4.6L (1996-2004 Modular) Mustang Technical discussions on 1996-2004 4.6 Liter Modular Motors (2V and 4V) within.

need any help i can get

Search this Thread

Old 07-31-2006, 04:04 PM
sickspeedgt
3rd Gear Member

Default need any help i can get

im have problem after problem in my 97 cobra. Its been sitting for 2 weeks. heres the story. Took it out two weeks ago to get some food, it just loses power i was just driving normal. It wouldn't start back up, just turn over but not fire up. So i hauled it to the shop, the mechanic said my ECU was dead, he pulled my diablo chip out, replaced the ECU with a new one but didn't put the chip back in because he said it would void the warranty. Well with the new ECU it would run but really really bad. So i hauled it home, and i was pulling it off the trailer and it died again, and wouldn't crank. He said it threw 3 codes while he had it which were.

P1507 IAC related
P1131 H02 sensor indicates lean
P1100 Mass Air Flow sensor intermittent.

he cleared the codes. I pulled my CAI off the car took the MAF off, cleaned it with carb cleaner, let it air dry for at least 15 minutes. Checked my ECC fuse under the hood because my check engine light wasn't coming on when i would turn my key two notches up, meaning it was either dead again or had a bad fuse or some other stuff. Anyways, the fuse was blown, replaced the fuse and fired it up WITH the diablo chip reinstalled on new ECU, and whole CAI still uninstalled. It started and ran a lot better than it was before, but still a little sluggish, but held a good idle. So the next day, i put my MAF back together, and reinstalled my CAI, get in to start it up, and when i crank it, i hear a....PPPPPSSSSSSTTTT. like i either fried something or blew a hose off of something i look under the hood, and im smoking (white smoke, which i read is steam) from my IAC valve, im also smoking from inside my CAI where my IAC valve hose connects to the CAI. Now i think I may need a new IAC or when i started it up, my IAC hose wasn't sealed up good against the CAI hose, which i hope was the PPPPPSSSTTTT sound of air escaping. I got some GOOP, and sealed up the two hoses last night, and I am replacing the IAC today in hopes of that being the problem, but every problem i've heard of with the IAC being bad would be the car would start but not hold an idle, mine won't even start, it tries to crank but doesn't fire up. Im swapping the IAC, and if that doesn't work swapping the MAF. So does anyone know what could possibly be wrong, or if a bad MAF or IAC would keep my car from starting, remember i had it running with the MAF unplugged and the IAC was hooked up but the hose was disconnected from the CAI hose. Any help would be appreciated... NOTE:: i tried to search the IAC topics but kept getting a "NOT SPECIFIC ENOUGH" and "NO TOPICS FOUND" message
Old 07-31-2006, 04:05 PM
sickspeedgt
3rd Gear Member

Default RE: need any help i can get

also here are my mods if they help.

MOTOR
bored .020 over 283 cubic inches by Kim Barr
HP port and polished heads
HP blower cams .470 lift 282 220 int/exh. 114 lsa
manley forged flat top pistons
manley forged h beams
speedpro rings and clevlite bearings
arp main and head studs
FRPP windage tray
steeda underdrive pullies
gator belt
adjustable fuel pressure regulator

SUSPENSION
Ground Pounder Caster Camber plates
tokiko illuminas 5 way adj. struts and shocks
Eibach pro kit springs

DRIVELINE
tremec 3550
fidanza billet aluminum flywheel
FMS al. driveshaft
4.10 gears
Steeda firewall adjustor
Pro 5.0 shifter
Ram 900 dual friction clutch
flywheel insert

EXHAUST
BBK LT's
BBK cat h and o/r h
flow cat back

FUEL
walbro 255lph in tank pump
Old 07-31-2006, 04:26 PM
sickspeedgt
3rd Gear Member

bump
Old 07-31-2006, 04:29 PM
Derf00
Gentleman's Relish

ORIGINAL: sickspeedgt

im have problem after problem in my 97 cobra. Its been sitting for 2 weeks. heres the story. Took it out two weeks ago to get some food, it just loses power i was just driving normal. It wouldn't start back up, just turn over but not fire up. So i hauled it to the shop, the mechanic said my ECU was dead, he pulled my diablo chip out, replaced the ECU with a new one but didn't put the chip back in because he said it would void the warranty. Well with the new ECU it would run but really really bad. So i hauled it home, and i was pulling it off the trailer and it died again, and wouldn't crank. He said it threw 3 codes while he had it which were.

P1507 IAC related
P1131 H02 sensor indicates lean
P1100 Mass Air Flow sensor intermittent.

he cleared the codes. I pulled my CAI off the car took the MAF off, cleaned it with carb cleaner, let it air dry for at least 15 minutes. Checked my ECC fuse under the hood because my check engine light wasn't coming on when i would turn my key two notches up, meaning it was either dead again or had a bad fuse or some other stuff. Anyways, the fuse was blown, replaced the fuse and fired it up WITH the diablo chip reinstalled on new ECU, and whole CAI still uninstalled. It started and ran a lot better than it was before, but still a little sluggish, but held a good idle. So the next day, i put my MAF back together, and reinstalled my CAI, get in to start it up, and when i crank it, i hear a....PPPPPSSSSSSTTTT. like i either fried something or blew a hose off of something i look under the hood, and im smoking (white smoke, which i read is steam) from my IAC valve, im also smoking from inside my CAI where my IAC valve hose connects to the CAI. Now i think I may need a new IAC or when i started it up, my IAC hose wasn't sealed up good against the CAI hose, which i hope was the PPPPPSSSTTTT sound of air escaping. I got some GOOP, and sealed up the two hoses last night, and I am replacing the IAC today in hopes of that being the problem, but every problem i've heard of with the IAC being bad would be the car would start but not hold an idle, mine won't even start, it tries to crank but doesn't fire up. Im swapping the IAC, and if that doesn't work swapping the MAF. So does anyone know what could possibly be wrong, or if a bad MAF or IAC would keep my car from starting, remember i had it running with the MAF unplugged and the IAC was hooked up but the hose was disconnected from the CAI hose. Any help would be appreciated... NOTE:: i tried to search the IAC topics but kept getting a "NOT SPECIFIC ENOUGH" and "NO TOPICS FOUND" message

Sounds like you have a cracked intake manifold. Water (steam) shoudl not be eminating from either of those points unless you have a cracked upper intake. How's your coolant level?
Old 07-31-2006, 04:31 PM
sickspeedgt
3rd Gear Member

coolant is topped off
Old 07-31-2006, 08:37 PM
sickspeedgt
3rd Gear Member

bump
Old 07-31-2006, 09:28 PM
jgault00GT
2nd Gear Member

wut the hell does bump mean? yes im a newb.
Old 07-31-2006, 09:32 PM
StickShifty
5th Gear Member

moves the thread back to the top of the list, so more people will look at it.