4.6L (1996-2004 Modular) Mustang Technical discussions on 1996-2004 4.6 Liter Modular Motors (2V and 4V) within.

X-Pipe vs. H-Pipe

Old 07-07-2006, 06:58 PM
sstang
5th Gear Member

Default X-Pipe vs. H-Pipe

What is the difference? Are the performance the same? I believe the H-pipe is usually cheaper. Is sound the biggest difference?
Old 07-07-2006, 07:07 PM
dsg04gt
3rd Gear Member

Default RE: X-Pipe vs. H-Pipe

H will be a little lower and alot deeper, X will be more high pitched and loud... X's usually tend to rasp more too.

EDIT: Performance wise, its maybe a 1-2 hp difference between a catted/ off road x or h. Dont get the one that says it performs the best, because now-a-days there all pretty much the same. Get the one that sounds the best with the combo you are looking at.
Old 07-07-2006, 07:10 PM
sstang
5th Gear Member

I assume a mustang that had LT's, o/r H-Pipe, and Flowmasters would be really loud? Also, is it worth the hassle of having to take o/r h-pipes off every time your car is inspected?
Old 07-07-2006, 07:56 PM
sprostang
I ♥ Acer

ORIGINAL: sstang

I assum a mustang that had LT's, o/r H-Pipe, and Flowmasters would be really loud?
That set up will sound awesome.
Old 07-07-2006, 08:10 PM
meebix
4th Gear Member

The performance difference between the two is minimal so don't worry about that. Base your decision on the sound.

X = little bit higher pitched, very deep in the low RPMs where it needs to be.

H = Deep. Deeper than X.

X is going to be overall, louder than the H throughout the entire band. Both are going to be just as choppy at WOT, don't let people tell you X is more choppy, because you will find the same with the H. I have heard from owners of both, that their H "pops" more than the X.

And to tell you the truth, I have an o/r X and it has YET to pop. It gurgles REAL NICE on deceleration and down shifting and it sounds amazing. I have never heard it pop, whereas H owners say they experience quite a bit of popping.
Old 07-07-2006, 08:21 PM
newb2000GT
4th Gear Member

+1

ORIGINAL: meebix

The performance difference between the two is minimal so don't worry about that. Base your decision on the sound.

X = little bit higher pitched, very deep in the low RPMs where it needs to be.

H = Deep. Deeper than X.

X is going to be overall, louder than the H throughout the entire band. Both are going to be just as choppy at WOT, don't let people tell you X is more choppy, because you will find the same with the H. I have heard from owners of both, that their H "pops" more than the X.

And to tell you the truth, I have an o/r X and it has YET to pop. It gurgles REAL NICE on deceleration and down shifting and it sounds amazing. I have never heard it pop, whereas H owners say they experience quite a bit of popping.
Old 07-07-2006, 09:03 PM
eternal981
2nd Gear Member

+1. sound is the only difference to concern yourself with.

and catted/offroad isn't as big of a difference as people make it out to be as far as performance. it will change the tone though.
Old 07-07-2006, 09:06 PM
Zero 16X
2nd Gear Member

I would go with the o/r X. The same as I am getting. Although I have inspectors that really dont care about catted or not. My car isnt catted and it passed inspection this last time around. Lucky me ^_^ Cant wait to get the X tho. I wanna hear the beautiful voice of my car.
Old 07-07-2006, 09:22 PM
rjgstang
3rd Gear Member

ORIGINAL: sstang

I assume a mustang that had LT's, o/r H-Pipe, and Flowmasters would be really loud? Also, is it worth the hassle of having to take o/r h-pipes off every time your car is inspected?
i have lt headers o/r x and flows and i think its sounds great, not loud at all
Old 07-07-2006, 11:35 PM
98MustangSTL
3rd Gear Member

Really, I would with Lt, o/r x, and flows your car would be really loud. I have long tubes and an off road h on the way. I'll let you know how it sounds.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: X-Pipe vs. H-Pipe