4.6L (1996-2004 Modular) Mustang Technical discussions on 1996-2004 4.6 Liter Modular Motors (2V and 4V) within.

Catback...

Search this Thread

Old 07-14-2006, 12:58 PM
sstang
5th Gear Member

Default Catback...

My mustang is all stock right now, and it needs a new tone, because it doesn't even sound like a mustang right now. I've heard what flowmaster delta 40's sound like, and I like them. I do not have $450 to spend on a catback. I was thinking maybe I could get the delta 40's, and then get a muffler shop to make me 2.5 inch pipes, and I buy some 3" polished tips from somwhere. Would this be any cheaper? Has anybody done this? I know MAC has a catback for $350, and if it's cheaper, i guess I would go for that. (And yes, I know "you get what you pay for", but I seriously dont have that kind of money right now.)
Old 07-14-2006, 01:10 PM
buster
4th Gear Member

Default RE: Catback...

I had a muffler shop take off mystockers and weld a set of flowmaasters in their place. They do absolutely nothing for performance, but they sound cool. It cost me about $250. Spend your money on something like a flash tuner or something. That's my advice.
Old 07-14-2006, 01:11 PM
04BlueGT
5th Gear Member

go to www.completeexhaust.com and look at what they have.

If you call them about a particular cat back, tell them you are a forum member and you'll get a discount. For example, the all stainless steel MagnaFlow cat back lists on their site for $469.99. The discounted price is $339. Shipping is about $25. I believe that the MagnaPack is the same price.

Stainless steel lasts damn near forever. I got the exhaust in my sig for $765 delivered. Remember, the mid pipe will make a nice difference in your exhaust note.
Also, performance curve on ebay has Flowmaster American Thunder (40s) for $270 plus shipping. All mandrel bent aluminized tubing with tips. $300 is not bad.

Decide what sound you want first by listening to them in person. Audio/video files do not do them justice most of the time. Mine is much louder and deeper than my video. At idle, my sounds stock, but at WOT, it sounds nice and throaty and loud.

Best of luck.
Old 07-14-2006, 01:13 PM
sstang
5th Gear Member

Well, I can install/weld the stuff myself, which should save me some money. I was thinking I could get the muffler shop to make me some 2.5 inch pipes for a like $100-$150, and I would weld them on myself.
Old 07-14-2006, 01:33 PM
04BlueGT
5th Gear Member

If they mandrel bend them and are willing to do it, then go for it. Most here will not unless they get to install it. I did my install in about 3 hours. The mid pipe was easier than I thought, but none of my bolts stuck like others.
Old 07-14-2006, 01:56 PM
sstang
5th Gear Member

If you call them about a particular cat back, tell them you are a forum member and you'll get a discount. For example, the all stainless steel MagnaFlow cat back lists on their site for $469.99. The discounted price is $339.
You save $130 for telling them you are a forum member? That is insane!!!
Old 07-14-2006, 05:59 PM
sstang
5th Gear Member

Has anyone else had custom pipes made? If so, how much did they cost?
Old 07-14-2006, 06:46 PM
yuengling910
1st Gear Member

i don't know anything about having custom pipes made, but maybe you should just think about getting some flows welded in for the time being if all you want is tone. then maybe in the future you could save up and finish the rest of the system or get a complete catback. but +1 on the flows, i love mine.
Old 07-14-2006, 08:38 PM
luckymckay21
2nd Gear Member

from what i have been told, there really isn't that big of a difference between welding in a set of 40 series flowmasters and getting the whole catback. Performance wise your talking maybe 2-3hp. Tone and sound wise there the same. I think stock we have 2 1/4" tailpipes. So the extra 1/4" isnt really going to make that big of a difference. Just save your money and get some welded in. If i am wrong please correct me cuz i too was thinking about upgrading to a full catback until i heard there is no difference.
Old 07-14-2006, 10:05 PM
04BlueGT
5th Gear Member

I can't say that you're wrong, but besides the 1/4 inch, the stock pipes are not mandrel bent, so they have ripples and kinks in them. Just like the intake, you want it as straight and smooth as possible. To really see the full potential, you need headers and mid pipe. A mid pipe and cat back will set you back a few $$, but you can really tell the difference. After I installed mine, I was genuinely shocked at how it responded. I only expected the tone to change, but the power was noticeable. It was worth every penny I spent.

Quick Reply: Catback...