4.6L (1996-2004 Modular) Mustang Technical discussions on 1996-2004 4.6 Liter Modular Motors (2V and 4V) within.

Need your advice, whats a good temporary fix??

Search this Thread

Old 07-09-2006, 12:24 AM
demon_head
4th Gear Member

Default Need your advice, whats a good temporary fix??

Ok, i've got a 96 GT, right around 119,000 miles on it....i take care of it really well, dont abuse it or anything, but i think my valve seals (what else might it be??) are starting to head south. It's using a bit more oil in between oil changes, and starting smoke more. The smoking is getting worse....if i leave my car idling for 10-15 min. or go in stop and go traffic for roughly the same amount of time, it starts to smoke noticably. It has NO overheating problems. What would a temporary fix be for this?? I was thinking about getting some of that Lucas stuff and adding it to my next oil change (the stuff that's kind of thick) would that help? Doing any kind of head swap or major engine work is out of the question...i'm completely broke, and didn't get **** for financial aid this year for school, so now i'm gonna be even more broke...if that's possible. Any help would be appreciated guys, i know this is a sorta long read, but i'm open to suggestions/solutions.

Thanx in advance.....and hopefully i'll get some responses tonight and i'll try to respond back, but i'm downtown at a friends house, trying to get drunk so if i don't get back to responses tonight, i will tomorrow...thanx again guys.....
Old 07-09-2006, 05:13 AM
Colorado_Mustang
5th Gear Member

Default RE: Need your advice, whats a good temporary fix??

There are products you can buy that will rejuvinate the seals. You can find them at most auto places and even Wal-Mart. I can think of a name right off hand...[&:]
Old 07-09-2006, 01:03 PM
wildazme
3rd Gear Member

dont use lucas it sucks, makes your car smoke more. buy this stuff called engine restore with csl in it. it will fill in the scratches of your cylinder walls and bring your compression back up. good stuff give it a shot.
Old 07-09-2006, 02:29 PM
oxfordgt
6th Gear Member

I hate to be the bearer of bad news but I have the same problem. I tried both products mentioned above and neither worked. I burned oil so fast (4qts in about 4 days) that now I have a ticking sound in the front of the motor. I think it is the timing chain tentioner. The only fix is to tear the heads apart yourself and replace the seals. The seals are $34 for the set, $80 for the spring compresser and I'm not sure about the cost for the air compressor tool to hold your valves up. I will be changing everything out in a few weeks for some VT stage II cams. I hope this fixes it.
Old 07-09-2006, 02:34 PM
M1ke
4th Gear Member

holy crap man a quart a day? thats a gaping hole somewhere.

demon_head try that engine restore with csl stuff. i used it when i switched to full synthetic from using fossil oil for 100k miles and had no leaks. but then again that car was babied by the previous owner, so it may not have even needed it. damn the placbeo affect
Old 07-09-2006, 04:30 PM
demon_head
4th Gear Member

thanx for the responses, i'll give that stuff a shot. See, mine hasn't used more than a quart of oil inbetween changes yet, but like i said, it's just starting to get worse now. I put about a half a quart in a few days ago and haven't really checked it yet, but i changed my oil about 2,000 miles ago, so that's not too bad i don't think( especially for a high mileage car)......i was also wondering if something else could be causing it to smoke. A friend of mine mentioned something about my pvc tube thing. I know mine is a little dry rotted around where it connects, so maybe i could try replacing that, just to see what will happen.