4.6L (1996-2004 Modular) Mustang Technical discussions on 1996-2004 4.6 Liter Modular Motors (2V and 4V) within.

mileage

Search this Thread

Old 07-31-2006, 01:39 AM
SmallFeesh
3rd Gear Member

Default mileage

I have a question regarding speedometer mileage, if i buy a new(used) dash cluster will the mileage be the same (as in stored in computer) or will the mileage be what the new cluster has as far as miles??
Also does anyone know of a good place (junkyard, website, etc.) to get a dash cluster or computer (which ever i will need)
the car is a 2000 Mustang GT 5speed

Thanx.

[IMG]local://upfiles/44812/DA3872D5AC2040FDB88E156D67E362D5.jpg[/IMG]
Old 07-31-2006, 01:44 AM
wes ley n the G T
3rd Gear Member

Default RE: mileage

Yea the milage will still be the same as it is saved on the cars ECU.
Old 07-31-2006, 01:50 AM
ShadowDrake
5th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: wes ley n the G T

Yea the milage will still be the same as it is saved on the cars ECU.
I disagree. When I put my new cluster in (from a 99 cobra) I lost 12k miles ... you would be really surprised how much information is stored in the instrument cluster.

I bought my cluster from eBay... there's a good place to start. A junkyard will also work.
Old 07-31-2006, 01:51 AM
wes ley n the G T
3rd Gear Member

Oh seriously? A buddy of mine put a new cluster in his 99GT and retained the same mileage I thought they all worked like that.
Old 07-31-2006, 01:52 AM
wes ley n the G T
3rd Gear Member

But looks like also you put in a Cobra cluster which isnt the same as a GT cluster. I tried to get one and a tech at a local Ford dealership Don Bohn Ford told me I'd have to have my computer reflashed to accept it because it wasnt exactly the same as it was from a 99-01 cobra.
Old 07-31-2006, 02:31 AM
Cornbread01
4th Gear Member

yea you might have to reflash the comp becuz the anti theft device
Old 07-31-2006, 04:35 AM
SikGT
3rd Gear Member

ORIGINAL: SmallFeesh

I have a question regarding speedometer mileage, if i buy a new(used) dash cluster will the mileage be the same (as in stored in computer) or will the mileage be what the new cluster has as far as miles??
Also does anyone know of a good place (junkyard, website, etc.) to get a dash cluster or computer (which ever i will need)

Thanx.

Is that your car in the pic. What's with the cobra emblems if you say your car is a GT?
Old 07-31-2006, 04:37 AM
Fryguy22
4th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: SikGT

Thanx.

Is that your car in the pic. What's with the cobra emblems if you say your car is a GT?
he likes the emblems maybe?
Old 07-31-2006, 04:40 AM
SikGT
3rd Gear Member

ORIGINAL: Fryguy22

ORIGINAL: SikGT

Thanx.

he likes the emblems maybe?
Other than that the noob has a sick ride.
Old 07-31-2006, 04:56 AM
ShadowDrake
5th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: wes ley n the G T

Oh seriously? A buddy of mine put a new cluster in his 99GT and retained the same mileage I thought they all worked like that.
I had to go through a lot of hoops to get everything working right, I had two major issues:

[hr]Car would not start after swap[hr]
The PATS information is stored in the instrument cluster... when you swap the cluster, it will think you have the wrong keys. What I did to correct this, was drive to a Ford dealership, tell them I needed my keys reprogrammed, I swapped the cluster, they came out with the box, re-did my keys, and I was out for $80 (one hour's labor, even though it took 10 minutes).

[hr]Rear defroster is ALWAYS on[hr]
This one, I've just patched till I can really fix it. The rear defroster button got moved in mid-01 as one of many changes to the edge stangs. It used to be up near the instrument cluster, right below the headlight ****... in mid-01 ford moved it to the center console by the shifter, trac off, and fog light buttons. The 99-01 stangs rear defroster button was a mechanical switch that physically connected/disconnected the circuit, and for some unknown reason, part of the wiring runs though the instrument cluster. In mid-01 they moved the button, and made it a toggle, the toggle flips a relay that is located in the instrument cluster. Since the relay isn't there in the pre-01 cluster, the rear defroster is ALWAYS ON, regardless of if the stang is on or not... when I push the button, it blows the fuse for my A/C compressor clutch. The temporary solution to the problem was to remove the fuse in the engine bay for the rear defroster, that stops it from being on all of the time... if I push the button though, the fuse still blows for the A/C compressor.

Paragraph this out to help make it a bit more readable. I now have a wiring diagram that Tac2cul provided for me, what I am going to do is find one of the wires (red w/ yellow stripe), cut it, and add a mechanical switch for my rear defroster... I'd -like- to re-wire my defroster button to do this for me, but I don't think it will be possible. Plus, no one around here seems to have a clue about how the button really works. I don't have enough of an electrical background to figure it out, or all of this out... makes me wish I were an electrical engineer... but I don't have the patience for it, electrical phantoms like this would drive me purely insane.

Actually, those are the only issues I have had period. The dealership recorded my old mileage for insurance purposes... I'm very likely never going to sell my stang, so that will not be an issue.

Now, the computer does not need a reflash, all the signals that are sent to/from the cluster are digital, just numeric, and the same for all years that used the cluster... if you REALLY wanted to, you could put a cluster in from an expedition, explorer, excursion, ANYTHING FORD, as long as it has that digital odometer... it'll all read correctly (RPM and MPH, fuel, battery, you name it).

If anyone else has any questions about the swap, I think I've been through it all [:@] I can help if need be.

Here's a couple pictures:

At the dealership after the swap and re-program... SHE RUNS!

Here's some the day I installed it at home and realized it would not start:

Lastly, here's one at home, day 1 of having my stang at home (put 2200 miles on it in two days, driving it home from FL ).

Quick Reply: mileage