4.6L (1996-2004 Modular) Mustang Technical discussions on 1996-2004 4.6 Liter Modular Motors (2V and 4V) within.
Old 10-22-2015, 03:04 PM
How-Tos on this Topic
Last edit by: IB Advertising
See related guides and technical advice from our community experts:

Browse all: Ford Mustang Brake Guides
Print Wikipost

Replacing brake pads. Need advice.

Old 08-03-2006, 12:50 PM
Derf00
Gentleman's Relish

Default RE: Replacing brake pads. Need advice.

excellent link!
Old 08-03-2006, 01:12 PM
d3mon
3rd Gear Member

for the front i just took the wheel off, unbolted the 2 bolts behind the caliper and i took the caliper out replaced the pads and done.... never used c-clamps, or bleed anything...
Old 08-03-2006, 01:21 PM
monkeydude3
6th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: Derf00

ORIGINAL: bvballer12

i just changed mine and the key is to open the bleeder and push in the caliper pistons with a big set of plyers, this works the best because it can be very hard to get the calipers around the pads and rotors
Or you could just loosen the Master cylinder so as the caliper piston gets pushed in, it displaces back into the master cylinder
it's actually optimal to open the bleeder, push the piston in, and close it. Do you want to shove any crap back into the ABS module or the master? And honestly after pad swaps, rotors, any brake work its always good to bleed each wheel to get out some fluid and flush out some crap
Old 08-03-2006, 01:29 PM
Derf00
Gentleman's Relish

ORIGINAL: monkeydude3

ORIGINAL: Derf00

ORIGINAL: bvballer12

i just changed mine and the key is to open the bleeder and push in the caliper pistons with a big set of plyers, this works the best because it can be very hard to get the calipers around the pads and rotors
Or you could just loosen the Master cylinder so as the caliper piston gets pushed in, it displaces back into the master cylinder
it's actually optimal to open the bleeder, push the piston in, and close it. Do you want to shove any crap back into the ABS module or the master? And honestly after pad swaps, rotors, any brake work its always good to bleed each wheel to get out some fluid and flush out some crap
I usually do a fluid replacement when I do my brakes so that last part is a mute point.

I have four tubes with check valves on them and a brake flushing kit I modified. I take the fourt tubes and put them on the 4 bleeder valves, the tubes go into bottles. I open all four bleeder valves while the brake flushing kit has a quart bottle of Dot4 attatched to it. I then push the brake pedal a number of times until the fluid coming out is clean. I close up all of the bleeders and the master. Then bleed out each caliper individually. I've got it down to 20 minutes now and I don't have to worry as much about crap in the lines since I have fresh fluid in every time.
Old 08-03-2006, 01:35 PM
monkeydude3
6th Gear Member

nice!
My buddy has a power bleeder you hook to the master... but it only works with metal masters. But dang, power bleeding makes life much easier.
Old 08-03-2006, 02:25 PM
gjscott
1st Gear Member

I'm European and have been changing brake pads plus everything else on cars for nearly 20 years and nobody ever skims disks at a routine brake pad change in Europe and that includes trucks and busses etc
I don't understand your 'heat cycling' statement. Your changing the pad so that negates that, and to harden cast iron you need to get to 1,500 to 1,750 degrees which I doubt any of us are getting to. The disks would warp way before that point and you'd have to change them anyway.

There is no need to skim unless the disks are scored, warped or massively uneven. And even then we replace the disks. This sounds like the similar scam and old wifes tale dreamt up by dealers and garages as the 3k oil change interval. Ford recommends 5k, at least they do in my maintenence manual.
Just because a garage says it, definately doesn't mean it's true. They're out to make money and if you think any other than that you'll be ripped off.

In Europe now many cars that are the same as here are having factory oil changes at between 10k to 20k miles including that first change after new, and there is nothing different about the car or the oil in Europe. Modern engineering tolerances are so accurate and oil quality is so high that it takes a long time for it to get contaminated and degrade. So the garages simply get their money other ways, sales, parts etc

Additionally the master cylinder is designed so that fluid can pass back through it wheither you have ABS or not, if it wasn't your brakes would lock on after the first use. You simply have to push the cylinders back slowly and steadily and maybe remove the resevoir cap in case theres too much fluid. I don't think you'd get any crap in your fluid thais way, if you did you would have had a leak from the piston seals first place.

Well that's my opinion anyway.
Old 08-03-2006, 02:34 PM
Derf00
Gentleman's Relish

If you don't skim/turn them at least get a grinder with a medium pad on it and cross/hatch the surface. This breaks the glaze on the rotors and allows the surface to properly mate with the new pads.
Old 08-03-2006, 03:24 PM
gjscott
1st Gear Member

This glazing that you talk about is not true, the only thing that could happen to cast iron is it could get hardened and that is very unlikely. The pads are way softer than the disk and there is a lot of friction so when you use your brakes so the pads will bed in very quickly whatever you do.

All you are doing by skimming or grinding is taking away mass from the disk which may have a detrimental effect on heat dissipation and will definately shorten disk life.

It's all a scam dreamt up by garages and disk manufacturers.

As I say, this is simply my opinion and is not stricktly true.
Old 09-15-2007, 05:49 PM
kingbri1
1st Gear Member

On an '04 Mustang... how do you get the caliper bolts to come out?? I've been trying to get the bolts out to replace the pads but they just come loose then spin.. they dont come out....am I missing something??? looks like there is another piece of the bolt that spins with it on the other side of the caliper connection...
Old 09-15-2007, 06:05 PM
fudleyd

ORIGINAL: monkeydude3

mind you, on the REAR brakes, the calipers require a special tool to push the piston back in, as the piston has to TURN and go in...
This is very true!!! If you don't turn the rear pistons clockwise as they are compressed back in you can blow them out!If this happens you will more than likely be replacing more parts than the pads...This isdue (I believe) to the integrated parking brake system.

ORIGINAL: kingbri1

On an '04 Mustang... how do you get the caliper bolts to come out?? I've been trying to get the bolts out to replace the pads but they just come loose then spin.. they dont come out....am I missing something??? looks like there is another piece of the bolt that spins with it on the other side of the caliper connection...
Use an open end wrench on the spinning bolt--there are two flats on it to grip as you loosen the nut.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Replacing brake pads. Need advice.