4.6L (1996-2004 Modular) Mustang Technical discussions on 1996-2004 4.6 Liter Modular Motors (2V and 4V) within.

Next Mod

Search this Thread

Old 08-02-2006, 12:12 PM
Car_Ramrod
4th Gear Member

Default Next Mod

ok...this summer has been coming along nicely. i have a beautiful Vortech kit laying around awaiting install lol. I put my Bassani catback on yesterday with help from one of my friends. i will probably do one more thing this summer...and then there will be a period of just making money so i can afford the supercharger install with no setbacks. so...what do you think would be better...

1.) LT Headers, Short O/R H pipe, SPEC Stage 2 Clutch

2.) 3.73 Gears, Diablo Handheld Tuner

i cant decide which i would like better/would be better to get done first. so as always...i come to my Mustang family for help, advice, and opinions. thanks in advance everybody.
Old 08-02-2006, 12:19 PM
sstang
5th Gear Member

Default RE: Next Mod

That is a pretty tough choice. I guess I would go with the gears and tuner. The LT's and clutch would be a more expensive/more time consuming install. Actually, if it was me, I would have that supercharger installed before anything else went on.
Old 08-02-2006, 12:23 PM
bsteen81
3rd Gear Member

Well you are going to want the tune no matter what. I would suggest getting an sct tuner so when you do put your s/c on you can get it pro tuned on a dyno, but you can wait until the time comes for that. You will also most certainly want long tube headers and an h-pipe or prochamber, the exhaust really helps out a s/c car. Of course if your clutch is stock you NEED a new one, or else you wont have one when you get your s/c. The only thing on your list that is really not a must have is the gears. Everything else you are really going to want by the time you get hooked up. So I guess my answer is LT headers, mid pipe, clutch.
Old 08-02-2006, 01:28 PM
Car_Ramrod
4th Gear Member

i thought of putting on the supercharger now...but..i cant...cuz right now...i have stock clutch, stock suspension (traction)...and i need a handheld tuner anyways before i can get the dyno tune...and since a tuner is about $380...and i can get the gear package for $450...well...i decided some 3.73s wouldnt hurt.

either way...both of these will be done before the Vortech goes in...I just cant decide which i want first. cuz i will probably get one now...and then the other wont be gotten till probably october at the earliest.

if i get 3.73s and the Diablo Tuner...i might get some Control Arms too to help traction.
Old 08-02-2006, 01:59 PM
bsteen81
3rd Gear Member

ORIGINAL: Car_Ramrod

i thought of putting on the supercharger now...but..i cant...cuz right now...i have stock clutch, stock suspension (traction)...and i need a handheld tuner anyways before i can get the dyno tune...and since a tuner is about $380...and i can get the gear package for $450...well...i decided some 3.73s wouldnt hurt.

either way...both of these will be done before the Vortech goes in...I just cant decide which i want first. cuz i will probably get one now...and then the other wont be gotten till probably october at the earliest.

if i get 3.73s and the Diablo Tuner...i might get some Control Arms too to help traction.
Well unless you have full bolt-ons, a tuner really wont help much, which is why I suggest waiting until you get your s/c mounted. And if you go with the gears your gonna have to spend a bunch of money on suspension so you can hook up. If it were me I would stick with the clutch and exhaust first. After you do that and bolt on your s/c you will be able to play right away. If you get the gears, you wont be able to hook up, all you can do is say I have a s/c.
Old 08-02-2006, 02:09 PM
newb2000GT
4th Gear Member

By doing stuff before a new clutch you are just putting your Vortech install off further. You NEED a new clutch to run your Vortech.

Thje only traction help you need is full length subframe connectors. Of course, once you get the 3.73's you'll need subframes plus other suspension stuff like a grip box from MM. If you're upgrading suspension that much, just do 4.10's.

I think you will enjoy your Vortech more with the full exhaust, as FI benefits greatly from improved flow. Save the gear swap for when you get used to running boost. After a couple of months with boost, I'm finally ready for gears but I need more meat in the rear and more suspension work before the 4.10's go in.
Old 08-02-2006, 02:34 PM
Car_Ramrod
4th Gear Member

newb2000...you arent having any problems with traction with 398 rwhp and fully length subframe connectors as your only suspension mod?
Old 08-02-2006, 02:49 PM
blackbetty01
4th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: newb2000GT
By doing stuff before a new clutch you are just putting your Vortech install off further. You NEED a new clutch to run your Vortech.

The only traction help you need is full length subframe connectors.
Of course, once you get the 3.73's you'll need subframes plus other suspension stuff like a grip box from MM. If you're upgrading suspension that much, just do 4.10's.

I think you will enjoy your Vortech more with the full exhaust, as FI benefits greatly from improved flow. Save the gear swap for when you get used to running boost. After a couple of months with boost, I'm finally ready for gears but I need more meat in the rear and more suspension work before the 4.10's go in.
I honestly couldnt have put it better myself.
Old 08-02-2006, 04:27 PM
bsteen81
3rd Gear Member

newb2000...you arent having any problems with traction with 398 rwhp and fully length subframe connectors as your only suspension mod?
Yea, how do you get that power down with just sub-frames?
Old 08-02-2006, 04:31 PM
bsteen81
3rd Gear Member

ORIGINAL: newb2000GT

Thje only traction help you need is full length subframe connectors. Of course, once you get the 3.73's you'll need subframes plus other suspension stuff like a grip box from MM. If you're upgrading suspension that much, just do 4.10's.

Why would you suggest 4.10's? Its gonna be hard enough for him to get power down with the 3.73's, let alont the fact that he will have absolutley no first gear. It would be pointless. Every siongle person I have talked to including many speed shops have said the same thing. If you go with f/i dont get 4.10's.

Quick Reply: Next Mod