MustangForums.com

MustangForums.com (https://mustangforums.com/forum/index.php)
-   4.6L (1996-2004 Modular) Mustang (https://mustangforums.com/forum/4-6l-1996-2004-modular-mustang-7/)
-   -   Best Brake Upgrade?... (https://mustangforums.com/forum/4-6l-1996-2004-modular-mustang/144792-best-brake-upgrade.html)

shadowfoxx 06-27-2006 07:13 PM

Best Brake Upgrade?...

I am looking at doing a full break upgrade soon but am not sure which one to go with yet. I know that wilwood, baer, and brembo are all nice but was wondering if you guys have hade any experience with any of these.. or any aftermarket big break kit for that matter... keeping in mind that I prefer road race over drag. thanks.

2001 GT.

Tac2cul 06-27-2006 07:22 PM

RE: Best Brake Upgrade?...

i have the Baer BIG brake kit on my 01

13" drilled and slotted rotors all round...

very easy to install

the overall feel is freakin awesome

better then stock.

the front calipers were a 2 piston design same as the stock ones.....

i got this kit...the fronts were way cheaper when i got mine

linkie

i have some pics if you'd like to see more :D

shadowfoxx 06-27-2006 07:31 PM

ORIGINAL: Tac2cul

i have the Baer BIG brake kit on my 01

13" drilled and slotted rotors all round...

very easy to install

the overall feel is freakin awesome

better then stock.

the front calipers were a 2 piston design same as the stock ones.....

i got this kit...the fronts were way cheaper when i got mine

linkie

i have some pics if you'd like to see more :D

thanks for the response.. the pics are not necessary.. I'm really just interested int he performance of them.. Being that they are only 2 piston (same as stock)..can you feel a big difference?.. I want to make sure that I can stop on a dime in any situation.. .. again .. thanks for your input.

David_K 06-27-2006 08:08 PM

if you have the money get the stoptech kit. if not go with brembo

rbstang 06-27-2006 08:08 PM

willwood 6 piston calipers :D

Tac2cul 06-27-2006 08:56 PM

if u wanna stop on a dime go with what was said above

more pistons the better :)

5speedbeauty 06-27-2006 10:02 PM

i did all new brakes all around...i have brembo rotors and hawk pads, and i have never been able to stop better.

p.s. tire rack has them kinda cheap, and most of the time they are delivered next day.

good luck!

Flyingmau5 06-27-2006 11:22 PM

brembo ftw :)

shadowfoxx 06-28-2006 11:30 AM

thanks for all the input guys.. I'm going to think it over and I will let you know what I picked and how they do once I make a decision and put them on.

GodAmGT00 06-28-2006 11:44 AM

ORIGINAL: Tac2cul

if u wanna stop on a dime go with what was said above

more pistons the better :)

Although partly true, it's more about the sweep area, and rotor cross section that matter. Remember, heat dissipation is key to a good braking system..

Any of the aftermarket packages offer great brake power. Keep in mind that those kits are literally engineered to stop better... If you can get rear vented rotors, get them. It'll only help you more.. Go big up front, unless you want to change your proportioning valve, since you rear brakes only see about 15-20% duty ever.. They're mostly there to slow down the driveshaft, and as an e-brake..

That doesn't mean skimp out of them either though, since even at 15%, that's enough to slow you down in a pinch..

JT