4.6L (1996-2004 Modular) Mustang Technical discussions on 1996-2004 4.6 Liter Modular Motors (2V and 4V) within.

my luck prevails with the H install

Search this Thread

Old 08-02-2006, 01:19 PM
monkeydude3
6th Gear Member

Default my luck prevails with the H install

Well I got everything stock off and 75% of the mac O/R H installed. Here's the problem, as my luck would have it. On the driver's side, the studs and nuts came off as one piece from the H to manifold connection, so they are stuck on the stock H. Tried vice grips, PB blaster and a socket and could not separate the two.

So I figure no biggy just buy them new from Ford, considering my price on parts is 10% over cost. Ha ha... they had the nuts, but not the studs. And none were at any Ford dealer within like 200 miles. So once again my car is laid up for the time being for a few dollars worth of steel. I don't get it, it's the same stud they use in almost all of the 4.6s... you'd think they would stock some.

I fired it up for grins, and the passenger side that has the complete exhaust sounds like a muscle car, and the driver's side since it's open manifold now sounds like a truck.

haha, I can't wait to get this done

George
Old 08-02-2006, 01:29 PM
mustang_montana
4th Gear Member

Default RE: my luck prevails with the H install

you try the hardware store for that stud? until you get a new one you could still thread it into the header, you might try threading another nut underneath the one thats stuck, screw the stud into the header then put a wrench around the second nut, and a ratchet to unscrew the one thats stuck. its worked for me, that passenger side is a bitch.
Old 08-02-2006, 01:36 PM
monkeydude3
6th Gear Member

nah i have them ordered... and i got people to drive me a round for a day or too no big deal. I figure I'm not gonna half *** anything anymore... my car's gettin the full ***

it's the driver's side that the studs came out. The pass side is quite easy IMO just gotta know what yer doin
Old 08-02-2006, 01:38 PM
GodAmGT00
5th Gear Member

I think what mustang_montana is trying to get at is called "Double Nutting.."

Not what most of the younger guys do here [&:]

When you put the 2 nuts on the stud, you spin them together, and then turn in the opposite direction, so it tightens the 2. THEN, you can spin the stud back in the manifold, or put it in a vice, and try to get a good grip on the stud, or nut, and try to loosen it that way...

It works, it just takes some finesse...

JT
Old 08-02-2006, 01:39 PM
Car_Ramrod
4th Gear Member

just take off the other side for now and drive around with more or less open headers for a few days
Old 08-02-2006, 01:41 PM
monkeydude3
6th Gear Member

i know the double nutting thing... it's just the stud came out with the nut as one piece, and the way it is in the flange it is stuck in the stock H. It's no big deal to wait to get the right parts

and running open headers... I wish... yeah and weld my heads to the block lol

I started it up once with no exhaust at all and it sounded pretty good on idle but beyond that like poo
Old 08-02-2006, 01:51 PM
GodAmGT00
5th Gear Member

Nothing like shooting flames to really brighten up your day..

Well, there's nothing wrong w/ new hardware, especially on exhaust parts.. Don't forget the Anti-seize in larger quantities..

JT
Old 08-02-2006, 01:53 PM
mustang_montana
4th Gear Member

our cars sound like *** open headers, not to mention it wont make it down the street without the o2 sensors. passenger side was a bitch for me at first, but was real easy with the right extension/swivel heads. i dont understand how your drivers side stud came out, the two bolts on mine have a nut welded on the end so it would be impossible.
Old 08-02-2006, 02:09 PM
monkeydude3
6th Gear Member

I know! exactly! Any problem that doesn't normally happen, will surely happen on MY car when I work on it.
Old 08-02-2006, 02:44 PM
ASUSMC
4th Gear Member

At least you didn't bust your intake manifold while changing a F*CKING SPARK PLUG. Now my idler pulley is screaming at me. That and a new belt going on tonight.... Lets hope nothing else breaks. On a positive note my credit card limit was upped by Visa another $500.00!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Quick Reply: my luck prevails with the H install