4.6L (1996-2004 Modular) Mustang Technical discussions on 1996-2004 4.6 Liter Modular Motors (2V and 4V) within.

running so rich. its rediculous 10 mpg!! help

Search this Thread

Old 06-24-2006, 04:49 AM
GT_Bob
3rd Gear Member

Default RE: running so rich. its rediculous 10 mpg!! help

ORIGINAL: 2000mustsangGT

my mustang is running so rich its sad. i just bought it a week ago. everything should have been fine but no its not. im getting 10-12 mpg with city and highway driving. what could be causing this? i have no cels. only mod i know of is a bassani catback. i can get the car into the shop until 2 weeks. is there anything i can do? im spending 100 a week on gas. help! also its so rich upon a warm startup it starts up. goes to 1k rpm then dies. restart it works fine but still running REALLY rich

Codes codes codes codes codes codes codes codes codes and codes. You probably do not have a code reader and you said you can't get to a shop for 2 weeks. Other than park it, I'd say pop the hood and check for a plugged intake, (ie dirty **** filter) or possibly an intake leak. Do a thorough visual check on all of your vacuum hoses, yes even the big ones. If everything looks o.k., I think someone suggested checking the codes. Peanuts anyone?
Old 06-24-2006, 12:08 PM
GodAmGT00
5th Gear Member

my mustang is running so rich its sad. i just bought it a week ago. everything should have been fine but no its not. im getting 10-12 mpg with city and highway driving. what could be causing this? i have no cels.

Is it me, or did everyone miss the part I underlined??

What were you driving before?? Since you just bought it, I'm sure you're like most, where the pedal on the right, is the ONLY pedal on the floor...

Ease up on the gas, and don't drive in the city/around town so much if you don't want to spend the money on gas...

I've been dropping almost $200 a week on gas until I got the Civic back on the road.... Life sucks sometimes..

JT
Old 06-24-2006, 12:46 PM
mylongvictor
5th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: GodAmGT00

my mustang is running so rich its sad. i just bought it a week ago. everything should have been fine but no its not. im getting 10-12 mpg with city and highway driving. what could be causing this? i have no cels.

Is it me, or did everyone miss the part I underlined??

What were you driving before?? Since you just bought it, I'm sure you're like most, where the pedal on the right, is the ONLY pedal on the floor...

Ease up on the gas, and don't drive in the city/around town so much if you don't want to spend the money on gas...

I've been dropping almost $200 a week on gas until I got the Civic back on the road.... Life sucks sometimes..

JT
Amen to that. Thats why I keep my little 240sx. Its a ricer I know. But it gets better gas milage then my car does. Anyone here looking to get rid of a civic that runs and is between 1990 to 2000 let me know. Thanks

Old 06-24-2006, 01:04 PM
Black_sunshine
2nd Gear Member

did you buy it private or a dealer?
Old 06-24-2006, 01:16 PM
GodAmGT00
5th Gear Member

Sh-t, I get like 8-10 city, and that hasn't changed regardless of my modifications...

Although sometimes, I get 2-5MPG when I go out and find the twisty roads.. WOT and a good road make for sh-tty mileage...

JT
Old 06-24-2006, 01:21 PM
StickShifty
5th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: GodAmGT00

Sh-t, I get like 8-10 city, and that hasn't changed regardless of my modifications...

Although sometimes, I get 2-5MPG when I go out and find the twisty roads.. WOT and a good road make for sh-tty mileage...

JT

god damn!!!!!!!!!! thats really bad. i get 17-18 city.
Old 06-24-2006, 01:24 PM
labman

you talk about being rich. id like to know do you need a tune if you install a cold air intake have heard yes no yes no have 2000 gt ???? what ya think ?
Old 06-24-2006, 01:34 PM
GodAmGT00
5th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: StickShifty

god damn!!!!!!!!!! thats really bad. i get 17-18 city.

But see, I don't look at it that way.. I get my kicks doing WOT pulls on twisty roads, and I can almost watch my gas gauge sink.... That's my vice now, since I've quit drinking, smoking and being a turd... It's a great stress relief..

That's why I always get vocal about people complaining about their gas mileage... I spend a big chunk of my paycheck to own/operate my car... It's my hobby, so I treat it as such.. Expensive..

JT
Old 06-24-2006, 01:35 PM
labman

you talk about being rich. id like to know do you need a tune if you install a cold air intake have heard yes no yes no have 2000 gt ???? what ya think ?
Old 06-24-2006, 01:39 PM
GodAmGT00
5th Gear Member

You don't necessarily need to tune it....

You could ALWAYS optimize your car's performance by tuning it, even tuning it from the Factory settings...

Do you need to, no...

JT

Quick Reply: running so rich. its rediculous 10 mpg!! help