4.6L (1996-2004 Modular) Mustang Technical discussions on 1996-2004 4.6 Liter Modular Motors (2V and 4V) within.

Buying 99 GT/Cobra

Search this Thread

Old 06-27-2006, 11:40 AM
88BlueGT
6th Gear Member

Default Buying 99 GT/Cobra

Here is the situation. A good friend of mine is very interested in this car. I am pretty much a noob when it comes to 4.6L motors (Im a 5.0 guy) so I am just wondering; when I go and look at this car is there anything specific I should look for? Also, are there any questions that I should be asking him? I am FLYING to go look at this car so its very important that I know every detail about it before I go down there because I dont want to waste my time/money. He claims that it puts down just under 500rwhp.... sound right? Thanks guys.

Here is a brief description of the car:
03/04 Cobra motor w/ less than 7000 miles on it.
T-56
4.10 gears
FRPP Lowering Springs
18" Konig "Beyond" wheels wrapped in Nitto Drag Radials
3" cowl hood
Rear spoiler moved back (great aesthetics!)
2.8 pulley swap
Gates belt
Aeromotive A-1000 Fuel system (sumped tank, pump, regulator, and -8 line all the way)
MGW shifter (orange handle)
Redline leather shift boot and e-brake boot
13" Cobra front brake kit
K&N CAI
Flowmaster Exhaust
Auto meter gauges (*Fuel Pressure and Boost)
Dual Pillar Pod
Black Anodized "6 speed" shift ****
Spec Stage 3 Clutch
Spec Aluminum Flywheel
Black LED 3rd brake light
Cobra Headlights & Taillights
Steeda Clutch Kit (Double pick up quad, Cable, and Firewall adjuster)
Rear Battery mount
Shorty Antenna
Bullitt Pedals w/dead pedal
SCT Tuned (Modular Powerhouse)

I am sure there are a few more mods..... I just cant think of them right now. I will post them if I can remember anymore.

Also, all GT badges are ON the car. This thing is the sleeper from hell. Just about everyone thinks its a stock GT with an exhaust. Another bonus is that it still has the live rear end instead of the Cobra IRS. The car runs perfectly. Modular Powerhouse out of GA did the swap. I purchased this car off of SVTPerformance.com a few months ago. The only reason I am selling is because I just got a new job and need a full size pick-up. I have title in hand and it is free and clear from any lien.

Old 06-27-2006, 02:10 PM
wwmost
5th Gear Member

Default RE: Buying 99 GT/Cobra

well if you know anything about modular motors you know about modular powerhouse. very good guys down there. i went there fwhen they had a dyno day. they know their stuff. soo i wouldnt be to worried about the swap. just look at the body lines. make sure they line up. i wish i did on my car when i bought it because i found out it has been in an accident and now its pretty obvious to me. look for overspray and if you look under the hood look for bolts that look like they have been turned. make sure it shifts good. brakes good. im sure other peapel can chime in. good luck. sounds like a badass car.
Old 06-27-2006, 02:12 PM
bsteen81
3rd Gear Member

Check the lower intake manifold, ask to see all the receipts and standard used car buying checks, i.e. listen to motor for a while, check the gauges, watch the pulleys rotate, I would be worried about the motor the most. Alleged 7k on it maybe he didnt break in correct?? If you are flying out there you must have some money so take it to a mustang shop and have it checked out.
Old 06-27-2006, 02:24 PM
bsteen81
3rd Gear Member

Well I am not to sure how you can get 500 HP from just an exhaust, chip and pulley. I know that cobra motor is strong but...
Old 06-27-2006, 02:25 PM
wwmost
5th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: bsteen81

Well I am not to sure how you can get 500 HP from just an exhaust, chip and pulley. I know that cobra motor is strong but...
you dont have to do alot to get those motors up and over 500 hp.
Old 06-27-2006, 02:29 PM
bsteen81
3rd Gear Member

ORIGINAL: wwmost

ORIGINAL: bsteen81

you dont have to do alot to get those motors up and over 500 hp.
Well, then thats really cool.
Old 06-27-2006, 02:31 PM
nanaki
Retired MF Moderator

a catback and K&N drop in K&N filter got an 03 cobra to 425RWHP. no pulley, no chip, no nothin.
Old 06-27-2006, 04:11 PM
88BlueGT
6th Gear Member

I have heard of Modular Powerhouse and I know they did good work so I am not too worried about the motor/trans. I will definetly check for the basics though. Also, the guy who owned it before him decided to paint his boat next to the car so it got a ton of overspray on it so he just had it resprayed last year. He said that the car is "flawless" so we will just have to see. Also, I am not buying the car; a good friend of mine is and hes paying for me to come out there with him. I drive a 93 GT, does it sound like I have money??

Also, I was kind of curious about the horsepower but I have heard of people slapping on exhaust and an intake and running 425rwhp+. Pretty crazy...

Is there any 4.6L related problems that I should look out for? Thanks alot guys.
Old 06-27-2006, 04:16 PM
88BlueGT
6th Gear Member

Also, he is asking 15.5K for it. I thought that the price was really good considering a used GT w/ like 30K cost that much. We are going to see if we can get him to drop it a little under 15K so my friend can get some money back for the plane tickets there And hes going to need to spare some money for all the tickets hes going to get on the 17 hour drive home [&:]
Old 06-27-2006, 04:20 PM
redass02gt
EXTREME Moderation

hsi face is gonna hurt like hell from having a stupidass grin for 17 hours in a row.

Quick Reply: Buying 99 GT/Cobra