4.6L (1996-2004 Modular) Mustang Technical discussions on 1996-2004 4.6 Liter Modular Motors (2V and 4V) within.

where to start when I get my TERMINATOR

Search this Thread

Old 07-14-2006, 01:51 PM
evil monkey
1st Gear Member

Default where to start when I get my TERMINATOR

Hey all

I am going to be in the market for an 03-04 cobra probibly convertible shortly.
I was wondering if you guys could help me by putting a list of mod's in order of importance for me.
My goals with the car are gonna be to stay around the 500 hp mark. as for exhaust I am interested
in going to the side exit style but not 100% sold on that idea. leaning toward X pipe but unsure what
the difference between H and X are the the design.

Thanks in advance
Old 07-14-2006, 01:56 PM
monkeydude3
6th Gear Member

Default RE: where to start when I get my TERMINATOR

as far as full exhaust, pulley, tune and intake would probably get you there. any factory forced induction car responds pretty well to mods.

X is raspy and loud, H is deep. X gives more horsepower, H gives more torque... but by very small numbers.

Old 07-14-2006, 02:03 PM
evil monkey
1st Gear Member

ORIGINAL: monkeydude3

as far as full exhaust, pulley, tune and intake would probably get you there. any factory forced induction car responds pretty well to mods.

X is raspy and loud, H is deep. X gives more horsepower, H gives more torque... but by very small numbers.

I read somewhere that this year cobra needs the back pressure or she will lose power and torque how true is this.
and if I would benefit from headers and such which is a good brand
Old 07-14-2006, 02:04 PM
monkeydude3
6th Gear Member

by full exhaust iw ould mean headers, catted X, and catback.

i don't know how that could be possible, forced induction engines and high horsepower engines alike benefit from a free flowing exhaust. You may loose a bit on the low side, but up high the gains will totally out weigh it

SLP makes some good stuff... but lots of people on this forum use all different brands of headers... i'll let them chime in
Old 07-14-2006, 02:05 PM
newb2000GT
4th Gear Member

Actually, either H or X O/R is raspy, catted X-pipes are not raspy...I don't know where this info keeps coming from.

H pipes keep their deep tone through the RPM range. X pipes go from a deep tone at idle to a higher pitched roar at WOT. Sound is really the main difference in the two styles. All of the other differences are negligible from the evidence collected. 1 HP here 2-3 TQ there...can't go wrong with either as long as you're getting rid of the stock part.
Old 07-14-2006, 02:06 PM
ASUSMC
4th Gear Member

A pulley and tune would wake that car up a lot more than some mods. If you get exhaust + pulley and tune. Goodnight.
Old 07-14-2006, 02:18 PM
2k1gt
5th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: newb2000GT

Actually, either H or X O/R is raspy, catted X-pipes are not raspy...I don't know where this info keeps coming from.

H pipes keep their deep tone through the RPM range. X pipes go from a deep tone at idle to a higher pitched roar at WOT. Sound is really the main difference in the two styles. All of the other differences are negligible from the evidence collected. 1 HP here 2-3 TQ there...can't go wrong with either as long as you're getting rid of the stock part.
It comes from people like me who have friends with catted x-pipes that are raspy as hell...
Old 07-14-2006, 02:23 PM
Derf00
Gentleman's Relish

ORIGINAL: evil monkey

I read somewhere that this year cobra needs the back pressure or she will lose power and torque how true is this.
and if I would benefit from headers and such which is a good brand
3" is probably the largest exhaust I would go with. This is true for anything up to 600-650HP beyond that you could go 3 1/4 or 3 1/2. Some back pressure is needed and going to large WILL HURT performance.
Old 07-14-2006, 02:40 PM
newb2000GT
4th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: 2k1gt

ORIGINAL: newb2000GT

It comes from people like me who have friends with catted x-pipes that are raspy as hell...
Ah yes, I keep forgetting about the friend's car...[&:]

I think it also depends on the mufflers being used in combination with the midpipes. I have yet to hear any catted midpipe (X or H) that has sounded raspy IMO. I have heard O/R X's that rasp like a mother and O/R H's that rasp, pop, and ping like a can of spray paint being shaken. How people think this sounds like a muscle car or even a car in general is beyond my comprehension.
Old 07-14-2006, 03:09 PM
M1ke
4th Gear Member

please dont start with the backpressure BS. reminds me of my honda days.....[:@]

just an FYI - no backpressure is the best for ANY car. people confuse that with getting high diameter exhaust systems and think they are losing power cause there's no backpressure. they are losing power because of the too big of a pipe. the pressure of they exhaust being pushed out of your engine stays the same. so if you increase the volume, the velocity slows down which makes you lose power.

anyways on topic. ive read its pretty easy to get high hp numbers from one. full exhaust, intake, tb, pulley and a tune and you'll be no doubt fast but idk how much hp. those parts are a good start though.

Quick Reply: where to start when I get my TERMINATOR