4.6L (1996-2004 Modular) Mustang Technical discussions on 1996-2004 4.6 Liter Modular Motors (2V and 4V) within.

NEED ADVICE FAST-MOST RECOMMENDED DIFFERENTIAL GEAR OIL

Search this Thread

Old 06-16-2007, 11:38 AM
99lolagt
2nd Gear Member

Default RE: NEED ADVICE FAST-MOST RECOMMENDED DIFFERENTIAL GEAR OIL

I use Amsoil in mine and it work great.
Old 06-16-2007, 01:42 PM
cliffyk
TECH SAVANT

ORIGINAL: Soaring

ORIGINAL: Deannostang

75w-90 Royal Purple. No friction modifier needed and works to perfection in your differential. Cuts down drag on gears too. Use Royal Purple fluids in your engine, tranny and rearend and watch your mileage increase AND dynoed power curve.

royalpurple.com/techa/whyrpa.html
It's only about 8 or 9 oz. of friction modifier. It certainly won't hurt, and as far as I can tell it helps with the heat. A small investment.
[/align][/align]It's 3.8 oz, and it will hurt if the oil has f/m in it already--it will further reduce the effectiveness of the traction-loc clutch packs...[/align][/align]
Old 06-21-2007, 01:14 AM
ShadowDrake
5th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: racemyski

Royal Purple does sell a 75-140 weight oil in their Gear Max line.
Do we have an authority that can say once and for all whether the friction modifier is necessary when using RP gear oil? Btw, this is for my 02 GT vert w/ a T3650.... manual calls for 75-140.

Any ideas??
I'm using Royal purple in the rear diff. No friction modifier added. I stillget nice healthy two wheel burnouts

The royal purple is supposed to have friction modifier in it already, just read on the bottle to double check.
Old 06-21-2007, 02:36 AM
cliffyk
TECH SAVANT

Theissue offriction modifier or the absence of same is not whether you would still get "healthy two wheel burnouts". Friction modifier reduces the"friction" between the traction-loc clutch plates--without any the plates will stick and bind and you'll get all sortsof popping and clanging from the rear end when you turn sharply (or at all)--you'll also get nearly complete lock-up and guaranteed two-wheel spins...[/align][/align]Putting in less or none is a cheap trick for track cars to make the T-loc really lock up, too much will make the oil too slippery and reduce the clutch pack lock-up, although it's one of those things thatreaches a point where the "damage has been done" and adding more f/m has little additional effect on the traction-loc effect.[/align][/align]So, ideally you want the least amount of friction modifer you can get away with, that amount that keeps the rear-end quiet (I.e. no clutch pack binding) without sacrificing lock-up. I suspect that the actual amount of classicly defined friction modifier additive in synthetic gear oils (all synthetics seem to claim they "have it already") may be little to none at all and that the synthetic oils are naturally more slippery than dino oils--that's why they all "have it already". [/align][/align]What makes me uncomfortable in this sort of situation is when someone else decides how much is the right amount for me...[/align]
Old 07-27-2007, 12:30 AM
Gar4pt6
4th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: cliffyk

Theissue offriction modifier or the absence of same is not whether you would still get "healthy two wheel burnouts". Friction modifier reduces the"friction" between the traction-loc clutch plates--without any the plates will stick and bind and you'll get all sortsof popping and clanging from the rear end when you turn sharply (or at all)--you'll also get nearly complete lock-up and guaranteed two-wheel spins...[/align][/align]Putting in less or none is a cheap trick for track cars to make the T-loc really lock up, too much will make the oil too slippery and reduce the clutch pack lock-up, although it's one of those things thatreaches a point where the "damage has been done" and adding more f/m has little additional effect on the traction-loc effect.[/align][/align]So, ideally you want the least amount of friction modifer you can get away with, that amount that keeps the rear-end quiet (I.e. no clutch pack binding) without sacrificing lock-up. I suspect that the actual amount of classicly defined friction modifier additive in synthetic gear oils (all synthetics seem to claim they "have it already") may be little to none at all and that the synthetic oils are naturally more slippery than dino oils--that's why they all "have it already". [/align][/align]What makes me uncomfortable in this sort of situation is when someone else decides how much is the right amount for me...[/align]
what oil do you use???