4.6L (1996-2004 Modular) Mustang Technical discussions on 1996-2004 4.6 Liter Modular Motors (2V and 4V) within.

Not sure what to do next!

Search this Thread

Old 07-13-2006, 02:31 PM
joeybutts
4th Gear Member

Default Not sure what to do next!

Ok, so i am getting to the bottom of the lsit for performance bolt on mods. Things i am debating about buying are: MGW shifter, Borla Cat-back exhaust, TB+Plenum and Aluminum driveshaft. Also, I am planning on putting a KB on in the next 6months-year. That's making me lean away from the TB+Plenum. What would you all get? I have an ALuminum Flywheel waiting to go in too.
Old 07-13-2006, 02:36 PM
nick_thames
3rd Gear Member

Default RE: Not sure what to do next!

probably the cat-back then. Do you live in a state that does emissions? if not I would go with the O/R stuff
Old 07-13-2006, 02:50 PM
joeybutts
4th Gear Member

I was going to go with a offroad x-pipe but might move back to NY and they are crazy about having the right stuff, and i don't know anyone to help me out up there. And i have only lived her ein VA a short while so i stick to the books with that. Do they make off-road cat back systems?
Old 07-13-2006, 02:51 PM
sstang
5th Gear Member

probably the cat-back then. Do you live in a state that does emissions? if not I would go with the O/R stuff
+1, that would be sweet to live in a state that doesnt do emissions. Most do though don't they?
Old 07-13-2006, 02:52 PM
LvGordo
4th Gear Member

get a mild stage 1 cam, liek vt. it will give you nice gains now and work very well with the kb when you decide to get it.
Old 07-13-2006, 02:58 PM
joeybutts
4th Gear Member

OH will it!? I was thinkig about that too but wasn't sure if it would go well with the KB. Will i need to retune after installing cams? and do i need to retune after exhaust?
Old 07-13-2006, 03:18 PM
04BlueGT
5th Gear Member

The cat back is a good investment for now. No retune needed. Follow that up with cams and a tune. If you can swing it, P&P heads would be great. Once you get the KB on and tuned, you'll be golden. The only thing I wonder is if you'll need the smaller pulley to keep boost up on P&P heads. Anyone know that answer?
Old 07-13-2006, 03:21 PM
joeybutts
4th Gear Member

How much does a port and polish usually run you and how long does it take to get that done? My car is my daily so i couldn't be without it long...
Old 07-13-2006, 03:39 PM
04BlueGT
5th Gear Member

In your case, you should buy P&P heads and have them installed. You can buy patriot stage II's for $1,300 on ebay with everything except cams and covers.

Other companies with heads are VT Engines and Livornis.
Old 07-13-2006, 03:48 PM
nick_thames
3rd Gear Member

I would get the O/R X-pipe. Does NY do emissions? SC doesnt! (thank god) Honestly though does anybody think a cop (these days) is going to get down on all fours and look to see if you have cats or not? Most cops are gearheads anyway. All you have to do is talk to some people, find out who is the man to go to for the hookup. I know in SC back when they did emissions, you could go to Joe Blow and pay him the $3 it was and he would slap a sticker on there. Get the X-pipe, you wont be sorry!