vortech s/c - MustangForums.com

4.6L (1996-2004 Modular) Mustang Technical discussions on 1996-2004 4.6 Liter Modular Motors (2V and 4V) within.

Old 07-13-2006, 06:14 PM   #1  
jpaol99

Default vortech s/c

Hi, looking to be putting a vortech sc on my 2004 gt within the next month or so. Should i do bolt on adders before the sc or after it. If I do the sc first it will be a few months before i can afford anymore performance upgrades. If i do all the bolt ons first it might be six months before the sc. Car is stock besides CAI and catback exaust. Other than the sc I would like to do headers, x-pipe, accufab Tb and plenum, gears, custom tune, and intake manifold. Thanks for any responses. Justin
jpaol99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2006, 06:18 PM   #2  
Hoppers04Gt
4th Gear Member

Default RE: vortech s/c

Everything you mentioned would pretty much be everything you will need bfore you S/C it, Good Luck.

I would though recommened you upgrade your clutch after the S/C
Hoppers04Gt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2006, 06:26 PM   #3  
Gone22
1st Gear Member

Hey i was just wondering are under drive pulleys a waist if u get a supercharger. I saw a supercharger kit that came with some so if u have plans to eventually supercharge should you just skip getting UD pulleys?
Gone22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2006, 06:50 PM   #4  
nanaki
Retired MF Moderator

yeah. can't use UDs with a blower. just get the blower now and get it retuned after you put your gears on to correct your speedo.
nanaki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2006, 06:57 PM   #5  
jpaol99

Thanks, so i guess gettin the blower first and get that large chunk of money out of the way? Then just do the less expensive mods slowly after. I already have the SCT tuner so I wouldn't have a problem with changing the speedo for gears. And gear wise 4:10 sound good with my planned mods? Oh have only owned this car 3 weeks so am trying to get a game plan together. Thanks Justin

Old 07-13-2006, 07:20 PM   #6  
mustangGTdude1031
4th Gear Member

Quote:
ORIGINAL: jpaol99

Thanks, so i guess gettin the blower first and get that large chunk of money out of the way? Then just do the less expensive mods slowly after. I already have the SCT tuner so I wouldn't have a problem with changing the speedo for gears. And gear wise 4:10 sound good with my planned mods? Oh have only owned this car 3 weeks so am trying to get a game plan together. Thanks Justin

4.10's and a vortech= no traction. You could even keep your stock gears with an s/c. I see lots of people do that. I wouldnt go much higher than stock with an sc.
mustangGTdude1031 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2006, 07:27 PM   #7  
jpaol99

Thanks for the info, please feel free to correct anything I say as I'm not knowledgable in aftermarket parts/performance. Just want to get my car to about 375-400 rwhp. Dynoed at 238 when i bought the SCT. S/C intercooled or not? I was planning on going with one of the intercooled models? Also do you think I could put on the supercharger myself or should I go to the local performance shop? I really dont want to screw it up but it going to cost 1k plus for installation. Thanks for the responses this forum is great. Justin
Old 07-13-2006, 08:10 PM   #8  
LvGordo
4th Gear Member

Quote:

Thanks for the info, please feel free to correct anything I say as I'm not knowledgable in aftermarket parts/performance. Just want to get my car to about 375-400 rwhp. Dynoed at 238 when i bought the SCT. S/C intercooled or not? I was planning on going with one of the intercooled models? Also do you think I could put on the supercharger myself or should I go to the local performance shop? I really dont want to screw it up but it going to cost 1k plus for installation. Thanks for the responses this forum is great. Justin
you handy with a wrench? Depends on which system you get. If you get a vortech, people are scared off by teh oil pan tap. The rest is just bolting stuff and replacing other stuff. Getting the pulleys aligned is pretty critical. Then go for a tuna. 375-400 might be a bit optimistic, depnding on your mods, sorry if they were listed, i dont member. You should be ok for non-ic with 10lbs or less o boost. If you do teh s/c first, your will see more benefit from your subsequent mods.
LvGordo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2006, 08:43 PM   #9  
nanaki
Retired MF Moderator

Quote:
ORIGINAL: mustangGTdude1031

Quote:

4.10's and a vortech= no traction. You could even keep your stock gears with an s/c. I see lots of people do that. I wouldnt go much higher than stock with an sc.
please don't post things like that. i have a vortech and i have 3.73s. i tell you what. as soon as i'm done with all my other mods, i'm getting 4.10s. 3.73 isn't enough gear for a vortech. maybe with a KB i wouldn't go 4.10s. since boost doesn't kick in til about 3000rpm with a vortech, 4.10s are great.
nanaki is offline   Reply With Quote