4.6L (1996-2004 Modular) Mustang Technical discussions on 1996-2004 4.6 Liter Modular Motors (2V and 4V) within.

cobra front brakes

Search this Thread

Old 06-19-2006, 02:07 PM
mustang_montana
4th Gear Member

Default cobra front brakes

well after hearing about a couple people having braking problems, i remembered that i reall gotta replace mine soon, seeing how i should be at or around 400whp after the 24th (dyno tune). im stuck between doing the 96-98 cobra brakes or doing the newer cobra r 4 piston brembo calipers and upgraded rotor. the price difference is huge of course. i doubt ill be going much over 430-450whp anytime soon, so im thinking the 13" cobra front brakes will be fine, along with some new rear calipers/pads. so what are you guys running for brake setups?
Old 06-19-2006, 03:04 PM
01BlueCobraVert
2nd Gear Member

Default RE: cobra front brakes

I did SS brake lines w/ Mach 1 calipers and 13" brembo crossdrilled/slotted rotors. I purchased everything seperately and spent less than you will find the brake kits for. I also got the crossdrilled/slotted rotors which I have yet to see a kit w/ them w/o upgrading. Total I spent around $430.00. Granted i don't have my motor work done at this point but it is remarkable how much better I can stop. Also I don't get the pulling to one side when I hit the brakes hard while going 90+ when someone on the turnpike cuts me off.
Old 06-19-2006, 04:01 PM
Mt Twigbert
4th Gear Member

Brakes are for pussies.. You've spend so much money going fast why do you want to spend more money to slow down? Keep your stock brakes IMO.. You'd just be pissing away money..
Old 06-19-2006, 04:07 PM
mustang_montana
4th Gear Member

youve got to be kidding me. its common knowledge that the faster you can go the better brakes youll need to stop. stopping power is equally important as hp in my oppinion, either at the strip or on the street. theres no way in hell im keeping the stock brakes. i just really hope you were joking, braking power is VERY important especially if you increase horsepower.
Old 06-19-2006, 04:13 PM
Mark99GT
4th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: Mt Twigbert

Brakes are for pussies.. You've spend so much money going fast why do you want to spend more money to slow down? Keep your stock brakes IMO.. You'd just be pissing away money..

eh, you've got cobra brakes. Thats what he wants; whats wrong with that? Cobra brakes are waaay better than GT brakes....
Old 06-19-2006, 04:17 PM
GodAmGT00
5th Gear Member

I actually prefer my car to stop faster than it can accelerate.. For that reason alone, I've dropped a lot of money in my current set-up to ensure that no matter what speed I'm flying at, I can always stop...

When choosing brakes, don't use HP/TQ as a reference, since it really has no bearing on what kind of driving you'll be doing (other than fast...) The best way to determine your braking needs is to choose street or strip...

If you want a set-up that stops great cold, or hot: Choose a street set-up. If you want brakes that stop better hot than cold, go w/ a Strip set up... Do you drive on the street more than the strip?? What other mods do you have (i.e. Suspension upgrades, lightening of your car, tires, etc..) that could be enhanced by better brakes??

I've seen car manufacturers go big on items like engines, or trannies, but have NEVER IN MY LIFE seen a manufacturer go big on things like brakes, or suspension, on models that are not considered "Special Edition." The Mustang is no exception...

JT
Old 06-19-2006, 04:49 PM
mustang_montana
4th Gear Member

for suspension i havent installed it yet, but i got billstein springs and shocks, mm cc plates, and granatelli upper/lower c/as. suspension will be installed after i do the breaks. after that its gears and drs. i will only be going to the track once or twice to see how she runs so basically its just a street car.
Old 06-19-2006, 04:53 PM
mightyb28
2nd Gear Member

Dude, he was ganken your chain!
Old 06-19-2006, 05:06 PM
amoosenamedhank
5th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: Mt Twigbert

I'm going to go ahead and say he was joking because there is no way someone could actually think that.
Old 06-19-2006, 11:07 PM
kasper
1st Gear Member

Yea I think he was just trying to get a rise out of you.

Quick Reply: cobra front brakes