4.6L (1996-2004 Modular) Mustang Technical discussions on 1996-2004 4.6 Liter Modular Motors (2V and 4V) within.

Tranny Oil Change

Search this Thread

Old 05-22-2004, 12:44 AM
NicksMeanGT
2nd Gear Member

Default Tranny Oil Change

Hey guys,
I just bought some Amsoil ATF Synthetic tranny fluid and i am going to change it myself. My uncles have an underground work pit at work so i took a look at the tranny and i see a plug labeled "DRAIN" on the right lower side of it and on the upper left side there is a bolt that looks to be a hex bolt which i believe is where i put the new stuff in. I need some input from guys that have changed theirs before. what exactly do i need to do as far as flushing it goes and any shortcuts/tips. Its a 1999 GT 5-Speed. Any advice is really appreciated. Thanks
Old 05-22-2004, 12:49 AM
GT99GT
2nd Gear Member

Default RE: Tranny Oil Change

well, first u unscrew the little thing that drains it, then once its completly draind, open the refill hole, which is the one on top, your right about that, and refill it, thats about it, refil it until its completly full, i mean it starts to poor out of the hole, then wait until it stops, and close the hole, thats it. i dont see how you will get the oil in the hole, i had a pump and a hook shaped tube that i pumped the oil into the tranny from...
Old 05-22-2004, 02:56 AM
jdaniel
I ♥ Acer

How do the tranny filters work on these. I had a Nova SS and the filter was in the pan itself. If its in the pan you might want to drop the pan and change the filter with it, that is if im correct.
Old 05-22-2004, 04:04 AM
GT99GT
2nd Gear Member

i didnt know that the tranny had a filter, so i dont know
Old 05-22-2004, 05:14 AM
mission250

Manual trannys don't have a filter, automatics do. Since you have a drain plug and a fill plug I assume you have a manual tranny so you don't have a filter to change.
Old 05-22-2004, 10:32 AM
jdaniel
I ♥ Acer

Thats right, it was an automatic. Sorry dude... not using he brain on that one!
Old 05-22-2004, 02:12 PM
NicksMeanGT
2nd Gear Member

Alright, so basically since its a manual i know there's no pan so that means no filter to change? And how about flushing it? Do i need to pump some clean oil through it to get ALL of the old stuff out?
Thanks in advance.
Old 05-22-2004, 09:50 PM
GT99GT
2nd Gear Member

not really, just empty it, and put in new oil, thats all
Old 05-23-2004, 01:57 PM
Casper98GT
I ♥ Acer

I saved a bunch of time looking for something to put inside the fill hole because its a pain in the ***, so when i put my short throw shifter on i changed my fluids. I removed both drain and fill bolts and let it drain. then i put the drain back in and removed my shifter. then poured the fluid through the shifter hole and when it came out the fill hole i put the bolt back in. Of course you will need someone filling and someone to put the bolt back in.
Old 05-23-2004, 02:35 PM
NicksMeanGT
2nd Gear Member

Very good idea Casper. While you're on the subject of short throw shifter, i installed mine a few weeks ago and it leaks a little bit. Its kinda just a residue around the trans near the shifter. what should the bolts be torqued to to get a proper seal and what silicone/gasket maker do you guys use to seal tight. mines not sealing right. Thanks

Quick Reply: Tranny Oil Change