4.6L (1996-2004 Modular) Mustang Technical discussions on 1996-2004 4.6 Liter Modular Motors (2V and 4V) within.

CO2 Cooling

Search this Thread

Old 06-21-2006, 02:59 PM
GodAmGT00
5th Gear Member

Default RE: CO2 Cooling

True about the intake temps. The majority of engines love cooler intake temps. Cooler air = more dense = more fuel = more power..

Hmm, I don't know.. I'd say alcohol inject. is probably better, only for the fact that it's more reliable.

You ask, "How is it more reliable?" Well, w/ Alcohol injection, it's a metered amount of Alcohol per Airflow, versus w/ the CO2, as the ambient temps change, so does the intake temps = Tougher to tune to.

All in all though, CO2 is pretty great, if you can afford it..

JT
Old 06-21-2006, 08:11 PM
drw0392
1st Gear Member

colder air=denser air=more O2 molecules= better combustion= more power

CO2 is actually inexpensive, I filled my 10# bottle for $14.34, no discounts or hook-up what so ever.

The kit does include a toggle switch. (DEI calls it a 'priming button' to prefreeze the componets while in the staging lane)

The CO2 is to just cool the air down, it never actually is run through the motor, where as the alcohol is actually injected into the motor for combustion.
Old 06-21-2006, 08:25 PM
VARifleman
3rd Gear Member

"Cooler air = more dense = more fuel = more power.. "
This was correct to begin with, drw0392. The MAF gets the weight of the air going in, and adjusts fuel accordingly. More dense air means more weight of the air which means more fuel is injected and can be burned.
Old 06-21-2006, 08:38 PM
GodAmGT00
5th Gear Member

I hope CO2 is never run directly through our motors, since it's inert...

But, when I mentioned CO2 being sort of expensive, it'd be nice to know how much is expended when priming, how much is expended per spray, if it's not a "Apply as needed."

The other part of why Alcohol is better, is because you know it's using ALL of the injected liquid, vs. CO2 spray is not controlled by anything other than the jets, therefore, if it's windy, you may only get 70% (just a number, results may vary)..

JT
Old 06-21-2006, 09:53 PM
drw0392
1st Gear Member

ORIGINAL: VARifleman

"Cooler air = more dense = more fuel = more power.. "
This was correct to begin with, drw0392. The MAF gets the weight of the air going in, and adjusts fuel accordingly. More dense air means more weight of the air which means more fuel is injected and can be burned.
Thanks for the clarification.

As far as how long the bottle will last i'm not sure, I've only had installed for a week, and most of the time the wife has been driving, so its not being used that often. THe CRYO2 system and the alcohol injection system make extra horsepower in different ways. So, I'm still confused, are you saying that the alcohol is used to cool the intake air GodAmGT00?
Old 06-22-2006, 12:52 AM
M1ke
4th Gear Member

the setup he has is made for an intercooler and isnt really helping much other than lowering coolant temps.
i know they do make a intake kit where it has a thing where the gas expands inside of it and the intake air flows around it dramatically cooling air intake temps which WILL give you a performance increase if tuned for it. it fits inline of you cai kinda like a maf

The CryO² Air Intake consists of an aerodynamically designed bulb with a cryogenic chamber which is mounted in a 4" segment of air tube. The air passes over the bulb, heat is removed from the air charge resulting in a colder, denser, more powerful charge
that motorcycle gas tank lookin thing is where the co2 expands inside of it
Old 06-22-2006, 09:31 AM
GodAmGT00
5th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: drw0392

As far as how long the bottle will last i'm not sure, I've only had installed for a week, and most of the time the wife has been driving, so its not being used that often. THe CRYO2 system and the alcohol injection system make extra horsepower in different ways. So, I'm still confused, are you saying that the alcohol is used to cool the intake air GodAmGT00?

No, I'm not saying that.. What I'm saying is that, if you're using either product to decrease Pre-detonation, or to assist in tuning your vehicle, then Alcohol is the preferred, more reliable product.. The CO2 is best when you have a very controlled environment...

JT