4.6L (1996-2004 Modular) Mustang Technical discussions on 1996-2004 4.6 Liter Modular Motors (2V and 4V) within.

Need some knowledgeable advice: Starting on my 01 GT, what first?

Search this Thread

Old 07-12-2006, 02:45 PM
sgt.sak

Default Need some knowledgeable advice: Starting on my 01 GT, what first?

First time poster here guys. Have checked this site occasionally over time, and truly respect the experience on these boards. Let me start off by saying I know just enough to be dangerous...but have my limitations. I have owned 4 mustangs (67 fastback, 93 LX 5.0 with some toys, 98 gt, and most recently, an 01 GT). All of them, except the latter, I was forced to part with do to time and money limitations. Fortunately, the tides have turned and I am finally ready to start plugging away at my 01 which I have been pateintly waiting to do over the past 3 years I have owned it.

So here goes: Pretty much a clean slate. 50, XXX on VERY good and clean running 4.6 - 5spd, with eibach suspension, Flowmaster's and a K&N. That is where I left off several years back. Over the next year, I am looking to add some punch...but wonder where to start, what to expect (hp), and how much to expect $-wise. Yes...the questions I know all have asked. Again, I know just enough to be dangerous...but would like to hear from those of you who have gone down this road. Rather than waste my time with trial and error, I know most of you have been in my shoes and have some thoughts.

Eventually, a supercharger is inevitable, but for now, I would like to focus on the basic upgrades. Keep in mind that I DO have some help from a buddy who has wrenched from birth to compensate for my lack of inabilities. Here is what I am considering in no particular order:

1. 75mm throttle body
2. Off Road H (willing to pass up the X and a few more hp for sound... based on what I have been reading)
3. Shorty Headers (unless l-t headers have an advantage I am not aware of)
4. Underdrive Pulleys
5. Cold air intake (preferably BBK)
6. 4:10 gears

Am I on the right path? What kind of hp would I realistically notice at the Flywheel / rear with these mods? Is there a different setup that would give me a bigger bang for the buck? Am I missing something critical?

I am but a humble mustang guy wanting to get to the next level. Your time, thoughts, comments and suggestions are sincerely appreciated! Sorry for the long one.
Old 07-12-2006, 02:52 PM
geetee03
5th Gear Member

Default RE: Need some knowledgeable advice: Starting on my 01 GT, what first?

after i had my 4.10's installed i wished i had done them first.

a VERY close second would be long tubes and o/r H. a friend an i installed them in a few days and i would not consider myself car savy. it does not take special skills or special tools just some work. great sound and great power gains.
Old 07-12-2006, 02:57 PM
Birdieman4
5th Gear Member

Possibly consider going with mods to start that can be used in conjunction with the blower. I'd wait on the TB til you do a blower; I'd also consider omitting the pullies if you know it will get a blower eventually. All the exhaust stuff makes perfect sense, but you might consider waiting on the gears till after you get a blower. Just doing the complete exhaust and getting a tune will be huge. IMO, then add the blower in the future.
Old 07-12-2006, 03:23 PM
jacrockett
3rd Gear Member

The first question you need to answer is how much power do you REALLY want.

The second question is how much do want to drive it.

The third question is do you care about being smog-legal.

The last question is how much money do you have.

The 2-valve heads on the GT really suck. I wasted 30 thousand dollars pushing the limits. There is a difference between building a car that can make it down the track once, and a car that can be driven every day. With a twin-screw blower @15 psi with built everything and big cams, the best I could get was 420 RWHP on pump gas. If you can live with that limit, fine. Just remember that once you head down the 2-valve path, you'll never do better than that. The stock GT intake is fine until you get the blower. High-flow cat back and x-pipe are the cheapest mods that don't cost too much (stay with stock exhaust manifolds). When you do the blower, I recommend a 2.4 liter twin screw (don't mess with 1.7L), MAF, and cold air intake. The next level is porting the heads and bigger cams. If you want to get max power from a GT, twin turbos, but forget about ever passing smog.

I wasn't satisfied saying "for a two valve" every time people asked how fast my car was. That is why I converted to the 4-valve Cobra. I get 20mpg on the highway if I don't boost... and get this.... 500 RWHP!

I would have saved a ton of cash if would have just started with the 03-04 Cobra... I just didn't know the answer to the "first" question when I started. Good Luck =)
Old 07-12-2006, 04:17 PM
sgt.sak

To all...thanks for the feedback...jacrockett...here are some answers to your questions...

1. realistically, 325-375 hp. I know that others are not nearly satisfied with that...but keep in mind I am lucky if I have 230 hp at the rear right now. 325-375 would be a huge increase. If I can realistically and within a budget get more...great. That being said I am not greedy for MASSIVE power YET and DO understand that it is only a 2v engine. My goal is guess is to do the basics on a budget (0-3000.00), than later start playing with a blower, etc unless I can find one for a reasonable price.

2. It WAS a daily driver....now I drive it maybe 2 times a week. No track (yet). However, I really want to keep it reliable. I would much rather a reliable 350hp (for example) than a "what the he!! was that noise" 400hp.

3. Smog-legal - schmog legal.

4. $-wise, 14,500 for the car (3 years back)...currently have already invested about 3,000 in straightening the body, 18X9 saleen knocks, etc. I anticipate about the same within the year in engine upgrades to be completed at the same time. So...total around 3G in power mods? Most people would smack me for not allocating all to the power...but I guess I am looking for the best of both worlds. In time, my goal is to have roughly 7-10 in power mods as needed. Remember, not greedy. Goal...nice looking car...with a decent shot of *****. Realistically, in time, I would be perfectly satisfied with 420hp.

And yes...starting with something a little better to begin with (i.e. 03-04 cobra) would be the wise thing to do. Guess I have kind of gotten used to turning the key in this one. Shes grown on me. Anyway, from what I posted...what would you gather I would get in an increase? Otherwise, for 2-3g budget what would you recommend..and what could it push?

Old 07-12-2006, 05:56 PM
jacrockett
3rd Gear Member

If you're interested, I have a sh$& load of 2v performance parts that Im looking to sell. I'm Trying to get $3k for the Blower (and pulleys), and $3k for everything else. I live in So Cal.

2004 Mustang GT Parts:

Stock
Intake manifold
Throttle body
MAF
Intake tube/filter
Wire harness, coils, etc.
Water pump
Alternator
Pistons
Rods
Fuel tank/pump
Fuel rails (2 sets)
Fuel injectors
Shocks/struts
Front brake disk/calipers
Springs
Trailing arms
Heads (overheated, probably worthless)
Valves, springs, etc (no cams)
Valve covers
Exhaust manifolds
Front cover, timing chains etc.

Kenne Bell 1.7 L Intercooled Blower (complete kit)
6-rib pulleys (10 and 14 psi)
2 custom built titanium 8-rib pulleys (10 and 14 psi)
8-rib accessory pulley upgrade kit
7.5†crank overdrive pulley

Short block (detonated, needs new rings)
Romeo block (blueprinted)
GT crank (blueprinted)
Manley rods
Forged pistons

?????? Computer chip (holds 4 different programs)

California Performance Transmission 9-11 torque converter

Ford Performance Solutions 2v Heads (complete assemblies)
Ported castings
Crower stage III Cams, .600 lift
Comp Springs
Bronze valve guides

BBK shorty headers (ceramic coated)

BBK Valve Covers

K+N Cold Air Intake

36# Fuel Injectors

42# Fuel injectors

Eibach Springs

Old 07-12-2006, 06:20 PM
sstang
5th Gear Member

I just wanted to say don't go with shortie headers. They only give you minimal power gains while long tune headers will make a night and day difference. If I were you, I would wait on the H-Pipe, and get the long tubes and a shortie h-pipe at the same time.