4.6L (1996-2004 Modular) Mustang Technical discussions on 1996-2004 4.6 Liter Modular Motors (2V and 4V) within.

SOHC to DOHC?

Search this Thread

Old 07-30-2006, 03:11 AM
joshafmil
4th Gear Member

Default SOHC to DOHC?

ive been curious as to what would be involved with switching my heads over to DOHC... i know the blocks and pistons are all the same between my car and a mach 1. i figured the DOHC would be better, because we all know it breaths better. anyone know how annoyingly hard that would be?
Old 07-30-2006, 03:30 AM
ShadowDrake
5th Gear Member

Default RE: SOHC to DOHC?

The block is slightly different. I think you won't be able to get a bolt in for the 4v heads. Other than the heads, cams, valves, springs, timing hardware (gears, chains, cover), and other various head equipment, it should be an easy enough swap. You'll need a new intake manifold probably, I'm not sure if the fuel rails are the same between the cobras and GT's. There's a start... if you can find a donor car with a blown out bottom end, you'll be able to take everything you need for the swap.
Old 07-30-2006, 03:47 AM
joshafmil
4th Gear Member

so the blocks arent the same? i heard they all used the same block with the exception of the 03-04 cobra.

im pritty sure id also need a new computer for the car, but i wonder if its possible to pull one out of a mach.
Old 07-30-2006, 03:50 AM
ShadowDrake
5th Gear Member

The blocks are 99% the same, Ford's Modular motor idea... however truly modular is just a theory, it doesn't work that well in practice. Like I said, the block is VERY close to the same, however you will not be able to get one bolt per head in. The 03/04 Cobra uses the same block as the rest of the 4v machines. It just has forged internals.

Yes you can pull an ECU out of a Mach, your speedometer will be off, they have 3.55 gears.

I think you can modify your 2v block to be able to fit the last head bolt in, however.

This is all here-say, at least with the different head bolt. I haven't seen first-hand, although there are some 4.6 Cobras around here, it's only a matter of time before I pin one down and get a chance to talk to the owner [8D]
Old 07-30-2006, 03:51 AM
xxkazp3rxx
6th Gear Member

might be easier just to put a 32v in, without switching it over. Just an idea
Old 07-30-2006, 03:56 AM
ShadowDrake
5th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: xxkazp3rxx

Probably will be. My personal plan for the future, after I max out my factory shortblock... I'm going to be rebuilding it with forged internals, am probably going to start with a totally fresh engine, down to a new block... and I'll be building it 4v, buying bare 4v heads and building it all myself, start to finish. Of course, this is if my 2v holds out at max power As long as the 2v is running I've got time to build myself a forged 4v.
Old 07-30-2006, 03:58 AM
joshafmil
4th Gear Member

to be honest your prolly right... i was just curious about it all. it seems that when i think about trying to upgrade the engine i have, it always boils down to either saving up for a cobra, or just getting a fox and getting a crate engine for it.

considering if i got a dohc engine dropped into my car now, id prolly want the 03 cobra engine anyway... meaning id have to mess with the rest of the car to take that.

lol the gt just seems to be limited when you get to a certain power range
Old 07-30-2006, 03:59 AM
GT_Bob
3rd Gear Member

+1

ORIGINAL: xxkazp3rxx

Old 07-30-2006, 04:01 AM
joshafmil
4th Gear Member

the stupid thing is i really like the car i have now, kinda sentimental. so i dont wanna sell it, but at the same time id like a better platform
Old 07-30-2006, 04:02 AM
ShadowDrake
5th Gear Member

The GT tops out at about 400-420 RWHP, however, you can pick up a built shortblock for your 2v, sneak some headwork in there, and still make very good power... the 4v is just so much more capable. If I'm going in for a dime, I'm going in for a dollar, going all the way. If my 2v holds up, all will be well... if I blow it, though, I'll likely end up just getting a forged shortblock for the 2v and working on the 2v heads some. It'll cost the same, but I won't have the satisfaction of having built it myself, and I'll come up a bit short on power... tis the cost of blowing an engine

Edit: I couldn't stand to part with my GT either... she's my baby. Which is why I have plans to just upgrade it, it'll cost a little more but this car is everything I've ever wanted... short of being 4v

Quick Reply: SOHC to DOHC?