4.6L (1996-2004 Modular) Mustang Technical discussions on 1996-2004 4.6 Liter Modular Motors (2V and 4V) within.

salvaged cobra?

Old 06-27-2006, 11:02 PM
Mark99GT
4th Gear Member

Default RE: salvaged cobra?

like everyone else said, get the price down. and specifically what dan said. If you want to resell the car or trade it in you're gonna take a big hit.

and like Hank said, its never gonna be the same. Things in the front (since it was a frontal collision), like the frame, k member, motor mounts and suspension parts may be slightly bent, which would create headaches when you try to replace them with new parts down the road.

Who knows if the engine was really damaged or not. Mine was twisted out of alignment but ran ok. With a frontal collision the whole drive train (motor, tranny, drive shaft, rear end) takes the shock if its hit hard enough.

Just some things to think about. Its still a sick car!!!
Old 06-27-2006, 11:09 PM
blueherd02gt
5th Gear Member

My buddy took his 03 cobra to the track fri night. Well I just got off the phone with him, he said he was staging his car everthing looked fine felt fine, well he gunned it off the line and didnt move so he's like wtf? found out today that the IRS cant handle ~550 horses he's gonna have to drop a GT rearend in his car
ORIGINAL: Mark99GT

like everyone else said, get the price down. and specifically what dan said. If you want to resell the car or trade it in you're gonna take a big hit.

and like Hank said, its never gonna be the same. Things in the front (since it was a frontal collision), like the frame, k member, motor mounts and suspension parts may be slightly bent, which would create headaches when you try to replace them with new parts down the road.

Who knows if the engine was really damaged or not. Mine was twisted out of alignment but ran ok. With a frontal collision the whole drive train (motor, tranny, drive shaft, rear end) takes the shock if its hit hard enough.

Old 06-27-2006, 11:13 PM
Voodoo
3rd Gear Member

Go to www.KBB.com and type in the car your looking for and your zip code to check dealers and local listings. I bet you'll find more than a few to choose from.
Old 06-27-2006, 11:30 PM
wwmost
5th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: blueherd02gt

My buddy took his 03 cobra to the track fri night. Well I just got off the phone with him, he said he was staging his car everthing looked fine felt fine, well he gunned it off the line and didnt move so he's like wtf? found out today that the IRS cant handle ~550 horses he's gonna have to drop a GT rearend in his car
ORIGINAL: Mark99GT

your point?? they didint make the car for peaple who mod them. they made the car and all its componits to handle the power it had from the factory. they arnt gonna build a rear from factory for 600hp if the stock car didnt come with that.
Old 06-27-2006, 11:51 PM
blueherd02gt
5th Gear Member

Ohh yea my point is the guy's tryin to get a wrecked car that's been repaired, If it were me the only benefet of this would be to buy one cheaper than the going rate and keep the rest in the war chest for stupid shyt like replacing the IRS and such
Old 06-28-2006, 04:03 AM
96cobra10101
3rd Gear Member

ORIGINAL: dvs_03gt

are you sayin its easier to get a non wrecked cobra from somewhere?

because i cant find any out in vegas for sale except for some private owners and they are drop tops which i dont want.

and hell yeah im going to take it for a serious ride when i get a chance heh.
Take the I-15 south to the I-10 west. When you see a bunch of smog you'll be in a prime location for finding used terminators.
Old 06-28-2006, 04:08 AM
Rpvsurfer
1st Gear Member

Well im my opinion I would take a hard look at it, I myself just bought a 2001 cobra with 30k miles for 9000, and it drives great, just take the car to any local ford and for like 90 dollars they will do a bumper to bumper check.