4.6L (1996-2004 Modular) Mustang Technical discussions on 1996-2004 4.6 Liter Modular Motors (2V and 4V) within.

New Guy Questions

Search this Thread

Old 07-01-2006, 12:06 AM
Wild6

Default New Guy Questions

Hi everyone! What a great site, lot's of good info here. I just bought a high mileage 98 GT 5 spd that has a cracked intake. I found a seller on Ebay from Florida selling these updated intakes pretty cheap, $199 for the standard or $309.00 for the Hi Po. The price on a standard kit is a few bucks less than my cost at a Ford dealership so I want to go that way as they are lifetime warrantied and Fords ain't. Has anyone used this guys intakes? I think they are Dorman brand by looking at them, not sure. Would the Hi Po intake be worth the xtra dollars?
Also I see some performance clutch kits on Ebay (calling them Stage 1, 2, or 3's) and they seems very inexpensive. Are they junk or good? My clutch feels very near the top and the throwout is noisey.
I'm sure to have a ton more questions as I get to looking my car over and hope to be able to ask them here without some **** telling me to stop asking stupid questions. Already had that happen on another forum. Thanks in adavnce.
Old 07-01-2006, 01:18 AM
crash94
3rd Gear Member

Default RE: New Guy Questions

Welcome to the forums!

Most people on here will tell you to just get the standard replacement for the intake and put the extra money towards something that will give you better gains. As far as buying one off Ebay vs Ford, I'd probably spend a few extra bucks and get the one from Ford. Yeah it says it has a lifetime warranty, but, I could take a dump in a box and slap a warranty on it (thanks TommyBoy ) but if I'm not around to cover you if a warranty issue comes up then you're SOL.

As far as the clutch question, I'll leave that up to some of the other guys.

And on the question about stupid questions, try to use the search option first and then ask the question. It gets crazy around here when everyone starts a 4:10 vs 3:73 thread every other day.

Have a good time!!
Old 07-01-2006, 01:37 AM
Wild6

Thanks for the reply crash. The warranty on the intake doesn't worry me a lot, the only times these failed was at the front crossover. I like your Tommy Boy comp though, lol. I work at a Ford dealer so I get stuff at cost, but that doesn't always equal the best deal. I'm not oppossed to A/M stuff in some cases. This Florida sellers feedback is 99.9% after over a thousand sales. I guess my biggest question is about the performance option and if it is worth it.

The search feature on most forums works ok, just that few use them because they are clumsy. I do search often but also ask questions often. Just amazes me that some people get bowed up about someone asking questions on a discussion forum, lol.

Thanks again for your reply. I'd still welcome those replies of others as well.
Old 07-01-2006, 01:39 AM
monkeydude3
6th Gear Member

for your clutch, I would strongly reccomend a ford racing king cobra. It can be gotten for $200 or less.

I'd also suggest that you have the flywheel resurfaced whenever you install it, as the clutch will be like silk and last much longer.

I have this clutch in my 97 GT, and it's GREAT. smooth for daily driving but when you get on it, it grabs super tight. The noise could be from the throwout bearing. Any other questions let me know, I did my clutch myself and am VERY pleased with the results

George
Old 07-01-2006, 01:53 AM
Wild6

for your clutch, I would strongly reccomend a ford racing king cobra. It can be gotten for $200 or less.
Thanks for that info, that was one of the clutches I was most curious about. Have seen a Buy It Now for $169.00 on that one. For sure my T/O is making noise but, now that I think about it, it only does it in nuetral with the pedal released. You'd think it would be when engaged right? Is there a clearance problem? Maybe I am thinking wrong? Thanks again!
Old 07-01-2006, 01:54 AM
monkeydude3
6th Gear Member

TOB makes noise in both manners, and it sounds like yours is out.

I ordered my king cobra kit from summit racing, it was $170 plus shipping so it was bout $190 to my door.

It's been in my car almost 2000 miles and it can be smooth or tight as heck... depending on what i wanna do lol

George
Old 07-01-2006, 02:02 AM
willyd465
3rd Gear Member

i got my king cobra for 169 i think, but from mustangtuning, and with free shipping and "mustangboards" it was really really inexpensive
Old 07-01-2006, 02:23 AM
FrostByte
5th Gear Member

Is it normal for TOB to make some noise or should it be quiet all the time? I can hear mine some times @ lower RPM's but clutch feels good.

TIA
frosty
Old 07-01-2006, 02:31 AM
monkeydude3
6th Gear Member

ehhh ford TOB are always noisy... as long as it's nothing too loud i wouldn't worry
Old 07-01-2006, 04:33 AM
SikGT
3rd Gear Member

Welcome. I'm still new here too.

Quick Reply: New Guy Questions