4.6L (1996-2004 Modular) Mustang Technical discussions on 1996-2004 4.6 Liter Modular Motors (2V and 4V) within.

Convert 2000 GT to Cobra IRS

Search this Thread

Old 07-19-2006, 04:45 PM
redass02gt
EXTREME Moderation

Default RE: Convert 2000 GT to Cobra IRS

ORIGINAL: Miliock

ORIGINAL: redass02gt

ORIGINAL: Miliock

It amazes me how the people on this forum only think of straight line performance in their mustangs.
are you kidding me???!?!? [sm=icon_rofl.gif]
turning a mustang into a road racer is like turning a s2000 into a drag car. it's like starting with two dogs and hoping to breed cats. the money and effort would be better spent elsewhere.

Thank you for making what I said CLEARLY TRUE!!!! I could make my car outhandle a porsche for a lot less $$$ than it would cost you do beat a viper down the strip! To each their own bro....don't knock what someone else wants to do just because its not what you're doing!
you bought the wrong car for what you want to do. nobody cares what a stang can do in the corners because they wouldn't have bought a stang if they cared about that.
Old 07-19-2006, 05:00 PM
FWP!
2nd Gear Member

you bought the wrong car for what you want to do. nobody cares what a stang can do in the corners because they wouldn't have bought a stang if they cared about that.

Wow, then I guess SHM is one shabby company. I mean what do they think they're doing killing everything on the track? Morons.. same goes to those "Ford Motorsports" retards.
Old 07-19-2006, 05:03 PM
gjscott
1st Gear Member

I care what it'll do in the corners and I plan to make it handle. I'm aware that if I wanted ultimate handling I shouldn't have bought a Stang but I wanted a Stang, therefor I want it to handle as good as possible.

I don't understand why you guys object to this so much, am I breaking some kind of unwritten rule. If you love Mustangs you should all be encouraging it, not shouting it down.
Old 07-19-2006, 05:03 PM
Miliock
3rd Gear Member

ORIGINAL: redass02gt

Oh I forgot...no one road course races mustangs. LOL Maybe someday you'll come out of you little imaginary world of mustangs are only for going straight...idiot.
Old 07-19-2006, 06:39 PM
MustangChris04
5th Gear Member

your right... nobody road races a mustang thats not that they are for and it will cost way more money than its worth. The only mustangs that are even worth trying to road race are the new mustangs which have already been done and are being used in many drift competitions.
Old 07-19-2006, 06:49 PM
Miliock
3rd Gear Member

You can say the same thing that a stang isn't built for the strip. The stock motor can only handle 400rwhp, the chassis flexes like a rubber band with all the trq, its short wheelbase SUCKS for the strip. I can't argue with idiots. The fact of the matter is the aftermarket for the stang supports whatever you want to do with these cars. That's another reason they are such great cars....they can be built to run 9s or built to pull G forces in the corners. You should PM David_K on here and ask him how fast his "non road raceable" mustang goes around a road course.
Old 07-19-2006, 07:46 PM
FWP!
2nd Gear Member

www.2kgt.com

[sm=chairshot.gif]
Old 07-20-2006, 10:16 AM
GodAmGT00
5th Gear Member

Hey,

What kind of race do they use the S281's for??

What about the Cobra R's??

Oh, and why did Ford magically put the IRS in the Cobra, so you could snap CV's all day w/ over 400hp??

C'mon guys.. You can make any car do what you want it to.. Sure, back in the day Mustangs were used at the strip a lot, but why do you think Shelby made things like the GT350, or the GT500?? Not to bring to the drag strip of course...

Sure, if you live in places like Florida where the roads are flat and straight, making it fast in a straight line is cool... Everywhere else, where the roads turn and bend, it's nice to have the ability to manipulate the road...

JT
Old 07-20-2006, 02:19 PM
Fryguy22
4th Gear Member

I agree. Swapping in an IRS is a great idea. I would love to make my stang feel like my bro's M3 does around corners (if thats possible.) So maybe his 1/4 mile times will go down but I'm pretty sure he would rape us around turns. And i'm sorry to dissapoint you, but most roads have turns.
Old 07-20-2006, 02:52 PM
GodAmGT00
5th Gear Member

I'd say that price dictates performance in this arena.. Plus, a Cobra was supposed to be the affordable street fighter..

I still believe that Ford was trying to re-establish themselves in the Road Race arena, by introducing IRS, since I think it's prohibited from altering Drivetrain layout in most Pro-Classes...

Besides though, even just by throwing some good springs and dampeners on there, I bet the Cobra catches up to the M3/Vette, and would STILL cost less overall...

JT

Quick Reply: Convert 2000 GT to Cobra IRS