4.6L (1996-2004 Modular) Mustang Technical discussions on 1996-2004 4.6 Liter Modular Motors (2V and 4V) within.

my engine, what to do

Search this Thread

Old 08-05-2006, 04:20 AM
monkeydude3
6th Gear Member

Default my engine, what to do

Well I've done a lot of talking to people, and since I have an o/r H now I can really monitor my oil burning situation. It seems the way my car is smoking would point directly to the valve guide seals/top end. So how bad would it be to hold me over for my horsepower thirst, to do a PI swap with stage 1 cams? I figure this would be an inexpensive option to get some good horse out of my engine for a better dollar than a full rebuild right now, AND the whole engine doesn't have to come out of the car for this one either. I figure if I get a beater car this year, I may be able to pull off doing the swap over winter/early next spring.

It still screams and has good compression, which is why I figured the bottom end has to be still pretty good. Any input, let me know

George
Old 08-05-2006, 04:29 AM
GT_Bob
3rd Gear Member

Default RE: my engine, what to do

Compression test hmmmmhmhmhmhmhhm?

How do you know the bottom end is good with all that smoke.

If it is the heads, now is the time to do the PI swap. Just do it right with the intake and cams as well.

Old 08-05-2006, 04:32 AM
monkeydude3
6th Gear Member

well, with the smoke... it smokes at startup. It smokes after idling or sitting off. Buncha mechanics I talk to say it sounds like valve guide seals. If I hit it, rip on it... no smoke. Only after idling or sitting off.

I checked the compression a lil while back, and it's at about 150 psi or so per cylinder...

It's not smoking more than before. There are no more cats, so the smoke is now visible lol

I just figure I'll do one more final compression test to be sure, and then it'd be a good option to do an intake, heads, stage 1 cams and some headers and i'll be in the 250+ rwhp zone and be set for a while
Old 08-05-2006, 04:37 AM
GT_Bob
3rd Gear Member

ORIGINAL: monkeydude3

well, with the smoke... it smokes at startup. It smokes after idling or sitting off. Buncha mechanics I talk to say it sounds like valve guide seals. If I hit it, rip on it... no smoke. Only after idling or sitting off.

I checked the compression a lil while back, and it's at about 150 psi or so per cylinder...

It's not smoking more than before. There are no more cats, so the smoke is now visible lol

I just figure I'll do one more final compression test to be sure, and then it'd be a good option to do an intake, heads, stage 1 cams and some headers and i'll be in the 250+ rwhp zone and be set for a while
PI heads here you come.
Old 08-05-2006, 04:39 AM
monkeydude3
6th Gear Member

yup! As much as I want a full engine right now, it's not feasible. A pi swap, however, is!!!

What would one cost me in parts roughly with me doing pretty much all the work mahself?

would it be possible to install thicker head gaskets to keep the compression ratio tame?
Old 08-05-2006, 04:44 AM
ShadowDrake
5th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: monkeydude3

yup! As much as I want a full engine right now, it's not feasible. A pi swap, however, is!!!

What would one cost me in parts roughly with me doing pretty much all the work mahself?

would it be possible to install thicker head gaskets to keep the compression ratio tame?
Cost? A PI swap isn't -too- bad, I'd say you're looking in the $1200 range for new stuff... but don't quote me on that by any means, it's just an estimate. You need a pair of heads with all the valve goodies, a pair of cams of course, and a new intake manifold.

Yes you can install a thicker head gasket to bring your compression ratio back down, but in reality, I think you only are going to pick up about half a point of compression.
Old 08-05-2006, 04:47 AM
monkeydude3
6th Gear Member

all right sweet. Sometime in the near future I'm gonna do another compression test to make sure everything is still good, then if so I'm gonna start piecing together a PI swap
Old 08-05-2006, 04:50 AM
monkeydude3
6th Gear Member

one could only hope this kit will be around in the future...

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/1996-...spagenameZWD1V
Old 08-05-2006, 06:21 AM
monkeydude3
6th Gear Member

anyone think that would be a good kit to start with?
Old 08-05-2006, 11:30 AM
GodAmGT00
5th Gear Member

George,

Sounds good, but I'd just keep an eye on those for now. You're bound to run into someone along the lines who will have some cheaper stuff.. I know you keep this in mind, but what about the Cams too??

Also, the good news is, there's always people out there looking for OEM replacement stuff.. Your old heads serve as a great core-charge, or platform to rebuild, provided it's just the valve guides. I'm thinking, since performance hasn't suffered, they're fine...

JT

Quick Reply: my engine, what to do