4.6L (1996-2004 Modular) Mustang Technical discussions on 1996-2004 4.6 Liter Modular Motors (2V and 4V) within.

car is bogging????????

Search this Thread

Old 07-31-2006, 11:24 PM
Flyingmau5
5th Gear Member

Default RE: car is bogging????????

ORIGINAL: yellowcobra

i have done both and the roll out works better but it still bogs. I've been driving stick for just over 7 years so i know its not me.
You can drive all you want but that doesn't neccassarily mean you're skilled in driving. It's just like flying... If you're taught one way, you're kinda stuck with it. Driving stick for many years doesn't qualify you as an expert in shifting techniques. If you start crappy on day 1, you're prone to mistakes and they will accumulate as years pass by... Just my two cents.
Old 07-31-2006, 11:55 PM
II 98 GT II
4th Gear Member

If he can tell that its bogging and that it is a bad launch, then that means he knows what a good launch feels like. I don't think this is an issue of driver error....
Old 07-31-2006, 11:59 PM
Flyingmau5
5th Gear Member

some people just can't launch [&:]
Old 08-01-2006, 12:05 AM
II 98 GT II
4th Gear Member

true... I guess you do have to think about that possibility... I personally have no clue as to what would be wrong with the car mechanically...
Old 08-01-2006, 03:28 AM
01yellowgt
3rd Gear Member

First thing try doing a burnout with out going through the water. If you cant get a good burnout going, back into the edge of where its wet, spin tires once, pull up and then do a burnout. 90% of the time you might be getting a good burnout or 10% of the time the tires are just a tad bit of water coming from the treads or dripping front your fender wells. try that and see if it changes to 100% bogging doing the same thing you was doing for launching, then adjust from there. DR's are tricky you either get a bog or spin when it comes to a manual it seems. manuals tend to do better with a et street than a DR'. Now a auto does better with DR's than a manual when at the track. Hard to find the right combo. have you found what rpm your car spins the tires off the line. Also how does it feel in you slip the clutch from about 3000, 3500 or 4000
What tires are you running on? what tire pressure you running ? also is the first runs the ones bogging or the last or is there any standard to it. how about what cars run that run infront of you, are they slicks or streets. Are they hooking, spinning or bogging. Is this all in the same lane that you are comparing?

I bogged once dumping the clutch on MT DR's dumping the clutch off a two step tune set at 4k out of the 4 times. The time I bogged I was in the left lane. When i tried then launching with the 2 step tune a@ 4.5k i spin some. but the 4k, 4.5k and 5k two steps were all in the 1.9xx 60'
Old 08-01-2006, 03:37 AM
GT_Bob
3rd Gear Member

i don't understand why, but i cannot get a good launch in my cobra it just seems to bog everytime unless i hold it out to like 4k rpms and then it just will screw my rear end. Occasionally it seems to work fine but i'd say 90% of the time it seems to not want to launch right. I try holding the rpms at about 2k and just let go of the clucth and it bogs. I try to do a normal yet quick take off and it bogs. What could possibly be the problem??????

Sounds like a slipping clutch.
Old 08-01-2006, 11:48 AM
CobraSnake
5th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: GT_Bob

i don't understand why, but i cannot get a good launch in my cobra it just seems to bog everytime unless i hold it out to like 4k rpms and then it just will screw my rear end. Occasionally it seems to work fine but i'd say 90% of the time it seems to not want to launch right. I try holding the rpms at about 2k and just let go of the clucth and it bogs. I try to do a normal yet quick take off and it bogs. What could possibly be the problem??????

Sounds like a slipping clutch.
see thats what i thought, but the clutch is not slipping it seems to grab just doesn't grab as good as it should???
Old 08-01-2006, 12:40 PM
CobraSnake
5th Gear Member

bump
Old 08-01-2006, 01:10 PM
Dan04COBRA
Super Moderator

Hey, chill out on the bumps will ya?

Also, you didn't even give longer than an hour for your first response. You'll get plenty of help, but the more impatient you get the less willing people are going to be to offer their advice.

Anyways, get your car out on the road, put it in 3rd gear, let it cruise for a moment and slam the gas. Does it rev up a lot and then takes off or does it just take off?

My experiences with drag radials have been either I spin the tires or have a slight bog, nothing quite like yours though.
Old 08-01-2006, 01:23 PM
CobraSnake
5th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: Dan04COBRA

Hey, chill out on the bumps will ya?

Also, you didn't even give longer than an hour for your first response. You'll get plenty of help, but the more impatient you get the less willing people are going to be to offer their advice.

Anyways, get your car out on the road, put it in 3rd gear, let it cruise for a moment and slam the gas. Does it rev up a lot and then takes off or does it just take off?

My experiences with drag radials have been either I spin the tires or have a slight bog, nothing quite like yours though.
it just takes off. Like i said before it is not a slipping clutch it just isn't engaging the way it should

Quick Reply: car is bogging????????