4.6L (1996-2004 Modular) Mustang Technical discussions on 1996-2004 4.6 Liter Modular Motors (2V and 4V) within.

Chattering from new clutch/flywheel?

Search this Thread

Old 07-30-2006, 02:33 AM
joeybutts
4th Gear Member

Default Chattering from new clutch/flywheel?

Hey gang....i had my new clutch and flywheel installed this morning and got it back this afternoon. the guy at the shop told me that he left lots of play in the pedal so that the clutch would break in and that i was to bring it back in on Monday or Tuesday so that he can recalibrate the clutch pedal. Well, i took it out cruising tonight and noticed it was difficult to get the car going and that he left LOTS of play in the pedal, like only the TOP two inches caught the clutch. THEN, when it starts to grab there was this shuddering/chattering feeling-noise. It was real bad getting the car going but after that you could only barely notice it but i could tell it was there. Will this go away with time or should i tell the guy that something is messed up? Or will this go away when he calibrates the pedal on Monday? Any insight is greatly appreciated. I can't wait for him to recalibrate the pedal!!!!![:@]
Old 07-30-2006, 02:35 AM
FrostByte
5th Gear Member

Default RE: Chattering from new clutch/flywheel?

It should feel right immediatly. He f00ked up.
Old 07-30-2006, 02:37 AM
GT_Bob
3rd Gear Member

ORIGINAL: joeybutts

Hey gang....i had my new clutch and flywheel installed this morning and got it back this afternoon. the guy at the shop told me that he left lots of play in the pedal so that the clutch would break in and that i was to bring it back in on Monday or Tuesday so that he can recalibrate the clutch pedal. Well, i took it out cruising tonight and noticed it was difficult to get the car going and that he left LOTS of play in the pedal, like only the TOP two inches caught the clutch. THEN, when it starts to grab there was this shuddering/chattering feeling-noise. It was real bad getting the car going but after that you could only barely notice it but i could tell it was there. Will this go away with time or should i tell the guy that something is messed up? Or will this go away when he calibrates the pedal on Monday? Any insight is greatly appreciated. I can't wait for him to recalibrate the pedal!!!!![:@]
When you take it back Monday have him drive it with you in the car. After he feels what you feel, look over at him with a grin and say, "fix it".
Old 07-30-2006, 04:39 AM
MustangChris04
5th Gear Member

recalibrate the clutch pedal? is he smoking, wtf?
Old 07-30-2006, 10:18 AM
joeybutts
4th Gear Member

awesome.. that makes me so excited...[&:][:@]
Old 07-30-2006, 10:22 AM
gsxrstang69
3rd Gear Member

yupp he focked up[:'(]
Old 07-30-2006, 12:16 PM
blackbetty01
4th Gear Member

What kind of clutch is it?
Mine grabbed immediately, and it chatterede at first, but it went away, still chatters sometimes in reverse though
I must be missing something because I have no idea how he can just "recalibrate the pedal"[&:]
Old 07-30-2006, 12:18 PM
2000GT4.6
6th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: MustangChris04

recalibrate the clutch pedal? is he smoking, wtf?
Most of the time when you install a new clutch they also install an adjuster so you can adjust the pedal.

BTW, it SHOULD only use the top part of the clutch and disengage quickly. Thats pretty much a good aftermarket clutch for ya. But it should not be chattering, that will lead to clutch damage.
Old 07-30-2006, 02:12 PM
monkeydude3
6th Gear Member

he didn't do something right. maybe he left that coat of lube on the flywheel/clutch that sometimes is on them when they ship to prevent rust.

My king cobra when I put it in with my stock (resurfaced) flywheel, the first release I heard a dull scraping sound, and then from then on out it was smooth as silk and from then until about 1000 miles it just got tighter and now it's great.

My clutch CABLE on the other hand is a little b!tch
Old 07-30-2006, 02:12 PM
mustang_montana
4th Gear Member

really depends on the clutch, my spec 3 does the chattering and i was there when it was put in. its the clutch quadrant for me, just too lazy to replace it. might be your problem too. you can adjust the pedal yourself, pull up on it with your foot then push it down to the floor.

Quick Reply: Chattering from new clutch/flywheel?