4.6L (1996-2004 Modular) Mustang Technical discussions on 1996-2004 4.6 Liter Modular Motors (2V and 4V) within.

Spark Plug Popped Out!!!

Search this Thread

Old 07-18-2006, 01:09 PM
Brute03
5th Gear Member

Default RE: Spark Plug Popped Out!!!

*makes note to re-check plugs*..........
Old 07-18-2006, 01:14 PM
Dan04COBRA
Super Moderator

That sucks, kinda typical though.

It'll probably come back out again. It should be tapped again...
Old 07-18-2006, 01:14 PM
droptoppony
5th Gear Member

These 2V's are notorious for blowing out spark plugs! It is a common problem among Mustangs and Lightnings. Just be lucky you didn't strip out the threads and need a heli coil or timesert. The plugs have been known to slowly back themselves out so you should check them on a regular basis.
Old 07-18-2006, 01:16 PM
Blck98GT
I ♥ Acer

*checking spark plugs when i get home*

Use some Threadlocker... or SUPERGLUE...

[sm=happybounce.gif]
Old 07-18-2006, 01:42 PM
LvGordo
4th Gear Member

i actually had the core of the spark plug blow out and the threaded part still in the block. There's nothing like the sound of a 4 banger running with an open spark plug hole [&:]
Old 07-19-2006, 08:32 PM
mustang_marine8762
2nd Gear Member

So I was checking out the plugs today to make sure they were all good. Well the plug that popped out turned out to be stripped. F**K!!! So my question is would it be cheaper to just re-tap the threads, or buy a whole new head? Also...if I did go with the head, how hard would it be to replace? Would I have to drop the motor and all that fun s**t, or could I just do it with the motor still in? Please help.
Old 07-19-2006, 09:54 PM
PWORLDSTANG
4th Gear Member

Interesting story. Definitely a weird one.
Old 07-19-2006, 10:15 PM
GT_Bob
3rd Gear Member

ORIGINAL: mustang_marine8762

So I was checking out the plugs today to make sure they were all good. Well the plug that popped out turned out to be stripped. F**K!!! So my question is would it be cheaper to just re-tap the threads, or buy a whole new head? Also...if I did go with the head, how hard would it be to replace? Would I have to drop the motor and all that fun s**t, or could I just do it with the motor still in? Please help.
That's bad news bro, seriously that blows sour milk chunks.

I wouldn't try and re-tap the head on the block for two reasons. One, re tapping threads that have been stripped out will not do you any good, and two, think of all those metal shavings dropping into your cylander. You might try a helicoil, but there again I'd be afraid of debris falling inside the block and I personally don't trust helicoils on plug sockets. If it was mine, I'd pull the head, (which can be done with the motor in the car), and replace it with either a good used head or a nos one. Look at the bright side. This may be your opportunity to put a set of aftermarket heads on the thing.

Sorry for your bad luck. Sh-t happens though.

[sm=imsorry.gif]
Old 07-19-2006, 11:45 PM
Gooman
1st Gear Member

This is a problem that ford should address,many 5.4 tritons are blowing plugs,the local machine shop says they get 1-2 a week.I heard very limited thread area on the triton heads.A real drag, only real fix is tear off the head or heads and have it fixed.Sorry to hear of the misfortune.Good luck and hope your on the road soon,(damn I just purchased one of these terds)..............Gary99gt
Old 07-20-2006, 07:15 PM
mustang_marine8762
2nd Gear Member

Yea...I was thinking about a helicoil, but like you said...I don't know how well that will hold. Plus the metal shavings in the block. Would it be cheaper to just get a new head and get it installed. I know I can get a head for $400. I don't know the price of what an install would be. What about the price of getting a helicoil???

Quick Reply: Spark Plug Popped Out!!!