4.6L (1996-2004 Modular) Mustang Technical discussions on 1996-2004 4.6 Liter Modular Motors (2V and 4V) within.

installing SLP LoudMouth II

Search this Thread

Old 08-02-2006, 12:12 AM
powerslave_clay
1st Gear Member

Default RE: installing SLP LoudMouth II

and thank you for the shop price! I didn't think it would be hella expensive, because if the folks around here who are not trained mechanics can do it easily, a pro should have no trouble.
Old 08-02-2006, 12:22 AM
sfi
3rd Gear Member

EAsy install if you have jack stands and a good jack. I did it in a hour and a half going real sloooooooooow. I had zero issue and Im novice at this. I had no trouble with my bushings, though i used a hack saw to cut my flowmasters off at the inlet. I think the hardest thing I had to do was align the tips to match the distance sticking out at the rear of the car. You'll be happy with the sound.
Old 08-02-2006, 07:46 AM
03GTGreen
2nd Gear Member

I also self installed and the hardest part was gettin the old exhaust off. I cut the old one right at the bend above the axle and let me tell u it was a pain in the A#*. I broke about 5 saw zaw blades but once I got threw it came right off and then I easily bolted the new one on. All I used was a 1 ton jack, 2 jack stands for the back, whatever sockets I needed and the saw zaw. It shouldnt take more than an hour and a half. As for a shop doin it, well there really is no reason, I wouldnt pay over 150 to have someone else install it. Theres more pride if u install it yourself though.
Old 08-02-2006, 10:38 AM
mvr
6th Gear Member

yeah, i was talkin to my dad who has done stuff like this to his past cars. when it comes in were gunna take a look and see if were comforatable doing it, if not im going down today to get a price quote from the local shop.
Old 08-02-2006, 12:43 PM
PushinTheLimit
5th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: mvr

so i ordered the lm2 catback today should be here by the weekend. im just wondering how hard it would be to install it myself. if any of you have installed your LM yourself could tell me what is required. im going to go down to the local shop to see what the damage would be if i had it installed there. also when i get it on i plan on making a good quality video of the lm2 since they are only a hand full and most of them are full exhaust or bad quality.
Are you installing the LM II's with the stock mid-pipe? Or do you have an aftermarket mid-pipe going with it? I'm just curious cuz I plan on getting the LM II's as well but kinda see sawing on getting a catted H or an O/R H to go with it. Do put some good video/sound clips because I am very interested on how they sound for you. Good luck man.
Old 08-02-2006, 01:22 PM
hdawg06
2nd Gear Member

A local shop around here charged $125 to do the exhaust on my friends T/A. It took about 20minutes on a lift. I know, he got ripped badly.

By the way. Buying jackstands and a jack aren't too expensive. Probaly cheaper than the exhaust install.
Old 08-02-2006, 01:35 PM
Car_Ramrod
4th Gear Member

a speed shop quoted me like $100. my friend and helped me out and we did it ourselves. it was a Bassani catback...but still...a catback. wasnt too bad.

when we were doing it we didnt label/pay attention when we took off the old stuff and put on the new stuff so we kept mixing up driver and passenger side lol. it ended up taking us a long *** time...but...i saved $100...sooo...worth it.

if you should happen to live in southwest florida...ill help you if you want lol.

Edit: yea...my friend who helped me had just bought jackstands the day before...12 bucks for two of them at walmart. 12 bucks for jackstands is better than 100 for installation. plus...theres a fighting chance youll end up doing something else that requires jackstands.
Old 08-02-2006, 02:25 PM
d3mon
3rd Gear Member

same here a shop quoted me $100 the they saw my car and said $120 since i didn't have cats and is illegal to do exhaust work with no cats, so those 20 will cover their *** and blah blah blah, so i borrowed some jack stands, my dad's saw-saw i dodnt took me long, of course i had to do some adjustment after cuz the pipes was hitting my suspension and rattling but since is just clamped was easy
Old 08-02-2006, 02:54 PM
mvr
6th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: goldeneagle_10

ORIGINAL: mvr

so i ordered the lm2 catback today should be here by the weekend. im just wondering how hard it would be to install it myself. if any of you have installed your LM yourself could tell me what is required. im going to go down to the local shop to see what the damage would be if i had it installed there. also when i get it on i plan on making a good quality video of the lm2 since they are only a hand full and most of them are full exhaust or bad quality.
Are you installing the LM II's with the stock mid-pipe? Or do you have an aftermarket mid-pipe going with it? I'm just curious cuz I plan on getting the LM II's as well but kinda see sawing on getting a catted H or an O/R H to go with it. Do put some good video/sound clips because I am very interested on how they sound for you. Good luck man.
i have a completely stock car and i will be running them with the stock manifold and hpipe. i already took a short clip of the car reving as it is so that i can make a short vid that compares them.