4.6L (1996-2004 Modular) Mustang Technical discussions on 1996-2004 4.6 Liter Modular Motors (2V and 4V) within.

gains from going catted X to a O/R X???

Search this Thread

Old 08-07-2006, 03:16 AM
racer02GTstang
5th Gear Member

Default gains from going catted X to a O/R X???

well... i just installed a off road X pipe on my car and it seems to be quicker... why could this seem it... it just feels it noticably.... from scraping the cats on stuff, could it break up the stuff inside and make it clog up some making less horsepower? this just seems like the only way i can think of this feeling quicker....

EDIT:

and before i had BBK L/T headers, catted X, and borla catback... now i have the o/r x instead of catted.
Old 08-07-2006, 03:20 AM
four-sixer
2nd Gear Member

Default RE: gains from going catted X to a O/R X???

er...

With cats, the air has to stop when it gets to them so that it can be filtered, which means that it slows down and doesnt make it out faster, which means less airflow and without cats it just goes through, and that freeing up of airflow gets you more horses. And makes it sound bad @ss
Old 08-07-2006, 03:24 AM
racer02GTstang
5th Gear Member

yea, i just didnt think i would get that that much more... and the car is loud as hell.... my exhuast has been getting louder over time and now it just got a ton louder.... like right around 2400 rpms.... i cant even hear the music good... haha.
Old 08-07-2006, 03:27 AM
four-sixer
2nd Gear Member

ORIGINAL: racer02GTstang

yea, i just didnt think i would get that that much more... and the car is loud as hell.... my exhuast has been getting louder over time and now it just got a ton louder.... like right around 2400 rpms.... i cant even hear the music good... haha.

ahhh yeah, that's when you know you have a killer exhaust setup
Old 08-07-2006, 03:29 AM
racer02GTstang
5th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: four-sixer

ahhh yeah, that's when you know you have a killer exhaust setup
yep.... the borlas just sound amazing with headers... and when boost is going through there... it just gets that much louder.
Old 08-07-2006, 03:30 AM
Albizo66
4th Gear Member

well you're blown racer, so you have a lot of exhaust to get out, and now that there are not cats, all that exhaust gets out a hell of a lot faster, which = more power...on a slightly stock set up, this probably wouldn't be so, but in your case, it seems to be
Old 08-07-2006, 03:31 AM
four-sixer
2nd Gear Member

mmmmm, i wish i had a supercharger under my hood
Old 08-07-2006, 03:39 AM
racer02GTstang
5th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: Albizo66

well you're blown racer, so you have a lot of exhaust to get out, and now that there are not cats, all that exhaust gets out a hell of a lot faster, which = more power...on a slightly stock set up, this probably wouldn't be so, but in your case, it seems to be
hmmm... that does make sense.. now it just makes me wonder how much i gained... haha.

Old 08-07-2006, 03:40 AM
Albizo66
4th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: Albizo66

hmmm... that does make sense.. now it just makes me wonder how much i gained... haha.

haha well you could always take it to the dyno again, but the butt dyno seems to be accurate enough [8D] lol
Old 08-07-2006, 03:43 AM
racer02GTstang
5th Gear Member

i think it would have to be more than 10 hp... im not sure.. but 10 hp cant really be felt... it felt like almost the difference from when i got headers when i was n/a.. but there is no way i got 30 hp or so... maybe mid teens or close to 20 to feel the difference?

Quick Reply: gains from going catted X to a O/R X???