4.6L (1996-2004 Modular) Mustang Technical discussions on 1996-2004 4.6 Liter Modular Motors (2V and 4V) within.

Need Some Information About Mods and possible a turbo.

Search this Thread

Old 07-14-2006, 03:05 AM
xxShaneOmac

Default RE: Need Some Information About Mods and possible a turbo.

ORIGINAL: 98HossGT

ORIGINAL: bsteen81

OK well, you should of done some homework before you bought kid. The 96-98 GT are among the slowest mustangs ever produced by Ford. What you will need to keep up with anything else is frist to do a PI head swap or just swap the motor with a 99 or newer. They will both cost about the same. Then you will need gears, cams, full exhaust, and depending on what compression you end up with, either a supercharger or turbo if you want or nitrous. High compression motors get nitrous and lower compression get S/C or turbo. Unless you replace your stock internals with forged, then you can run high compression with S/C, but that will COST YOU BIG TIME! And then you could always bore out your motor I think to a 304? I cant remember what the 4.6 bore out to, but then you will need new pistons and alot of other stuff. I hope your parents have some money!!
you know...i'm pretty sure i could beat a v6 stang stock for stock

instead of the pi swap and block work could i just upgrade my engine to a 01 gt? and go to tt?
also on a rough estimate how much preformace or horse power will cams and gears add
Old 07-14-2006, 03:07 AM
Chad99gt
1st Gear Member

ORIGINAL: xxShaneOmac

OK well, you should of done some homework before you bought kid. The 96-98 GT are among the slowest mustangs ever produced by Ford. What you will need to keep up with anything else is frist to do a PI head swap or just swap the motor with a 99 or newer. They will both cost about the same. Then you will need gears, cams, full exhaust, and depending on what compression you end up with, either a supercharger or turbo if you want or nitrous. High compression motors get nitrous and lower compression get S/C or turbo. Unless you replace your stock internals with forged, then you can run high compression with S/C, but that will COST YOU BIG TIME! And then you could always bore out your motor I think to a 304? I cant remember what the 4.6 bore out to, but then you will need new pistons and alot of other stuff. I hope your parents have some money!!

instead of the pi swap and block work could i just upgrade my engine to a 01 gt? and go to tt?
also on a rough estimate how much preformace or horse power will cams and gears add
On a NPI engine, im not sure, but on a PI engine, cams generally add about 25 rwhp. Gears really wake up the car, get ready for some fun!
Old 07-14-2006, 03:13 AM
xxShaneOmac

ORIGINAL: Chad99gt

On a NPI engine, im not sure, but on a PI engine, cams generally add about 25 rwhp. Gears really wake up the car, get ready for some fun!
how much do you think the PI swap will add
do you have AIM or anything like that lol
Old 07-14-2006, 11:38 AM
bsteen81
3rd Gear Member

ORIGINAL: Chad99gt

how much do you think the PI swap will add
do you have AIM or anything like that lol
A PI swap will put you at about 260 hp stock on motor.
Old 07-14-2006, 12:45 PM
nick_thames
3rd Gear Member

Ok.. Well its been 1 day with my ford mustang [not jokin about 23 hours right about now]
and i was driving i put 30 bucks into it and went 155 miles and it died. I guess i ran outa gass but i had | | left on my gauge so i dont know wtf was up with that but there fixing that right now at the dealership were i traded in my mazda. Supposply they just detailed the whole car and it looks pretty nice and **** but when i turn i start to smell a burning or mayb like a liquid or something and it dosnt smell to great.
Well so bassicly i wanna know why i cant just mod and turbo my current 97 motor.
What would be teh downside to just straight modding my currnet 97 gt motor.

I diffenly cant swap a motor or do a p/i swap that **** is over my head currently.. So i have to pay somone and if its 2k for the motor and 2k for labor thats ****ing alot i just spent 10k on my car. but is this what i ahve to do?

any ANY thing u guys know about my suition would help as i know NOTHING but what is in this thread.

So Take my stock 97 Gt mustang do a 01 eninge swap or a P/I swap and then get turbo cams and gears. I have a proformance clutch in it and exhaust .

I dont want nos I want twin turbo bov's intercolor that type of **** ..

thanks again to everone.

and a twin turbo kit.. do i have to go from stage 1 to 2 to 3 or can i just isntall stage 3? and is that a decent price 8 grand?
and were could i start looking for somone to do the labor on my engine or the swap?

thanks.
You probably have a busted heater core and what you are smelling is the coolant. When you turn is your carpet we under your feet. Usually this runs off behind the dash on to the carpet. At least it is on the old Foxes. I would listen to what these guys say as far as the motor swap. As far as the compression goes, I dont know s*** about that kind of stuff. Get the PI swap or the new motor, get a tune, gets some cams, and haul ***!
Old 07-14-2006, 12:54 PM
Zoie_daGT
5th Gear Member

OK man, here you go.

First, do a fully inspection of the car and how it is running. You cannot mod your car if it is not in good running order. Change ALL fluids and check the car. This is what you have-

4.6L SOHC V8 engine that has 16valves- 215 flywheel hp stock
T45 Tremec Transmission- good up to approx. 375 lb-ft of torque(if it is a five-speed)
8.8" rearend which kicks ***

The car has the Non-PI heads which is one of its downfalls. Dont let that get you down as it can be fixed/modded as you can see from the other posts.

There is plenty that you can do to make it faster after it is in good working order. If your final plan is to TT it(mine on my car as well) a good idea is to mod so that the mods will complement your final plan. IMHO, you should start off modding like this-

- gears(THese will help acceleration) They do not add hp but help you accelerate off the line and feel it more.
- full exhaust(headers, midpipe, catback) They open up the engine and free up some nice hp
- IMO, if you want hp now, do nitrous and tune. That is the cheapest hp you will get for the money until you can afford a TT kit

You can definetely do a PI swap for some nice gains; you will however raise the compression which is not good for forced induction such as blower or turbo. That is one downside that is not going for your final plan. You may want to research the kit as well. Look at HP erformance, Hellion turbos, or others. I personally like HP Performance but they are slow to mail kit. You are looking at about 7K by the time you get the parts and they you have to pay to install it or do it yourself. Most modular engine kits(You have a modular engine not pushrod) will be Twin turbo kits. The older 5.0 engines normally have single turbo kits.

Hope this helped you out some. I just answered a few questions that I had when I first got my car. Good luck and happy modding, it is a disease that will be with you untill the car is gone.

Old 07-14-2006, 01:59 PM
evil monkey
1st Gear Member

IMHO I would drive the car for a year the way it is before you kill yourself or someone else. slow or not your car is still a
V8 mustang and if don't know how to handle her she will spin back and bite you in the ***
Old 07-14-2006, 09:26 PM
lottje

Not real sure why you want TT on a 4.6 so bad. for the cost of that you could drop a 427 with 509 stock hp. Thats well more then what your car can handle right now. Plus tuning Turbos are pain in the ***. I am sure your 2v 4.6L is well fast enough for some one your age man, If you got cash to burn trade the car in and get a Mach 1 or a COBRA. 4V DOCH = Sweet. good luck.
Old 07-14-2006, 11:39 PM
xxShaneOmac

ORIGINAL: Zoie_daGT

OK man, here you go.

First, do a fully inspection of the car and how it is running. You cannot mod your car if it is not in good running order. Change ALL fluids and check the car. This is what you have-

4.6L SOHC V8 engine that has 16valves- 215 flywheel hp stock
T45 Tremec Transmission- good up to approx. 375 lb-ft of torque(if it is a five-speed)
8.8" rearend which kicks ***

The car has the Non-PI heads which is one of its downfalls. Dont let that get you down as it can be fixed/modded as you can see from the other posts.

There is plenty that you can do to make it faster after it is in good working order. If your final plan is to TT it(mine on my car as well) a good idea is to mod so that the mods will complement your final plan. IMHO, you should start off modding like this-

- gears(THese will help acceleration) They do not add hp but help you accelerate off the line and feel it more.
- full exhaust(headers, midpipe, catback) They open up the engine and free up some nice hp
- IMO, if you want hp now, do nitrous and tune. That is the cheapest hp you will get for the money until you can afford a TT kit

You can definetely do a PI swap for some nice gains; you will however raise the compression which is not good for forced induction such as blower or turbo. That is one downside that is not going for your final plan. You may want to research the kit as well. Look at HP erformance, Hellion turbos, or others. I personally like HP Performance but they are slow to mail kit. You are looking at about 7K by the time you get the parts and they you have to pay to install it or do it yourself. Most modular engine kits(You have a modular engine not pushrod) will be Twin turbo kits. The older 5.0 engines normally have single turbo kits.

Hope this helped you out some. I just answered a few questions that I had when I first got my car. Good luck and happy modding, it is a disease that will be with you untill the car is gone.

Amazing help
With every bit i Read i still have more and more questions but this helped alot!

Im trying to learn as much as possible im not doing a pi swap 2maro just i have the car and i want to know alot about it. Know what i need to do and what not. I prob wont mod it for at least a few months so i can get the tottal feel for the car and what not.

but thanks alot guys

Also is TT a bad idea?
I just saw some impressive TT mustang's and thought that was good.
Old 07-15-2006, 12:48 AM
sstang
5th Gear Member

TT's are a lot of dough. Plus, I think superchargers are more reliable. TT's would be great for a track car with their high numbers... but I'm not sure about the daily street car though. Superchargers are also half the price anyway.