4.6L (1996-2004 Modular) Mustang Technical discussions on 1996-2004 4.6 Liter Modular Motors (2V and 4V) within.

what kinda nitrous?

Search this Thread

Old 07-31-2006, 04:19 AM
ShadowDrake
5th Gear Member

Default RE: what kinda nitrous?

I chose the Zex kit because it came with a WOT switch, I didn't have to spend the extra. Both solenoids are in the same box, less for me to mount, less for me to worry about. When I got my Zex kit, the fuel pressure monitoring was not out yet. What it is in reality, is simply a fuel pressure safety switch... when your fuel pressure falls too low, it will stop spraying. The down-side to it, is that it isn't smart, if your fuel pressure falls too low, it'll stop spraying, when it stops spraying, it'll see that the fuel pressure is "adequate" again, and start spraying, then see that it's too low, etc... there's a buffer zone for it, but I have heard of (and seen) this fluttering case happen.

I have not had a single problem with my Zex kit. I'm good to it, but do not use it often, once a month maybe for 6-7 seconds of spray. I have never heard any problems with Zex kits being low quality. I think many people are just caught up on the old original brands, being NOS primarily. Zealots, if you will.

No, you do not need a handheld tuner to back down the timing. It is the best way to go about it, though. Steeda sells a mechanical timing adjuster which you can use, it sells for about $180. The down-side to it, is that it is a static change in your timing... which is perfect for nitrous actually. Handheld tuners change your timing as your RPM changes, more RPM = more timing advance over stock... which produces more power, but is not good for the spray.

If you're using a 93 octane tune or any aftermarket tune I REALLY suggest you revert it to stock... the tunes that come on the handheld tuners ramp up the timing much more in the higher RPM than the factory tune... when you're spraying, be on the safe side and sacrifice a little power to have a large buffer from detonation and knock.

Sorry to go against you, Frostbitten, but I really do not believe some of the things you are saying to be true.
Old 07-31-2006, 05:00 AM
Frostbitten
4th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: ShadowDrake

I chose the Zex kit because it came with a WOT switch, I didn't have to spend the extra. Both solenoids are in the same box, less for me to mount, less for me to worry about. When I got my Zex kit, the fuel pressure monitoring was not out yet. What it is in reality, is simply a fuel pressure safety switch... when your fuel pressure falls too low, it will stop spraying. The down-side to it, is that it isn't smart, if your fuel pressure falls too low, it'll stop spraying, when it stops spraying, it'll see that the fuel pressure is "adequate" again, and start spraying, then see that it's too low, etc... there's a buffer zone for it, but I have heard of (and seen) this fluttering case happen.

I have not had a single problem with my Zex kit. I'm good to it, but do not use it often, once a month maybe for 6-7 seconds of spray. I have never heard any problems with Zex kits being low quality. I think many people are just caught up on the old original brands, being NOS primarily. Zealots, if you will.

No, you do not need a handheld tuner to back down the timing. It is the best way to go about it, though. Steeda sells a mechanical timing adjuster which you can use, it sells for about $180. The down-side to it, is that it is a static change in your timing... which is perfect for nitrous actually. Handheld tuners change your timing as your RPM changes, more RPM = more timing advance over stock... which produces more power, but is not good for the spray.

If you're using a 93 octane tune or any aftermarket tune I REALLY suggest you revert it to stock... the tunes that come on the handheld tuners ramp up the timing much more in the higher RPM than the factory tune... when you're spraying, be on the safe side and sacrifice a little power to have a large buffer from detonation and knock.

Sorry to go against you, Frostbitten, but I really do not believe some of the things you are saying to be true.

Yea, i mean no offense to you about your kit. I will admit that Zex is a good kit if you plan on running a simple setup that you wont have to worry about putting too much strain on your engine. Its just more like, you install it once and forget it type of deal. You really dont want to go addding two stages, progressive controllers, and all that high end type stuff to a Zex kit. Trust me I tried. I used to have a Zex kit until I got really into nitrous. Then I found NX.

Only thing is that zex does not in any way monitor fuel pressure or nitrous bottle pressure. If you open up the Zex "control box", all you will find are 2 tiny little solenoids and an electronic WOT switch (TPS switch). There is no computer in there monitoring anything. The system WILL NOT cut off from low fuel pressure or lean a/f ratio. Their nozzle is whats supposed to do all the work. The nozzle tip is designes so the nitrous "pulls" the fuel out of the nozzle as its spraying. Its called "Fuel Shear" technology. Supposedly this ensures better atomization and "never too rich never too lean" type of deal. It just does not work that way.

When jetting an n20 kit, you must know what the fuel pressure is at WOT, then you can find a fuel jet to work with. Because the fuel is whats making the power here, you find one that makes say 100hp at whatever your fuel pressure is. The fuel jet will push fuel according to what the pressure is. If the pressure goes up you get richer, if it goes down you go leaner. Theres no way a special tip on the nozzle will affect how much fuel is going into the engine..... After you get the fuel jet done, you find a nitrous jet that leans out the a/f ratio to whatever you want it to be. The oxygen is what is bieng used to burn the fuel. Those kits should really be tuned just like any other nitrous kits out there.
Old 07-31-2006, 05:11 AM
ShadowDrake
5th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: Frostbitten
Yea, i mean no offense to you about your kit. I will admit that Zex is a good kit if you plan on running a simple setup that you wont have to worry about putting too much strain on your engine. Its just more like, you install it once and forget it type of deal. You really dont want to go addding two stages, progressive controllers, and all that high end type stuff to a Zex kit. Trust me I tried. I used to have a Zex kit until I got really into nitrous. Then I found NX.

Only thing is that zex does not in any way monitor fuel pressure or nitrous bottle pressure. If you open up the Zex "control box", all you will find are 2 tiny little solenoids and an electronic WOT switch (TPS switch). There is no computer in there monitoring anything. The system WILL NOT cut off from low fuel pressure or lean a/f ratio. Their nozzle is whats supposed to do all the work. The nozzle tip is designes so the nitrous "pulls" the fuel out of the nozzle as its spraying. Its called "Fuel Shear" technology. Supposedly this ensures better atomization and "never too rich never too lean" type of deal. It just does not work that way.

When jetting an n20 kit, you must know what the fuel pressure is at WOT, then you can find a fuel jet to work with. Because the fuel is whats making the power here, you find one that makes say 100hp at whatever your fuel pressure is. The fuel jet will push fuel according to what the pressure is. If the pressure goes up you get richer, if it goes down you go leaner. Theres no way a special tip on the nozzle will affect how much fuel is going into the engine..... After you get the fuel jet done, you find a nitrous jet that leans out the a/f ratio to whatever you want it to be. The oxygen is what is bieng used to burn the fuel. Those kits should really be tuned just like any other nitrous kits out there.
The newest kits do monitor fuel pressure, but not bottle pressure. I can imagine that the Zex kit you can't get advanced with, it's a great starter kit though, and for most, I think it's what they need, most aren't going to go crazy with the juice. Like you said also, it doesn't watch A/F ratio.

If I had the money and the ability to tune my kit to it's potential, I would, but really, the juice for me is just carrying me over till I get a blower. There's no dyno shops around here, and I don't have the money to drop on a Wideband O2 and some tuning software for a PC right now, let alone a blower. The nearest shop is Paul's High Performance I think, and they are over two hours away... if someone opened a performance shop here in west MI, I think they would make a killing. I don't dare going higher than a 100 shot, and I'm always careful to be a bit on the rich side... I usually just do the 75 shot for when I do spray. I've had the kit for like 8-9 months now and I still have my first bottle fill, with ~3 lbs left... nitrous pressure is too low at this point to get much good use out of it, so when jetted for the 100 shot it just ends up rich, still not too rich to where it bogs the engine out. I don't know what I want to do with the last bit that is in there before I refill it.
Old 07-31-2006, 02:31 PM
bsteen81
3rd Gear Member

ORIGINAL: ShadowDrake

ORIGINAL: Frostbitten

The newest kits do monitor fuel pressure, but not bottle pressure. I can imagine that the Zex kit you can't get advanced with, it's a great starter kit though, and for most, I think it's what they need, most aren't going to go crazy with the juice. Like you said also, it doesn't watch A/F ratio.

If I had the money and the ability to tune my kit to it's potential, I would, but really, the juice for me is just carrying me over till I get a blower. There's no dyno shops around here, and I don't have the money to drop on a Wideband O2 and some tuning software for a PC right now, let alone a blower. The nearest shop is Paul's High Performance I think, and they are over two hours away... if someone opened a performance shop here in west MI, I think they would make a killing. I don't dare going higher than a 100 shot, and I'm always careful to be a bit on the rich side... I usually just do the 75 shot for when I do spray. I've had the kit for like 8-9 months now and I still have my first bottle fill, with ~3 lbs left... nitrous pressure is too low at this point to get much good use out of it, so when jetted for the 100 shot it just ends up rich, still not too rich to where it bogs the engine out. I don't know what I want to do with the last bit that is in there before I refill it.
I also have the ZEx kit and love the saftey aspect of it as well. You guys though must have the wet kit since your cars dont hav ethe fuel return system needed for the dry kit, whic I have. I believe that the dry kit is actually the safest and it does monitior fuel pressure. Mine has been professionally tuned with a 125 shot and works amazingly. Frostbitten is right though, it is a type kit that you can install and forget about. But, I think that is the beauty of it actually. Who wants to worry about their nitrous kit every time they spray? I can hit it as much as I want whenever I want and not think twice about it.