4.6L (1996-2004 Modular) Mustang Technical discussions on 1996-2004 4.6 Liter Modular Motors (2V and 4V) within.

Racing seats

Search this Thread

Old 08-09-2006, 06:22 PM
Aixtreme89
5th Gear Member

Default RE: Racing seats

When I bought my 315 ans 275 tires. I saw a big increase in lateral hold in traction. I can lose tractions almost just as easy as with the stock 245's. Heres what holds me in place. Like my seat? I still have a hell of alot of stuff to get before I am satisfied. But the stock seat was the worst peice of junk. Its like a seat they would use in a Camry. Now the 0--04 CObra seats are pretty nice. They have some support.

Old 08-09-2006, 06:23 PM
movalstang

do you have any pics of your seat set up i can see
Old 08-09-2006, 06:25 PM
Aixtreme89
5th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: GodAmGT00

I like them because as Aixtreme also mentioned, the Side bolster keep you firmly planted no matter what. It's like your car is gripping you.... A lot of people dislike them because they can't adjust the seat back..

JT
You can get adjustable seats. Recaro, Sparco and Cobra make great relinable and shell seats. Even the 2000 Cobra R came with Recaro racing seats! Porches, Evos, Audi S4's, VW R32 all come with Recaro racing seats stock.
Old 08-09-2006, 06:28 PM
GodAmGT00
5th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: Aixtreme89
You can get adjustable seats. Recaro, Sparco and Cobra make great relinable and shell seats. Even the 2000 Cobra R came with Recaro racing seats! Porches, Evos, Audi S4's, VW R32 all come with Recaro racing seats stock.

True, but in terms of weight savings, you don't get much more w/ the adjustables, than w/ a shell alone... Maybe I'm a glutton for punishment.. I just don't see a point to having comfort in a 400hp+ machine.. Unless I paid $400,000 for it, and then it better make me coffee in the morning when I get up, and wipe my a-s when I need it...

I thought about getting some Cobra seats, but they still weight a good bit over a set of Sparco Torino's... Those only weigh something like 6lbs, or maybe a little more.. The stock GT, Leather, electronic seat must weigh over 65lbs w/ the brackets... No thanks..

JT
Old 08-09-2006, 06:29 PM
Aixtreme89
5th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: movalstang

do you have any pics of your seat set up i can see
I dont have the right set-up... The seat alone holds me like a glove. I can grive around without a seat belt and not slide from my seat. But I would get a 4 point harness like this... http://www.sparcousa.com/pharness_tuning.asp?id=371 its easy to get in a out of for the street. Its got a belt clip just like anycar. And you dont need that submarine lower belt, for the street. I was thinking of getting a harness and bolting it to the baby seat restraint near the back windsheild. But that would look so ghetto. I am going to wait, I have more important things to spend my money for my car on first. Like a new motor...
Old 08-09-2006, 06:29 PM
uberstang1
Chupacabra

whow. no way!! You cant hook your shoulder straps to the floor boards. Because if you get into an accident, you go foward and the shoulder harnesses cause your torso to compress downward. You can get serious spinal injury because of that. Dont do that.. If you dont want to get a roll bar get this harness bar from Sparco.

Wow i never really looked into something like that, since I had my seats i had them bolted to the floor. Lol
Old 08-09-2006, 06:34 PM
Aixtreme89
5th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: Aixtreme89

True, but in terms of weight savings, you don't get much more w/ the adjustables, than w/ a shell alone... Maybe I'm a glutton for punishment.. I just don't see a point to having comfort in a 400hp+ machine.. Unless I paid $400,000 for it, and then it better make me coffee in the morning when I get up, and wipe my a-s when I need it...

I thought about getting some Cobra seats, but they still weight a good bit over a set of Sparco Torino's... Those only weigh something like 6lbs, or maybe a little more.. The stock GT, Leather, electronic seat must weigh over 65lbs w/ the brackets... No thanks..

JT
Yeah I had the leather electronic seat. It was heavy I dont know how much, but mabye 65lbs. I am not sure how much mine weighs but I save probably 50lbs. You can always get a kirkey seat if you dont care about comfort. They are pretty cheap, that is if you dont care about comfort. http://www.kirkeyracing.com/

I like the cobra and the Sparco seats, but I wasnt about to spend $900 on a seat without sitting in it first. So I want to a porsche dealership where they had a showroom for the Recaro seats. I sat in every model to see which one fit me the best. Then it was true love at first sit. I am 6'5 so nto many seats are designed for my height. I had to make sure my shoulders were in the right postion and that the harness would fit right through the seat.
Old 08-09-2006, 06:42 PM
GodAmGT00
5th Gear Member

Damn, 6'5"?? How do you fit in your car?? I'm 5'9", and if I hit a big enough bump, I can hit the roof...

Anyway, I've checked out the Kirkey seats, but they're a little too "cheap," for me.. Plus, aren't they just straight plastic?? It reminds me of a booster seat that I used as a very young child..

In terms of comfort, I mean, I don't need adjustability of the back.. A nice seat cover would be nice, since I'm thinking about getting rid of the A/C on the new engine. I don't want to stick to anything, or sweat my *** off.. That's about it...

JT
Old 08-09-2006, 06:50 PM
Aixtreme89
5th Gear Member

Damn, 6'5"?? How do you fit in your car?? I'm 5'9", and if I hit a big enough bump, I can hit the roof...

Anyway, I've checked out the Kirkey seats, but they're a little too "cheap," for me.. Plus, aren't they just straight plastic?? It reminds me of a booster seat that I used as a very young child..

In terms of comfort, I mean, I don't need adjustability of the back.. A nice seat cover would be nice, since I'm thinking about getting rid of the A/C on the new engine. I don't want to stick to anything, or sweat my *** off.. That's about it...

JT
My recaro seat lowered my down an inch to two inchs over the stock seat. Kirkey seats are tig welded aluminum. There really ment just for a race car. I dont know how you could stand a car without AC. I will always have AC in my car, I dont care if I added wieght. Or if my motor makes 800hp I want my AC.
Old 08-09-2006, 06:53 PM
GodAmGT00
5th Gear Member

Yeah, but I live in Massachusetts.. After I moved back to Mass. from Florida, I've found that there's no need for A/C.. Sure it gets hot a few days a year, just roll you windows down.. Although the A/C works good as a defroster...

Anyway, I mistook the Kirkey seats for the cheap plastic ones that places like Jeg's and Summit have..

Did you keep the sliders for your seat, or did you just mount them to the studs on the floor??

JT

Quick Reply: Racing seats