4.6L (1996-2004 Modular) Mustang Technical discussions on 1996-2004 4.6 Liter Modular Motors (2V and 4V) within.

Taking off Top Strut Nut HELP

Search this Thread

Old 08-03-2006, 02:15 PM
Derf00
Gentleman's Relish

Default RE: Taking off Top Strut Nut HELP

ORIGINAL: monkeydude3

ORIGINAL: gtboy2k

I am not trying to replace the strut, just trying to install some MM caster/camber plates. So I will need a tool from sears to remove the top strut nut?

I just did that on mine!

Bud... you'll need an impact. I tried a wrench and a screwdriver, broke a screwdriver and almost broke my hand when the screwdriver slipped out. Went to my friend's house who has a compressor (I dont' have one yet) and you just zip it right off.

And to tighten it down, just zip it back on with the impact. I have no noise or loose issues on the CC plates with mine from doing that

ooo while you have everything apart check your ball joints for play. Mine have like 1/2" of movement, it's crazy i'm doin those this weekend too
Yep, only way to do it. Plus, trying to tighten back up by hand...not easy by any means...you will need a gun to retighen it. If you're just doing CC plates you should not have to drop the bottom part of the strut, just the strut rod nut (single nut you're already working on) the other 3 or 4 for the bearing plate are easy to do by hand.

I checked out that sears tool...may work but you may end up busting up your hands and/or the tool and still get nowhere.
Old 08-04-2006, 03:06 AM
gtboy2k
2nd Gear Member

Ill ask around with my friends for an impact wrench, otherwise Ill let you guys know how the sockets work. None of you happen to live near wichita, KS do ya?
Old 08-04-2006, 03:09 AM
geetee03
5th Gear Member

i put on c/c plates not too long ago with no impact.

i put a wrench on the nut then put a big screw driver in the grove then put a pipe wrench on the screw driver (two person job)
Old 08-04-2006, 03:12 AM
monkeydude3
6th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: geetee03

i put a wrench on the nut then put a big screw driver in the grove then put a pipe wrench on the screw driver (two person job)
i tried that and broke the screwdriver, and then tried again an dalmost broke a knuckle lol

my nuts were stubborn
Old 08-04-2006, 03:14 AM
GT_Bob
3rd Gear Member

ORIGINAL: geetee03

Box-end wrench and a big **** screw driver is what I used. One man job, but hey, I'm a stud.

[sm=shades.gif]
Old 08-04-2006, 03:15 AM
97BlackStang
3rd Gear Member

Kansas City. Wanna make the drive ill help ya out.