4.6L (1996-2004 Modular) Mustang Technical discussions on 1996-2004 4.6 Liter Modular Motors (2V and 4V) within.

a/c not working...help please

Search this Thread

Old 07-24-2006, 08:02 PM
snowborderz
1st Gear Member

Default a/c not working...help please

My a/c unit was blowing out warm air, so i tried to recharge it....i got the pressure built up to the right setting, but now it idles funny when i turn the a/c on, or the defroster as well....it runs normal idle, jump up, and then fall back down, over and over, and still blows out warm air. I got into a front end accident, and they replaced the radiator, and intake manifold, dont know if that has anything to do with it. It was working fine before the accident. I checked all the piping, and none look to be bent. Any help would be greatly appreciated...thanks
Old 07-24-2006, 08:27 PM
46blueStang
1st Gear Member

Default RE: a/c not working...help please

check the compressor same thing happened to me, but mine was under warrenty, so i got a new one.
Old 07-24-2006, 08:33 PM
brgrenier
1st Gear Member

mine was doing the same thing. so I went out to pep boys and bought a "do it yourself kit" I filled the system where it was reading almost to the red and it still didnt work. So I brought to Ford dealership they injected the system with dye and couldnt find any leaks. They filled the system with some fresh freon, and it works great now.
Old 07-25-2006, 02:26 AM
snowborderz
1st Gear Member

anyone know of a way to check if its the compresser? and is this a replacement i can do myself?
Old 07-25-2006, 04:32 AM
footpedal
1st Gear Member

also check the front area real good, where you said it got hit,, since you said they replaced the radiator,. check to see if the condenser
got damaged,
what im still trying to figure out is that if the system was blowing warm air before ( not talking before the accident, cause you already said it blowed cold, just all this since accident ) and then you went to charge it, did it start to blow cold air while you were charging it?? was the compressor engaging the clutch?? if it was, then i suspect your compressor is ok, and you have a leak somewhere, thats why it its blowing warm air again,,, have you checked to see if the compressor clutch is engaing now since you last charged system?? it sounds like it is, because the way you describe the idle fluctuating it sounds like the compressor clutch is engaging/disengaging, but recheck visualy, and also have you rehooked up gauges and checked refrigerate charge pressures ??
Old 07-26-2006, 05:01 AM
snowborderz
1st Gear Member

where is the condenser located? I didnt check it til about a month and a half after the accident since it was winter when it happend, but first time i tried it, it was warm. Not sure if it was blowing cold air while i was charging it. I could see something engaging, not sure what it is, but it has a belt running on it...it kicks over when it idles up, and then drops down in about a second or two. The pressure looks fine, it flucuates when it idles up and down, but it stays withen the correct area. I wonder if it could possibly be clogged somehow? Also, dont know if it matters, but after my car sits for a while, the coolant looks low, so i open the resivor cap, and a lot of pressure releases, and coolant fills back up in there.....sorry if this sounds confusing, i would just really like to get this taken care of, but dont have much money to take it to the shop
Old 07-30-2006, 01:08 PM
footpedal
1st Gear Member

condensor is located or should be in front of the radiator,, it looks like a smaller version of a radiator, if you follow the line hook ups from your A/C compressor you should be able to locate it, check the condensor for any damage, i know you said your strapped for cash, but the best thing for checking for a freon leak, is a electronic freon leak sniifer, its a hand held device that you move around on the parts of the a/c system and if theres a freon leak, it detects it,, most dealerships have it,, and yes, it could also be a clogged system, but you have to first find out that its not a leak first, then you would have to evac the system and check and replace the orvice
good luck on getting it fixed, sorry took so long for me to get back to this post to reply, but been busy,
Old 08-02-2006, 03:11 AM
snowborderz
1st Gear Member

i was feeling around, and trying to listen for a leak somewhere, and i felt some air blowing out from one of the two hoses that go into the firewall from the a/c unit....im guessing this isnt normal
Old 08-02-2006, 04:02 AM
GT_Bob
3rd Gear Member

ORIGINAL: snowborderz

where is the condenser located? I didnt check it til about a month and a half after the accident since it was winter when it happend, but first time i tried it, it was warm. Not sure if it was blowing cold air while i was charging it. I could see something engaging, not sure what it is, but it has a belt running on it...it kicks over when it idles up, and then drops down in about a second or two. The pressure looks fine, it flucuates when it idles up and down, but it stays withen the correct area. I wonder if it could possibly be clogged somehow? Also, dont know if it matters, but after my car sits for a while, the coolant looks low, so i open the resivor cap, and a lot of pressure releases, and coolant fills back up in there.....sorry if this sounds confusing, i would just really like to get this taken care of, but dont have much money to take it to the shop
I'm not trying to be an ****, it just comes natural. If you have to ask where the A/C condenser is located, see something engaging and not knowing what it is and do not understand the principals of a modern day vehicle cooling system, it's probably a good idea you take your car to someone who does. At the very least, buy a book. Sorry I sound like a jerk man, but come on now. We all have our limitations.

Can't wait to see the crap I get from this post.

[sm=alcoholic.gif]

Old 08-04-2006, 01:19 AM
snowborderz
1st Gear Member

wow man, nice guy there, thanks for the info gtbob, you are right i do not know much about cooling systems, that is why i am on here, trying to learn about them. I enjoy doing work to my car, and have done lots of other stuff to it myself, this is just one thing i have not dealt with in the past, i do have a book, but find it easier to learn from other people then a book, thanks again

Quick Reply: a/c not working...help please