MustangForums.com

MustangForums.com (https://mustangforums.com/forum/index.php)
-   4.6L (1996-2004 Modular) Mustang (https://mustangforums.com/forum/4-6l-1996-2004-modular-mustang-7/)
-   -   High performance engines (https://mustangforums.com/forum/4-6l-1996-2004-modular-mustang/153284-high-performance-engines.html)

98 stang GT 07-17-2006 12:55 PM

High performance engines

Is it worth putting a high performance engine in my 98 stang or should i just get a new V8. The current one is high on miles and want something new with some more horse power. I found a 302 GT-40 315 horse on http://www.high-performance-engines.com/fe04.html for 3700.00(it says it fits in mustangs) . If any knows of a beter place tell me thanks.

bsteen81 07-17-2006 01:15 PM

RE: High performance engines

Well, you could get a 5.4L Navigator motor, DOHC w/Aluminum block or go to www.coasthigh.com or an ebay store, engines direct, to get a '99 GT 4.6 motor for 2k. There are a few other places that you could get one from as well. I know that atleast two of the sponsors carry high performance block and crate motors. The problem with getting a 5.0L (or the 5.4 for that matter) in your '98 is that nothing matches up. You will be spending alot of money buying new parts to mount that 5.0L in your car. The tranny, ECU, and wiring harness to say the least is the beginning of your problems. You would be much better off getting a high performance modular 4.6.

The '99 4.6L has the PI heads and intake so you wont have to worry about those, but it is a high compression motor so running a supercharger would not be an option with this motor, just nitrous.
You could go with a '98 Cobra motor but again you would have to change the wiring harness, ECU, and probably a few other things I am not aware of. I would make sure you know exactly what your plans for the car are going to be before you buy a new motor, i.e. S/C, turbo, nitrous because like I said before if you end up with a high compression motor and want to S/C it, you gonna be out of luck.

98 stang GT 07-17-2006 01:50 PM

The guy from high performance engines told me in his email, "Unfortunately there are a lot of things you would have to do to get this to work. You would have to get a new ECM/Computer or get it reprogrammed, new fuel injectors & new high flow fuel pump. Also depending on what shot of NOS you're planning on using, you'd have to change the bottom end of your engine & the compression ratio. Otherwise the engine itself will fit with some slight modifications."

I am going to email the costhigh guys to find out what i should.

Plus im geting a wet shot NOS soon so i need to know what to do.

wes ley n the G T 07-17-2006 03:08 PM

http://www.seanhylandmotorsport.com/ check out those engines. He's one of the best 4.6 builders around. They also have more than 4.6's so just check out the site.

PWORLDSTANG 07-17-2006 03:53 PM

Putting a new engine in could take up a lot of time and could cost a lot of money. Personally, I'd just go with a new V8.

Mark99GT 07-17-2006 04:04 PM

Ive been looking indepth into swaps, and Ive come to the realization that 99% of the time, dollar for dollar a forged bottom end and blower is gonna get you way more power than a motor swap. The other 1% is reserved for any freak deals you may stumble upon...

monkeydude3 07-17-2006 04:07 PM

I'm searching for either a short block or a complete rotating assembly kit for my engine.. mine's high milage, chuggin oil but runs smooth as silk so it's saveable.

I'm looking at DSSracing, VT engines, etc. Still drawing a blank for some good kits tho

Not sure which is chepaer, buying a short block or building mine. Seems a short block when it's all said and done is less than $1000 more than building it myself, so I may go that route

Mark99GT 07-17-2006 04:08 PM

oh, and if you havent already, do the PI swap while you're at it

monkeydude3 07-17-2006 04:12 PM

which would be better... i'm trying to build a good motor on a budget. How about porting and polishing my NPI heads, getting a valve job, rebuilding the heads, and putting in a bigger set of cams? as opposed to buying PI heads?

bsteen81 07-17-2006 05:21 PM

ORIGINAL: 98 stang GT

The guy from high performance engines told me in his email, "Unfortunately there are a lot of things you would have to do to get this to work. You would have to get a new ECM/Computer or get it reprogrammed, new fuel injectors & new high flow fuel pump. Also depending on what shot of NOS you're planning on using, you'd have to change the bottom end of your engine & the compression ratio. Otherwise the engine itself will fit with some slight modifications."

I am going to email the costhigh guys to find out what i should.

Plus im geting a wet shot NOS soon so i need to know what to do.

OK, so your doing the nitrous thing, cool, thats the easy way. What you should probably do then is just get a remanufactured '99 4.6L They run 10:1 compression, highest on 99 & up 4.6L's You can buy a new or used too, but obviously the new is much more expensive and the used is well used. There isnt a whole lot you have to change for a '99 motor swap, I just did it. You will need a new timing cover, maybe a flywheel and a few little things your mech will know about. It took my guys about 3 days to put everything together, (I had more than just the engine going in)
Everything works great and I spent about 4k all together between the motor, which came with a 3 year 100,000 mile warranty, and labor. That also included the other stuff so it would be less for you. If you have the funds there are better motors set-up for nitrous but if your on a budget this is the way to go.