4.6L (1996-2004 Modular) Mustang Technical discussions on 1996-2004 4.6 Liter Modular Motors (2V and 4V) within.

Has anyone fixed the ticking nosie in their motor?

Search this Thread

Old 06-18-2006, 04:12 PM
The_Herf

Default RE: Has anyone fixed the ticking nosie in their motor?

Um, I (still have) had a similar noise in my engine compartment coming form the front of the valve cover. It could be enginve sludge stopping up your oil pump filter not allowing sufficient oil flow to your belt tensioners creating a tick, or a knock as mine happened. IF the person that had it before you didnt service the car regularly, it is quite possible that htis is the problem. As you stated, it was 2.5 quarts low, that could be a sign imo. IF the car is worth it to you, I suggest bringing it into a shop to be diagnosed, because, as others have pointed out, it could be any number of problems.
Old 06-18-2006, 05:41 PM
damdanger
2nd Gear Member

dont foget about the lovely slack in the timing chain, thats what im dealing with now
Old 06-18-2006, 06:03 PM
mustangman02232
6th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: jkade72

I am sure it is in the motor I know what an exhaust leak sounds like. I guess this baby will have to go to the auction next week. I changed the oil and added some lucas but no help.
Thanks for the help.
could be a lifter, try this, take off the oil filter and drain the oil out of it, do not compltely drain the oil just whats in the filter, then top it off with tranny fluid, and fill up with chevron techron gas, or as shell calls it V-power, then compltely change the oil in a week or so
Old 06-18-2006, 08:53 PM
CJFANNI
2nd Gear Member

Being a mechanic you should know that if you add motor honey to the engine it will stop ticking for a little bit, so the guy you bought it from might have did something to that nature to stop ticking long enough for you to take it home and do a 360.

I checked the oil and it was 2.5 quarts low. I reckon it has coils and it is for sure not electrical. I just bought the car today and when I test drove it I know it was not making that noise. Sounds like it is coming from the drivers side at the front of the valve cover. The oil didn't seem to help much. I haven't drove it that hard, I hope these motors will take more than what I have given that one. The boy I bought it from didn't look like he was the hell rasing type to treat the car ruff. What could it be or should I even worry about it.
Thanks
Old 06-19-2006, 11:42 AM
GodAmGT00
5th Gear Member

Also seems that for it to have spun a bearing that it would have had to lose oil pressure and it never did that. I know it was low but not enough to do that.

I'm not advocating the fact that your engine may have some serious bearing trouble, but this quote alone, makes me think otherwise...

If you're 2.5qts LOW on a 5.5qt system, that ALONE on LEVEL ground is enough to constitute LOW OIL PRESSURE. Never trust the stock gauges, since they are usually only there are reference, and should never be taken at complete face value..

If you're going around in a circle, and don't have good enough baffling in your oil pan, being 2.5 qts low, o r being 4qts low wouldn't make much of a difference.. You're still putting your entire rotating assembly at risk...

Have you tried to Sea-Foam, or clean the engine internals?? My first bet is a stick valve.. Doesn't take much to clean.. Search on the Archives here for tips on Engine Internal Cleaning...

So what, still making the noise after you've cleaned it??

Best thing to do now, is get some Feeler guages, pull your oil pan, and check your tolerances. While you're at it, check the oil pain for metal flakes, shavings, or otherwise foreign objects... If all of those things come up negative, then move on...

Oh, and someone said to check for adjustment.. 99% of all hydraulic valve trains are not lash-adjustable, they automatically adjust....

JT
Old 06-19-2006, 12:14 PM
Dan04COBRA
Super Moderator

ORIGINAL: mustangman02232

could be a lifter, try this, take off the oil filter and drain the oil out of it, do not compltely drain the oil just whats in the filter, then top it off with tranny fluid, and fill up with chevron techron gas, or as shell calls it V-power, then compltely change the oil in a week or so
Where is the lifter in a modular motor? [8D]
Old 06-19-2006, 01:04 PM
cobrapony27
1st Gear Member

4.6s have hydralic lash adjusters which are commonly called lifters, but do no lifting to open the valve. All they do adjust the valve lash automaticly, and cannot be adjusted. One end of the cam follower sets on the lash adjuster and the other on the valve, and the cam rotates around and works the follower to open the valve. Hope this clears up things.

I have delt with this valve train alot in circle tracking, and its very realiable, but every now and then a lash adjuster would blow apart or pump up and cause a ticking noise.
Old 06-19-2006, 03:19 PM
GodAmGT00
5th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: cobrapony27

4.6s have hydralic lash adjusters which are commonly called lifters, but do no lifting to open the valve. All they do adjust the valve lash automaticly, and cannot be adjusted. One end of the cam follower sets on the lash adjuster and the other on the valve, and the cam rotates around and works the follower to open the valve. Hope this clears up things.

I have delt with this valve train alot in circle tracking, and its very realiable, but every now and then a lash adjuster would blow apart or pump up and cause a ticking noise.

Thank you for clarifying my broken text... I forgot what they called them exactly...

JT
Old 06-19-2006, 03:56 PM
cobrapony27
1st Gear Member

ORIGINAL: GodAmGT00

ORIGINAL: cobrapony27

Thank you for clarifying my broken text... I forgot what they called them exactly...

JT
No problem man, your welcome. i forget half the time what there called.

jkade just follow godamgt's advice and that should let you find something out.
Old 06-19-2006, 04:43 PM
Miliock
3rd Gear Member

Don't the injectors make a "ticking noise" I know mine do lol

Quick Reply: Has anyone fixed the ticking nosie in their motor?