4.6L (1996-2004 Modular) Mustang Technical discussions on 1996-2004 4.6 Liter Modular Motors (2V and 4V) within.

steering wheel question

Old 07-11-2006, 06:03 PM
bizarre660
2nd Gear Member

Default steering wheel question

hey guys im changing my steering wheel because im tired of that plain one color interior and starting to put some after market stuff inside. my question is how do i disconnect the airbag so that the thing doesnt blow up in my face as im taking the wheel off? thanks
Old 07-11-2006, 06:12 PM
sstang
5th Gear Member

Default RE: steering wheel question

Sorry, there is no other way. If you want to upgrade it, you're gonna have to take one for the team
Old 07-11-2006, 06:18 PM
LvGordo
4th Gear Member

yeah, when you disconnect it, it automatically goes off, airbag thinks car has been hit by the power loss. and btw, it wont come off unless you have the key on and you are sitting in the driver's seat, so do what i did, get some safety glasses and a hockey mask. It will be over with quickly then use a wheel puller. good luck.
Old 07-11-2006, 06:20 PM
sstang
5th Gear Member

get some safety glasses and a hockey mask. It will be over with quickly then use a wheel puller. good luck.
Couldn't have said it better!
Old 07-11-2006, 07:12 PM
shadowfoxx
3rd Gear Member

ORIGINAL: LvGordo

yeah, when you disconnect it, it automatically goes off, airbag thinks car has been hit by the power loss. and btw, it wont come off unless you have the key on and you are sitting in the driver's seat, so do what i did, get some safety glasses and a hockey mask. It will be over with quickly then use a wheel puller. good luck.

Thats nonsense... It's just dumb to think that is the only way to remove the steering wheel ... Don't listen to them.. Just think logical... the airbag needs power to go off right? And what are the ways it could get power.. the batter and some kind of back up.... well, it only has a reserve power of only about 10-20 mins so if you disconnect the battery for about 30 - 45 mins the power reserve gets drained and then it can't go off.

Here is a Link of a site doing it while giving you instructions without it going off.
Old 07-11-2006, 07:26 PM
LvGordo
4th Gear Member

shadow, you apparently have no sense of humor. I hope you didnt think i was being serious
Old 07-11-2006, 07:31 PM
shadowfoxx
3rd Gear Member

shadow, you apparently have no sense of humor. I hope you didnt think i was being serious

No Worries.. I know that everyone was just joking... If it was just one or two people I would not have said anything... but every person who replied to this guy was saying the same thing and I just didn’t want him to start reconsidering changing the wheel because he thought it would explode in his face.. [8D]
Old 07-11-2006, 07:34 PM
LvGordo
4th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: shadowfoxx

Yeah.. I know that everyone was just joking... If it was just one or two people I would not have said anything... but every person who replied to this guy was saying the same thing and I just didn’t want him to start reconsidering changing the wheel because he thought it would explode in his face.. [8D]
i didnt think i was coming close to what has or could happen, guess i need to be careful when i am trying to be funny.
Old 07-11-2006, 07:46 PM
sstang
5th Gear Member

You guys are right! We have all learned a valuable lesson today... whoops... there I go again!
Old 07-11-2006, 08:04 PM
bizarre660
2nd Gear Member

wait so i dont need a hockey mask to do it?

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: steering wheel question