4.6L (1996-2004 Modular) Mustang Technical discussions on 1996-2004 4.6 Liter Modular Motors (2V and 4V) within.

Some help with Rear spring replacement????????

Search this Thread

Old 07-16-2006, 05:35 AM
JT76

Default Some help with Rear spring replacement????????

i have H&R sport springs on my 02' GT.......i want to put my stock rear springs back in , to give it a more agressive stance and to improve my launches (lowered car=[:'(] launches), so how would i go about changing the rear springs back? I am asking pretty much for an "idiots guide" to this, i dont kno crapola about the cars suspension
Old 07-16-2006, 05:39 AM
MustangChris04
5th Gear Member

Default RE: Some help with Rear spring replacement????????

how much lower are the springs? I dont think you will see a difference if your not making much power. get some tires
Old 07-16-2006, 05:41 AM
GT_Bob
3rd Gear Member

http://www.mustangworld.com/ourpics/fcar/spring1.htm

This will give you a pretty good idea what you are up against. It's really not all that hard if you have the right equipment/tools to do it.

Good luck.

[sm=icon_cheers.gif]
Old 07-16-2006, 06:10 AM
JT76

ORIGINAL: MustangChris04

how much lower are the springs? I dont think you will see a difference if your not making much power. get some tires
the H&R sports lowered it about 1.5 inches in the rear.....my 60ft's are crapola 2.2's usually with the occasional 2.1, when i used to do 2.0's on street tires all day long with the stock set up.....i also have 2 sets of tires...... brand new stock tires on my Mach 1's and MT et streets on the stock bullits.....i also get BAD wheel hop
Old 07-16-2006, 06:13 AM
JT76

thanks for the link, is my 02' the same set up as a SN95 as in those directions?
Old 07-16-2006, 06:14 AM
GT_Bob
3rd Gear Member

Yes

As for the wheel hop, stiffer springs will help as well as stiffer bushings on your upper and lower control arms. Might want to look into after market control arms as well.
[sm=alcoholic.gif]
Old 07-16-2006, 09:41 AM
04BlueGT
5th Gear Member

^^^! I would not change your springs. The H&Rs are shorter, but probably have close to the same rates as stock. You'll have the *** end higher in the air and it will probably resist squating more than what you have now. If you want to change springs, then I would go with Lakewood or the like and have drag springs. Adjustable shocks and struts would be a good idea, too. However, it will not be cheap. I think most of your wheel hop can be cured by U/L CAs and subframe connectors. I have the Granatelli CAs and they are great. Took about 5 hours to install (I'm slow and cautious), but well worth it. I don't have subs yet, but Maximum Motorsports are very good.

Whatever you choose to do, best of luck to you.
Old 07-16-2006, 12:09 PM
GodAmGT00
5th Gear Member

+1

It's not exactly the best idea to swap your Stockers back in. Although the height it correct, if your shocks are sh-t, and the rest of your suspension is soft, then it's only going to amplify the problem....

JT
Old 07-16-2006, 09:43 PM
Colorado_Mustang
5th Gear Member

I have the stock rear springs along with lowered fronts (Motorsport 'B' springs). The rear has less traction for both taking off and turning corners right now. It does look good as a stance.

I would definitely look into some control arms to help your launch. Here's a picture of the stance:

Old 07-17-2006, 05:47 AM
JT76

ORIGINAL: Colorado_Mustang

I have the stock rear springs along with lowered fronts (Motorsport 'B' springs). The rear has less traction for both taking off and turning corners right now. It does look good as a stance.

I would definitely look into some control arms to help your launch. Here's a picture of the stance:

i thought you want the *** end higher for better launches......now you can all see that i know nothing

Quick Reply: Some help with Rear spring replacement????????