4.6L (1996-2004 Modular) Mustang Technical discussions on 1996-2004 4.6 Liter Modular Motors (2V and 4V) within.

Engine ticking noise *vid*

Search this Thread

Old 07-20-2006, 01:11 PM
Derf00
Gentleman's Relish

Default RE: Engine ticking noise *vid*

Before you go tearing into the engine you need to isolate the sound (obviously)

Remove the serpintine belt when it's cold and start it up - let it get kinda warm and shut it down. This will eliminate all the accessories

I noticed you weren't pushing your clutch in at all. Does the sound go away when the clutch is stepped on?

If neither one of those make it go away, start it up and get a mechanics stethiscpoe to see if you can pinpoint it in the head, block, or a particular cylinder.

Pretty basic I know but a lot of times it's the simple things that get missed. If it's been doing it a year now I would guess it's not as severe as it sounds.
Old 07-20-2006, 02:13 PM
FWP!
2nd Gear Member

Well that might be hard considering the car has to be warm to do it, and I have to be driving at more than 2k rpm. I'd worry about the car over heating while the accessory belt wasn't on the car since the engine would already be warm when I'd have to do this test. Plus I'd be worried about the battery dieing, how long should it last without getting a charge from the alternator?
Old 07-20-2006, 02:24 PM
Derf00
Gentleman's Relish

Warm the car up with the belt on it then if it's only when warm you hear the sound. Once it's warmed up, shut it down, remove the belt and restart it. You have a battery guage on your dash. Just keep an eye on it and keep all other un-needed accessories off. You can drive for a pretty long while on just the battery. Your battery will be fine so long as the battery isn't already on it's way out.

As for over heating, when you restart the car with the belt off, switch your heater to hot but don't turn it on. It allows the coolant that is in the heating system to circulate as well and will give you a few minutes of run time without overheating since it's a lower temp than what's been circulating. You could also turn the blower motor on (and blow hot air) to help keep the car cooled. It will of course shorten your drive time on just the battery.

Shouldn't take more than a minute or two to figure out if the sound is still there or not.
Old 07-20-2006, 02:35 PM
FWP!
2nd Gear Member

ORIGINAL: Derf00

Warm the car up with the belt on it then if it's only when warm you hear the sound. Once it's warmed up, shut it down, remove the belt and restart it. You have a battery guage on your dash. Just keep an eye on it and keep all other un-needed accessories off. You can drive for a pretty long while on just the battery. Your battery will be fine so long as the battery isn't already on it's way out.

As for over heating, when you restart the car with the belt off, switch your heater to hot but don't turn it on. It allows the coolant that is in the heating system to circulate as well and will give you a few minutes of run time without overheating since it's a lower temp than what's been circulating. You could also turn the blower motor on (and blow hot air) to help keep the car cooled. It will of course shorten your drive time on just the battery.

Shouldn't take more than a minute or two to figure out if the sound is still there or not.

Thanks for the input. Yea I'll probably park the car at the end of my street, take the belt off real quick, jump in the car and drive down to my driveway with the belt off, I probably only need a hundred feet to see if it's still making the noise, I just need to get into 1st gear and get up to 2k rpm to hear it. I'll try it when I get home from work tonight.
Old 07-20-2006, 07:30 PM
0hOneGT
3rd Gear Member

You probably need to put that duct tape back on
Old 07-20-2006, 07:42 PM
FWP!
2nd Gear Member

haha, I guess so! Apparently the car ENJOYED being starved of oil. You know, kind of like those people that like to be choked to near strangulation right before they blow their load?

Not that I enjoy that sort of thing
Old 07-20-2006, 07:45 PM
0hOneGT
3rd Gear Member

Of course not
Old 07-20-2006, 08:10 PM
Shawn02GT
4th Gear Member

dunno what the noise is, but atleast you have 03 cobra rims