4.6L (1996-2004 Modular) Mustang Technical discussions on 1996-2004 4.6 Liter Modular Motors (2V and 4V) within.

whining when downshifting??

Search this Thread

Old 07-08-2006, 10:28 PM
wwmost
5th Gear Member

Default whining when downshifting??

ok this has been going on for pretty long. even before my mgw. anways. when im in 4th and want to downshift for slowing down it will goin to 3rd just fine and will whine a little bit but that doesnt bother me, then if i try to go into second while still moving it takes a little bit to get it in and it goes in but whines when im movine and if i try to go into 1st it seems like there is a wall there that wont let me in 1st gear and when i try to push to put it in it whines like a bitch. this only happens if im moving with the clutch in. but when im stopped it will go in all the gears fine. is it the synchros? i dont mind downshifting that much because i can just pop it in nutrual nd use my brakes but i dont want it to get any worse. any ideas??
Old 07-09-2006, 12:19 AM
eternal981
2nd Gear Member

Default RE: whining when downshifting??

i guess i'd have to see it in person to see just how bad it is, but every stick i've ever driven (including mine currently) does that. none have been real hard or anything, just added resistance. what it usually seems like is it takes more TIME to get in gear, not more pressure. at least for me... can't say much about the whining though.
Old 07-09-2006, 12:21 AM
wwmost
5th Gear Member

well its fine when im upshifting but only downshifting
Old 07-09-2006, 12:22 AM
ShadowDrake
5th Gear Member

Happens to me too. Fourth is quiet regardless... third whines, can be heard accelerating. Second is mostly quiet, if I downshift into it, it'll whine (and it's tougher to get in to). First is near impossible to get in to at any speed above 15 mph and whines a lot.

It's normal.
Old 07-09-2006, 12:26 AM
wwmost
5th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: ShadowDrake

Happens to me too. Fourth is quiet regardless... third whines, can be heard accelerating. Second is mostly quiet, if I downshift into it, it'll whine (and it's tougher to get in to). First is near impossible to get in to at any speed above 15 mph and whines a lot.

It's normal.
exactly what is does. thanks for clearing it up
Old 07-09-2006, 12:31 AM
ShadowDrake
5th Gear Member

Also, do you have a lot of backlash regardless of gear? Like, cruise in 4th at 1500+ rpm, when you let go of the pedal does it make a smooth deceleration or does it feel like you're banging into something? All the gears do it, just anything above ~1500 makes it most noticible. I'm thinking we got the same crappy transmission [:@]

The backlash on mine is fairly large, I've considered everything from bad u-joints on the driveshaft to a broken transmission mount... but I'm thinking now that it's just real cheap and sloppy [&o]
Old 07-09-2006, 12:35 AM
wwmost
5th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: ShadowDrake

Also, do you have a lot of backlash regardless of gear? Like, cruise in 4th at 1500+ rpm, when you let go of the pedal does it make a smooth deceleration or does it feel like you're banging into something? All the gears do it, just anything above ~1500 makes it most noticible. I'm thinking we got the same crappy transmission [:@]

The backlash on mine is fairly large, I've considered everything from bad u-joints on the driveshaft to a broken transmission mount... but I'm thinking now that it's just real cheap and sloppy [&o]
no doesnt happen in 4th only in 1st but thats normal for me since it happend with the stock gears.
Old 07-09-2006, 12:37 AM
MustangChris04
5th Gear Member

I would never downshift into 1st if Im going over 10 mph. Say goodby to your 1st gear syncro if you continue to do this. These transmissions are known for being a bitch to put in 1st while moving but if you keep doing it then your going to run into problems down the line.
Old 07-09-2006, 01:07 AM
wwmost
5th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: MustangChris04

I would never downshift into 1st if Im going over 10 mph. Say goodby to your 1st gear syncro if you continue to do this. These transmissions are known for being a bitch to put in 1st while moving but if you keep doing it then your going to run into problems down the line.
nope it has never went in. its not like i downshift to slow down. i want to do it soo i can have it in first when i stop. but i found out i have to stop before i put it in first. when im in 4th i usually just go into 3rd and maybe 2nd to slow down thats it. but thanks for telling me this cuz i wont try it now
Old 07-09-2006, 01:20 AM
svollmer
1st Gear Member

yea it warns in the owners manual not to downshift into first at any speed over 15 mph or it will damage the trans. i have also heard that our cars have a lot of slack in the trans/driveshaft/rear end. i get that backlash feeling that you guys are talking about too. i wish there was something that could be done because the cars would feel a lot more solid if we could get rid of it.

Quick Reply: whining when downshifting??