4.6L (1996-2004 Modular) Mustang Technical discussions on 1996-2004 4.6 Liter Modular Motors (2V and 4V) within.

what would this be worth?

Search this Thread

Old 07-03-2006, 12:04 AM
StickShifty
5th Gear Member

Default RE: what would this be worth?

ORIGINAL: 03SilverGT

put everything back to stock, sell all your aftermarket parts on ebay or somewhere and trade your car in on the cobra, Thats what i did

the most logical thing anyone has said in a long time. that is bayfar your best bet!! you will gain alot in the long run, sell the car with the appearence mods, and bring that engine back to stock and play dumb when selling it.
Old 07-03-2006, 12:42 AM
2000GT4.6
6th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: meebix

Definitely depends on the buyer, Im sure they is someone out there that would want your car and pay a hefty amount for it.

The problem is like 2000GT continues to say... Your are almost positively NOT going to find that buyer. Mods 100% devalue a car, and even though you spent 10K, you are going to take a huge hit on the car. Most people want to know exactly whats going into the car, and are going to want to build up themselves. Cars that have been modded out like yours, MOST average people who don't know much about the cars consider your car a "Beater." Even though all of us know you took great care of the car, the average buy sees the mods and turns away because they automatically assume the car has been beaten on.

If you really want the Cobra thats awesome. But like some others suggested I would take apart the car, get it as close to stock as you can, and sell it. Then sell all the aftermarket parts and you will be A LOT better off. You will get more money for the car, and you will make a good amount of side money for the mods you sell helping to pay off that Cobra.

But again, the mods completely devalue the car. One reason why I am basically leaving my Vette completely stock with the exception of a few appearance mods and a catback, because otherwise a once $54K car will be worth nothing.

Good luck though with whatever you decide to do!
I cannot say that I agree that mods "devalue" the car. There might be a few people out there that are unwilling because they think you beat on it or they only want a stock car, but I can definatly see someone jumping on a blown/aftermarket transmission mustang for the book price or close to it.

I do not think that my car will sell for less than book if I wanted to sell it, and I do not think I would have any problems selling it for what the bank says it is worth, but I also doubt I will get anything extra for it because of all the parts.

You should be find doing mods to the vette so long as you take care of it. Anyone that has any knowledege about cars should be able to see one like I imagine your vette to be, or one like my car, that is well taken care of and in good condition. Its one thing to have a car with alot of mods that has had the crap beaten out of it. Its another if the car looks sharp and is clean and well taken care of.
Old 07-03-2006, 12:50 AM
hammeron
6th Gear Member

I hope you find a buyer and I hope you get your Cobra....lifes
to short, get the car of your dreams.....
Old 07-03-2006, 12:55 AM
code3GT
Mustang Nazi

I would be VERY surprised if you got over $15K for it. You will NEVER get your $$ back when selling a heavily modded car. I would either keep it or return it to stock and sell the aftermarket goodies seperately.
Old 07-03-2006, 12:56 AM
2000GT4.6
6th Gear Member

I would start by selling me that aftercooler
Old 07-03-2006, 01:03 AM
mustang_montana
4th Gear Member

part it out then sell it for sure. cobra is a good move but youre gonna lose a lot of money if you dont part your gt out first.