4.6L (1996-2004 Modular) Mustang Technical discussions on 1996-2004 4.6 Liter Modular Motors (2V and 4V) within.

Window problem

Search this Thread

Old 08-09-2006, 10:00 PM
BleedinBlue
5th Gear Member

Default Window problem

My passenger window will not roll up all of the sudden. I just rolled it down a little bit ago. Now, it will go up about a half an inch and stop. When rolling it all of the way down, there is a "Clanking" metal on metal noise. It sounds to me like a lose rod or something inside.

I am now trying to get the door panel off...is there anything but plastic clips holding the thing on? It feels very solid, but I can't find any screws or bolts that could be holding it. I did remove the bazels around the window controls and the trim inside the door handle, but can't find anything else.

I just want to be sure before I pull too hard on the panel and break it while it is being held in by something of more substance than a plastic clip.
Old 08-09-2006, 10:03 PM
blueherd02gt
5th Gear Member

Default RE: Window problem

you unscrew the two screws buy the door handle and lift and pull I spent my weekend to no avail going through the same thing
Old 08-09-2006, 10:06 PM
4.698GT
4th Gear Member

MAKE SURE YOU GO STRAIGHT UP WITH THE PANAL!!! if you dont and break off the little knobby things like I did, your not gonna be able to get the door panal back on.
Old 08-09-2006, 10:09 PM
TX02GT
2nd Gear Member

Did yours ever get fixed?

ORIGINAL: blueherd02gt

you unscrew the two screws buy the door handle and lift and pull I spent my weekend to no avail going through the same thing
Old 08-09-2006, 10:10 PM
blueherd02gt
5th Gear Member

The time I get off most shops are closing[&o] Maybe tomorrow[&o][:@][&:]
ORIGINAL: TX02GT

Old 08-09-2006, 10:10 PM
BleedinBlue
5th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: TX02GT

That was my next question blue...do you mean no avail to getting the door panel off, or no avail fixing your problem? Was it your window that you were trying to fix?

EDIT: Ohhh, so this is current events. I see. [:@]
Old 08-09-2006, 10:15 PM
blueherd02gt
5th Gear Member

Naw the panel came off easy (remember to lift and pull out) my window motor locked up and I tried to replace it myself but I kept cutting the **** out of my arm and hand. So I called a guy (referred by a buddy) and he said it can be replaced with the window in but it is a real PITA. So when I get a chance I'll shoot by his shop (he doesnt do mobile visits) and pay him $40 to do it. I bought the window motor from orieley"s auto parts for like $49 with core
Old 08-09-2006, 10:17 PM
blueherd02gt
5th Gear Member

It is a pain to get the motor off but honestly I should have paid somebody in the first place. My drivers side door now needs retinting[:@]
Old 08-09-2006, 10:21 PM
BleedinBlue
5th Gear Member

Well, the only thing I was doing wrong with the panel was pulling out instead of up. Got it off no problem now. I can't tell whats wrong though, it seems to me like the rails are getting in a bind.

The other day I closed that door and heard a rattle, I think something came loose then and I just now rolled the window down. It looks like I am headed to the shop. [:@]

I hope this isn't going to be the theme of my Mustang ownership...
Old 08-09-2006, 10:22 PM
P Zero
5th Gear Member

It is a pain to get the motor off but honestly I should have paid somebody in the first place. My drivers side door now needs retinting[:@]
You shoulda propped the window with it in the very upmost position.

Naw the panel came off easy (remember to lift and pull out) my window motor locked up and I tried to replace it myself but I kept cutting the **** out of my arm and hand. So I called a guy (referred by a buddy) and he said it can be replaced with the window in but it is a real PITA. So when I get a chance I'll shoot by his shop (he doesnt do mobile visits) and pay him $40 to do it. I bought the window motor from orieley"s auto parts for like $49 with core
Thats why you wear gloves and a long sleeve shirt. Get some mechanics gloves theyre reusable, and theyre a snug fit on your hands so you can still use tools with out the feeling of wearing mittens.
-P.

Quick Reply: Window problem