4.6L (1996-2004 Modular) Mustang Technical discussions on 1996-2004 4.6 Liter Modular Motors (2V and 4V) within.

cams for Kennebell supercharger

Search this Thread

Old 06-20-2006, 05:31 PM
Jskeezy84
2nd Gear Member

Default cams for Kennebell supercharger

I recently got an 04 gt and hopefully if i can ever sell my celica i want to supercharge my gt. Im probly gonna make around 6000 to 7000 then after i pay some things off ill have round 4000 to 5000. I want to buy cams now but with a completly stock gt and supercharging inmind can i even run better cams and if i can do i need cams that are boost specific or just some stage 1 cams or something?
Old 06-20-2006, 06:15 PM
dsg04gt
3rd Gear Member

Default RE: cams for Kennebell supercharger

Well, if the car is stock, theres alot that you need to consider before even thinking about the cams and a supercharger. Full exhaust, rear end gears, Tb/Plenum (dont waste your time on a CAI if your getting supercharged), Suspension upgrades to get your power to the ground, and your gonna need some wider tires out back if you ever want to be able to use your first 2 gears. Also, with a supercharger plus all of the bolt ons, your gonna be around the limits of your stock engine. If you get a cam, then your definately gonna have to get forged internals... So your looking at ALOT more than 4-5grand right now.

EDIT: Clutch would probably be a good idea too.. Im sure i forgot some stuff.
Old 06-20-2006, 06:24 PM
Jskeezy84
2nd Gear Member

yeah... i only wanna run 6psi i figure thats enough to keep the insides safe. new rubber thats a deffinate. looking at new wheels/tires and springs/shocks currently. Kennebell has dyno charts with there supercharger at 6psi and its putting down 364rwhp on a stock gt i figure thats keeping the internals at or just above 400hp which is good right? ive priced pistons and rods but have no idea how much that stuff is to get installed. My main thing is could i run cams now that can be used for n/a then supercharging, but i guess after supercharging ill be pushing the limits eh?
Old 06-20-2006, 06:33 PM
dsg04gt
3rd Gear Member

If your only gonna run 6psi, then the internals are fine. THe max for stock internals is 450 RWHP, so u can safely run anywhere between 400-440 rwhp, depending on how far you wanna push it. I would say with a Kenne Bell at 10, 430rwtq and 420 rwhp is plenty to make you happy on the streets. So, if your going to run something like 10 Psi, u need the intercooler, and with all the required supporting bolt ons, even without the cam, youll be pretty dam close to your engines limits. If your having everything installed, running 10 psi or more with forged internals and a cam, your looking at an EASY $10,000.
Old 06-20-2006, 06:33 PM
LvGordo
4th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: Jskeezy84

yeah... i only wanna run 6psi i figure thats enough to keep the insides safe. new rubber thats a deffinate. looking at new wheels/tires and springs/shocks currently. Kennebell has dyno charts with there supercharger at 6psi and its putting down 364rwhp on a stock gt i figure thats keeping the internals at or just above 400hp which is good right? ive priced pistons and rods but have no idea how much that stuff is to get installed. My main thing is could i run cams now that can be used for n/a then supercharging, but i guess after supercharging ill be pushing the limits eh?
If you ahve the dough, get the blower then all the other upgrades, you will see greater gains of the other pieces after the blower. But to answer your cams question, get a vt stage 1 or mph blower cams. I have the vts and they do very nicely.
Old 06-20-2006, 06:45 PM
Jskeezy84
2nd Gear Member

thanks! yeah i knew from the get go i was gonna spend some bucks. but i just got the car and like it alot so i know ill have it for awhile and will dump plenty in it. I just cant wait to sell my other car so i can get that supercharger, really pisses me off that stock these cars have like 240 rwhp
Old 06-20-2006, 07:33 PM
VARifleman
3rd Gear Member

ORIGINAL: dsg04gt

Well, if the car is stock, theres alot that you need to consider before even thinking about the cams and a supercharger. Full exhaust, rear end gears, Tb/Plenum (dont waste your time on a CAI if your getting supercharged), Suspension upgrades to get your power to the ground, and your gonna need some wider tires out back if you ever want to be able to use your first 2 gears. Also, with a supercharger plus all of the bolt ons, your gonna be around the limits of your stock engine. If you get a cam, then your definately gonna have to get forged internals... So your looking at ALOT more than 4-5grand right now.

EDIT: Clutch would probably be a good idea too.. Im sure i forgot some stuff.
ORIGINAL: dsg04gt
If your only gonna run 6psi, then the internals are fine. THe max for stock internals is 450 RWHP, so u can safely run anywhere between 400-440 rwhp, depending on how far you wanna push it. I would say with a Kenne Bell at 10, 430rwtq and 420 rwhp is plenty to make you happy on the streets. So, if your going to run something like 10 Psi, u need the intercooler, and with all the required supporting bolt ons, even without the cam, youll be pretty dam close to your engines limits. If your having everything installed, running 10 psi or more with forged internals and a cam, your looking at an EASY $10,000.
dsg, do you even bother to read the posts? First, he said he wants a Kenne Bell. That means that that TB/Plenum combo you suggested would be 450 wasted dollars if he got it. Second, no, you don't have to get any of those supporting mods, although they are a good idea. You pretty much ignore the fact he only wants to run 6. That should put him in the low to mid three hundreds. Check with MPH about their first level blower cams and see if they require any supporting mods. I wouldn't recomend a naturally aspirated cam.
Old 06-20-2006, 08:53 PM
blackgt225
1st Gear Member

i have the KB non-intercooled at 6# of boost ..my mods are...70mm t/b,full exhuast,CAI-fender mount,Iridium plugs and stock gears. after about a week i wanted the intercooled at 9-10# of boost. so, if i were you, i would skip the cams(for now) and just get the intercooled with @ 9-10#s. and if you are running stock gears look into some 3:55s or at most 3:73s with the KB. this should keep you pretty happy for a while.just PM me if you have any questions.