4.6L (1996-2004 Modular) Mustang Technical discussions on 1996-2004 4.6 Liter Modular Motors (2V and 4V) within.

3.8 to 4.6 & Auto to Manual

Search this Thread

Old 06-17-2006, 09:13 PM
N3va3vaSatisfi3d

Default 3.8 to 4.6 & Auto to Manual

This is my first post I understand but I am by no means new to cars. I always research things before I get started and can't seem to find answers only people complaining or arguing. I will start by saying THIS IS NOT MY CAR I am working on. My girlfriend has a 1996 Base Stang Automatic. I acquired from a friend a complete 1997 Stang GT 5-speed manual for FREE. It was hit hard on the passenger side. This means I have a complete running donor car so everything is ready to swap.

I just want NO OPINIONS, I don't care what you think about what I should do, I am just looking for sites/links that go through step by step for both a 3.8 V6 to a 4.6 V8 conversion so I can get this done as fast and effectively as possible. Then also a 96-98 Automatic to Manual swap site/link. I have done this a lot with other cars and I research them and check up/re-read FAQ's before I do things no matter how many times I do it. I am a Chevy man and she wants to keep her Stang and not sell it or get a new one. Unless any of you have a WS6 for sale cheap, because that is what she really wants, lol.

Most will say I am wasting my time, but sure it is my time and my money. I haven't found a sticky yet that has either of these in it so I am reaching out to anyone who has sites, because Google pulls up everything for either brand new Stangs or Fox bodies.

I want to say thanks to all that help in advance, and by all means I am not trying to be rude I just hate it when people feel they need to start flame wars over what is better or more efficient, if you want to talk about that then tell her. I am not willing to try and argue with a woman about how stupid an idea is.
Old 06-17-2006, 10:42 PM
01and96stanggt
2nd Gear Member

Default RE: 3.8 to 4.6 & Auto to Manual

Chevy's suck, only decent car they make is the corvette, this chevy guy seems like an *******
Old 06-17-2006, 10:47 PM
mustangman02232
6th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: 01and96stanggt

Chevy's suck, only decent car they make is the corvette, this chevy guy seems like an *******
hey man, he asked for no opinions, so dont give him any, even if we all know an M-90 swap is cheaper and faster then an NPI 4.6
Old 06-17-2006, 11:59 PM
N3va3vaSatisfi3d

LOL, what I expected to get from this forum after researching for hours and seeing how people react to everything. I know what is easier too, trust me, it is her car and this is what she wants, and it is her money. I told her I would do it, so I am a man of my word. Oh yeah did I forget to mention I own an 89' Stang GT with a 5-speed? Sorry I didn't know I had to let you know every car I own to be cool on a Stang forum... lol.

Just wanted to add, I don't think a first time stick driver needs to go fast at all, but she thinks she can handle a V8 after learning on my Stang.
Old 06-18-2006, 01:14 AM
01and96stanggt
2nd Gear Member

ya it would of been good to mention that, you don't come to a ford mustang forum and talk about how your a chevy guy
Old 06-18-2006, 01:50 AM
so1o2k3
4th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: 01and96stanggt

ya it would of been good to mention that, you don't come to a ford mustang forum and talk about how your a chevy guy
People like you give this forum a bad reputation. Chevy does NOT suck, they have plenty of cars that will outrun our mustangs. Keep you biased opinion to yourself even when someone does not specifically ask not to post opinions. You should get banned for being so ignorant.

Back on topic, honestly I don't know any good resources or references to help you out. Sorry. Good luck with your girlfriend's car. She must be a keeper for you to be willing to do all this work for her
Old 06-18-2006, 03:20 AM
HaV
5th Gear Member

Man, I would do this. Strip both cars COMPLETELY.. you have different motors, mounts, kmembers, transmissions, suspension, drive shaft, rear end, gauges, wiring harness, computer...

If you buy a haynes manual, they have the full rebuild step by step pretty much.. if you have all parts laying around ready to go, then it should be a build by numbers ordeal...

Or strip the v6 and just immediatly move stuff over. lol, what ever.
Old 06-18-2006, 05:31 PM
mustangman02232
6th Gear Member

i believe acer did a T-45 swap on his GT so you might want to PM him if he doesnt wander in here and tell you where he got it

for the motor, im not sure on a kit, but if you swap everything, suspention, rear end, tranny, drive shaft, motor mounts and the whole computer it should be fine, and please, dont badge it as a GT, it may have a V-8 but VIN numbers dont lie
Old 06-18-2006, 06:21 PM
jmmorgan82
3rd Gear Member

why shouldnt he put gt badges on there? it's the same thing as us GT guys putting Cobra badges on our cars...when we still have the 2v motor. at least he'll be somewhat close to a GT.
Old 06-19-2006, 01:20 AM
N3va3vaSatisfi3d

LOL well thanks for some of your input. I have read a Haynes and Chilton manual front to back and pretty much have it memorized I was just wanting to read up on someone who has step by step. I plan on completely stripping the V6 first then moving somewhat part by part from the GT over to the Base. Trust me I do not plan on Badging it as a GT even if she wants me to. It is just like putting a Type R sticker on a ricer, I think we can all agree that it is retarded. I 100% agree no matter how many heart transplants something goes through it doesn't change the body. Plus she wants to race when she gets better (just local stuff) and I think it would be funny for a girl with a “VIN 4” (if I recall correctly) to stomp an unsuspecting fellow V6 Stang because they trust a VIN to tell what is under the hood. I guess a Chevy guy is going to be the first one on this Stang forum to make a write up on this? Please tell me it isn't so.

Quick Reply: 3.8 to 4.6 & Auto to Manual