4.6L (1996-2004 Modular) Mustang Technical discussions on 1996-2004 4.6 Liter Modular Motors (2V and 4V) within.

How long do plugs last?

Search this Thread

Old 06-26-2006, 01:17 PM
tcuallstar
4th Gear Member

Default How long do plugs last?

Hey guys kinda a silly question but how often should i change my plugs? ive got 21K on my car and all the mods listed in the sig? is it very hard to change them? what plugs do you reccomend and any tips on doing it?
Old 06-26-2006, 01:28 PM
StickShifty
5th Gear Member

Default RE: How long do plugs last?

i have 23,000 on mine and i need to change mine, it is not starting as quick as it used too.
Old 06-26-2006, 02:26 PM
monkeydude3
6th Gear Member

they are specified at 100,000 mile platinum plugs. This, however, is bull. they will last, but they wont be pretty when you pull them out.

I usually say at 50-60,000 is a good time to change the plugs. Buy the OEM motorcraft platinum tipped plugs. You do not have enough mods to justify putting in anything more. I put the OEM plugs in my car, and it loves them, runs exactly like it's supposed to.

With your car, no they are not too difficult. Just be careful and take your time... some of the back ones can be a PITA... sometimes the fuel rail is in the way so it has to come out, and sometimes you can work around it. I've done them on NPI and PI 4.6s and 5.4s before.

George
Old 06-26-2006, 04:23 PM
JasonUGA

Looking to replace w/ Motocraft Platinum as well and also.... do the 9mm performance wires also make a difference / help in any way. Mine are blue but are probably either original or have had 80k put on them. Bought mine used in 1999 w/ 40k on it.
Old 06-26-2006, 04:28 PM
luckymckay21
2nd Gear Member

Took me an hour to change them yesterday, Look at the sticky on the top of the 4.6 Tech page that says "Read before posting" and scroll down until you see the "how to change sparkplugs" sticky. Code3GT wrote it up and it's actually simple. You won't have to touch your fuel rail, just use the right tools and your set. You will be happy you did, i only had 42000 miles on my car and man what a difference. Not nearly as sluggish as before.
Old 06-26-2006, 11:49 PM
monkeydude3
6th Gear Member

upgrading the plug wires just makes for a cleaner spark, if anything it will run a scosche smoother. If you are goin in there, may as well make a quality upgrade.

About 8000 miles ago I replaced my plugs, and it seemed to run smoother just doing that. eventually I'll get around to doing the wires, at which time I figure I'll go 9mm, either MSD wires or ford racing or something... not sure
Old 06-26-2006, 11:54 PM
blueherd02gt
5th Gear Member

did mine friday got ~14k miles on my car I change my plugs every year to 18mos but my car isnt a dd so I maintain it differently than most plus i'll do anything to get under the hood
ORIGINAL: monkeydude3

they are specified at 100,000 mile platinum plugs. This, however, is bull. they will last, but they wont be pretty when you pull them out.

I usually say at 50-60,000 is a good time to change the plugs. Buy the OEM motorcraft platinum tipped plugs. You do not have enough mods to justify putting in anything more. I put the OEM plugs in my car, and it loves them, runs exactly like it's supposed to.

With your car, no they are not too difficult. Just be careful and take your time... some of the back ones can be a PITA... sometimes the fuel rail is in the way so it has to come out, and sometimes you can work around it. I've done them on NPI and PI 4.6s and 5.4s before.

George
[sm=exactly.gif]
Old 06-26-2006, 11:55 PM
monkeydude3
6th Gear Member

when in doubt, pull a few plugs and have a look see!!!
Old 06-26-2006, 11:56 PM
blueherd02gt
5th Gear Member

what plugs did you go with?
ORIGINAL: luckymckay21

Took me an hour to change them yesterday, Look at the sticky on the top of the 4.6 Tech page that says "Read before posting" and scroll down until you see the "how to change sparkplugs" sticky. Code3GT wrote it up and it's actually simple. You won't have to touch your fuel rail, just use the right tools and your set. You will be happy you did, i only had 42000 miles on my car and man what a difference. Not nearly as sluggish as before.
Old 06-27-2006, 12:07 AM
luckymckay21
2nd Gear Member

ORIGINAL: blueherd02gt

what plugs did you go with?
ORIGINAL: luckymckay21

I went with the NGK TR55 "Iridiums?" The 5 star rated 6 dollar ones from Advanced auto parts.

Quick Reply: How long do plugs last?