4.6L (1996-2004 Modular) Mustang Technical discussions on 1996-2004 4.6 Liter Modular Motors (2V and 4V) within.

Mustang GT Overheating (long)

Search this Thread

Old 08-01-2006, 02:39 AM
gjscott
1st Gear Member

Default RE: Mustang GT Overheating (long)

OK, I checked the circuit diagrams and there is a control box for the fan called the 'Constant Control Relay Module' which gets a temperature reading from the powertrain control module.
It's a two speed fan controlled by the part of the Constant Control Relay Module called the EDF relay (Electric Drive Fan). This works out which speed to use with the temperature reading.

From your description it sounds like the relay for the low speed fan control is working but the relay for the high speed fan control of the fan is broken and not keeping the fan on.

I am fairly confident that your problem is with the Constant Control Relay Module.

If your car is a 96 or later model this is a black box in the right fenderwell under the plastic inner fender shield.
On a 95-95 car it is to the right of he fan shroud.

The manual says that your Ford dealer can check the controll module with a special tool.

Good luck.
Old 08-01-2006, 04:53 AM
GSXRIntensity
4th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: gjscott

OK, I checked the circuit diagrams and there is a control box for the fan called the 'Constant Control Relay Module' which gets a temperature reading from the powertrain control module.
It's a two speed fan controlled by the part of the Constant Control Relay Module called the EDF relay (Electric Drive Fan). This works out which speed to use with the temperature reading.

From your description it sounds like the relay for the low speed fan control is working but the relay for the high speed fan control of the fan is broken and not keeping the fan on.

I am fairly confident that your problem is with the Constant Control Relay Module.

If your car is a 96 or later model this is a black box in the right fenderwell under the plastic inner fender shield.
On a 95-95 car it is to the right of he fan shroud.

The manual says that your Ford dealer can check the controll module with a special tool.

Good luck.
gjscott, I really appreciate you taking the time to look that stuff up for me. I am going to take a look at it tomorrow okay. Thanks again. I have an '02.
Old 08-01-2006, 02:38 PM
GSXRIntensity
4th Gear Member

I took it to Sutton this morning, and they are going to get back to me in the next couple of days. It might be my constant control relay module like mentioned above. It sure sounds like it may be the culprit. Whatever the problem is, it'll be fixed. I have the extended service plan, so they said that part would be covered under it if it proves to be the cause. My concern is what caused it to go bad in the first place.
Old 08-01-2006, 03:16 PM
gjscott
1st Gear Member

It's an electronic assembly, they can just go wrong from time to time.
Old 08-03-2006, 03:49 AM
GSXRIntensity
4th Gear Member

Alright everybody, I got a call from Sutton today. The problem 'is' a falty C.C.R.M.! They are replacing it under warranty, so I should be good to go Friday! Thanks for all the help! P.S., do you all think I should go ahead and get that electric water pump?
Old 08-03-2006, 03:59 AM
gjscott
1st Gear Member

Get the CCRM replaced first and then wait to see if you need the water pump. I suspect that you won't need it.

Do I get a gold star for my diagnosis ?
Old 08-03-2006, 03:10 PM
GSXRIntensity
4th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: gjscott

Get the CCRM replaced first and then wait to see if you need the water pump. I suspect that you won't need it.

Do I get a gold star for my diagnosis ?
Well, I am just wondering abuot the water pump, because I am still considering a shortblock and a t-trim. I don't suppose my car will run any cooler after that. I'd give you a gold star for helping me!