4.6L (1996-2004 Modular) Mustang Technical discussions on 1996-2004 4.6 Liter Modular Motors (2V and 4V) within.

What tool is used for.....?

Old 06-23-2006, 04:53 PM
jwmustangin

Default What tool is used for.....?

What tool is used for pulling the bearings off of the carrier when you are installing gears? Im tryin to do my homework and have everything I need in order to install my 4.10s myself in a day. I know that I can do this. I just want it to go as smooth as possible. I purchased a master installation kit (bearings, shims, crush collar, gasket, etc) for this job. My 01 gt has 54000 miles on it so I want to replace the components in the rear end while Im in there.

If any of you know what tool is used for pulling the bearings off of each side of the carrier it would help me out. Im looking to rent this tool from Autozone (if they have it). I called them and they said to use part no. 27129. This part no. references an axel bearing puller. Im not sure if this is the right tool. Like I said, Im trying to save myself some headache by eliminating the idiots just trying to give me a tool.....If any of you have done this job and gotten the tool from them could you please go to their website and look up the tool part number and shoot it back to me?!?!?!?!?

-Jeff
Old 06-23-2006, 05:10 PM
jwmustangin

Default RE: What tool is used for.....?

Does anybody on here do their own work?......as in not a 10 min job kinda work?
Old 06-23-2006, 05:14 PM
ASUSMC
4th Gear Member

You just barely posted wait an hour or so. I know its frustrating. Most people get the gears installed to prevent Gear whine and other problems that may come from installing them. What kind of 4.10's did you buy??
Old 06-23-2006, 05:22 PM
willyd465
3rd Gear Member

gears are not an easy task to handle, i do most of my work, but when i get gears i think im gunna take it in, unless you are extreeemly good with a wrench id say let teh pros handle it
Old 06-23-2006, 05:35 PM
jwmustangin

I got FRPP gears. They haven't come in yet but they are coming soon. Im just trying to get all my crap together before I go to war on the rear end. I can do the job. I've setup Ford 9s before with no problems. The only thing about that scenario was that it was for a car that could sit for a while. This meant that I could take my time. I dont want to drag it out on this car.

Im not gonna rush the job and screw it up. I just want to do this in a day!

Plus I think that if I get an answer to this post it could help out quite a few of us.

-Jeff
Old 06-23-2006, 05:40 PM
willyd465
3rd Gear Member

hey if i sounded like an *** like questioning your wrenching abilities i wasnt, just alot of people ask about gears and with you buildin 9's in the past you know they can be a pain in the ***
Old 06-23-2006, 05:53 PM
jwmustangin

Nah man....I wasnt taking you wrong....its cool. Im just looking for a cut to the chase, dont beat around the bush, kinda answer. Thats just me being a lil impatient!
Old 06-23-2006, 06:15 PM
ASUSMC
4th Gear Member

Cool I am sure the fact that you have done it before it is going to help. I am scared to do it myself. If I was to order any it would most likely be FRPP and I would take it to Ford to have them put it in. No warranty void then.
Old 06-23-2006, 06:20 PM
LvGordo
4th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: jwmustangin

I got FRPP gears. They haven't come in yet but they are coming soon. Im just trying to get all my crap together before I go to war on the rear end. I can do the job. I've setup Ford 9s before with no problems. The only thing about that scenario was that it was for a car that could sit for a while. This meant that I could take my time. I dont want to drag it out on this car.

Im not gonna rush the job and screw it up. I just want to do this in a day!

Plus I think that if I get an answer to this post it could help out quite a few of us.

-Jeff
joo get a bearing kit as well? might as well replace em while you are in there.
Old 06-23-2006, 06:41 PM
jwmustangin

"Joo" read the post?

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: What tool is used for.....?