4.6L (1996-2004 Modular) Mustang Technical discussions on 1996-2004 4.6 Liter Modular Motors (2V and 4V) within.

New to this site and to the Mustang world, please help me

Search this Thread

Old 08-10-2006, 12:54 AM
Gurndogg

Default RE: New to this site and to the Mustang world, please help me

It sounds like I might go with the exhaust first.
Flowmaster Exhaust $300
Now where would you go from there?
Old 08-10-2006, 01:00 AM
97 5.0L
3rd Gear Member

ORIGINAL: Butters

PI heads, thats what everyone will suggest for your first or atleast a close to first mod. It'll improve vastly as the Non PI heads are really sucky.
Thats a pretty expensive first mod. He should get some exhaust and gears and a tune and then decide if he wants to continue to mod it. then pi heads would be great!
Old 08-10-2006, 01:08 AM
gt96stang
5th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: Butters

PI heads, thats what everyone will suggest for your first or atleast a close to first mod. It'll improve vastly as the Non PI heads are really sucky.
It's been proven that it is not the heads as much as people like to think, it's the cams and intake... But besides the point, that is quite expensive for first mods.
Old 08-10-2006, 01:55 AM
Darkcrime
4th Gear Member

If your asking about price and what not, you might want to start with the simple/cheap mods, cai, tb/plenum, exhaust...
If you have the money and your NOT going to put a sc or turbo on the car, I would do PI heads/Intake (cams if you can afford it), and a gear.

From what I hear, our cars (96-98 GT's) don't respond well to bolt on's before a PI Swap, so if your not going to use F/I, then you probabally want to start with the swap and gears.
Gears w/install shouldn't be more than $400-$500.
PI Swap heads/Intake (depends on where you get it from and if you do it yourself) approx $800-$1100 if you install. Install would cost around $500 (depending on where you take it)
These are just estimates.
Old 08-10-2006, 12:41 PM
bsteen81
3rd Gear Member

Well the first thing you are gonna want to do is figure out what oute you want to go. i.e Supercharger, Turbo, Nitrous or N/A=no forced induction. Once you figure that out it wil be easier to pick out what you are going to need. A supercharger will run you from 4-6k installed, maybe more. Turbo would be like atleast 7k I think, and Nitrous kits are around 500-700. If you want to get a supercharger or turbo, dont do a pi swap unless you have alot of money to rebuild your motor with forged internals. If you want nitrous you can do the pi swap and run about a 100 shot on the stock block. PI swap is about 1k-2k depending on where you get it installed. You may be better off swapping the motor for a remanufactured '99 or up. It will probably cost about the same. After you get the motor done, you can move on to the smaller stuff, or visa-versa. Gears are going to be your next very noticable mod. The problem is if you dont have your mods planned it could cost you in the future. Lets say you go with a supercharger or turbo set-up, you would want to get 3.73's, or if you end up with a big shot of nitrous. If you run a 100 shot or less or stay N/A you can get 4.10's. Gears run between 300-1000 installed, really depends on who istalls them. The exhaust is a more personal preference pick, they all pretty much give you the same performance, sound is what you will be going after here. Personally I like the flowmasters because they are inexpensive and sound great. If you like loud, loud, super loud raspy sound then go with the slp loudmouths, eww. The H-pipe will give you a good deep sound and a little less hp than the X-pipe. There is also a pro-chamber which is a combonation of the two, its about 100.00 more than the other two-250.00. Headers are a little more important, long tube headers with a ceramic coating are the absolute best for making hp. They can run from 450-900.00 and cost a pretty penny to install. Short headers and mid-length are really only usefull with forced induction and should not be considered if you dont go that route, but they only cost like 300-400. Intakes are the next huge debate. A CAI will only net you a few ponies but is important to the breathing of your car. Anything that is plastic or heat disbursing is better than metal. There are two types of cai, ram air and fender well. You could go on and on about which is better so do a little research and make your decison. The throttle body and plenum are next and just as long as you get a 75mm, you will be fine with any one you get. Supposidly the accufab are the best but I dont see any difference except for the price, about 250.00. Of course underdrive pulleys should be mounted, they help extend the life of your accessories and free up some hp. They can run from 75-200.00 Steeda are supposed to be the best. A shortshifter will help you throw quick shifts and are around 125-275.00 again steeda. There are also cams which are called the brain of your motor, they are expensive but help you tremendously, 500-over 1000.00. Computer chips are great for when you have alot of mods so you can tune the motor to run at peak. They are about 200-600.00 plus you should get a professional dyno tune which is usually 100-200.00. There are alot of little things I am leaving out because this is probably the longest post ever, but do some browsing on the sponsor sites to get an idea of what is out there and come back and ask any questions you have, you will have a million different opinons but they all help. Good luck!
Old 08-10-2006, 01:38 PM
Flyingmau5
5th Gear Member

oooh... the post above me should be a stickie for nublets
Old 08-10-2006, 02:31 PM
CobraBob
2nd Gear Member

ORIGINAL: bsteen81

Well the first thing you are gonna want to do is figure out what oute you want to go. i.e Supercharger, Turbo, Nitrous or N/A=no forced induction. Once you figure that out it wil be easier to pick out what you are going to need. A supercharger will run you from 4-6k installed, maybe more. Turbo would be like atleast 7k I think, and Nitrous kits are around 500-700. If you want to get a supercharger or turbo, dont do a pi swap unless you have alot of money to rebuild your motor with forged internals. If you want nitrous you can do the pi swap and run about a 100 shot on the stock block. PI swap is about 1k-2k depending on where you get it installed. You may be better off swapping the motor for a remanufactured '99 or up. It will probably cost about the same. After you get the motor done, you can move on to the smaller stuff, or visa-versa. Gears are going to be your next very noticable mod. The problem is if you dont have your mods planned it could cost you in the future. Lets say you go with a supercharger or turbo set-up, you would want to get 3.73's, or if you end up with a big shot of nitrous. If you run a 100 shot or less or stay N/A you can get 4.10's. Gears run between 300-1000 installed, really depends on who istalls them. The exhaust is a more personal preference pick, they all pretty much give you the same performance, sound is what you will be going after here. Personally I like the flowmasters because they are inexpensive and sound great. If you like loud, loud, super loud raspy sound then go with the slp loudmouths, eww. The H-pipe will give you a good deep sound and a little less hp than the X-pipe. There is also a pro-chamber which is a combonation of the two, its about 100.00 more than the other two-250.00. Headers are a little more important, long tube headers with a ceramic coating are the absolute best for making hp. They can run from 450-900.00 and cost a pretty penny to install. Short headers and mid-length are really only usefull with forced induction and should not be considered if you dont go that route, but they only cost like 300-400. Intakes are the next huge debate. A CAI will only net you a few ponies but is important to the breathing of your car. Anything that is plastic or heat disbursing is better than metal. There are two types of cai, ram air and fender well. You could go on and on about which is better so do a little research and make your decison. The throttle body and plenum are next and just as long as you get a 75mm, you will be fine with any one you get. Supposidly the accufab are the best but I dont see any difference except for the price, about 250.00. Of course underdrive pulleys should be mounted, they help extend the life of your accessories and free up some hp. They can run from 75-200.00 Steeda are supposed to be the best. A shortshifter will help you throw quick shifts and are around 125-275.00 again steeda. There are also cams which are called the brain of your motor, they are expensive but help you tremendously, 500-over 1000.00. Computer chips are great for when you have alot of mods so you can tune the motor to run at peak. They are about 200-600.00 plus you should get a professional dyno tune which is usually 100-200.00. There are alot of little things I am leaving out because this is probably the longest post ever, but do some browsing on the sponsor sites to get an idea of what is out there and come back and ask any questions you have, you will have a million different opinons but they all help. Good luck!
Excellent advice! I am a firm believer in thinking your project out before jumping into it. The following (or similar) may help.
1. Figure out your budget. How much can you spend?
2. Are you looking for performance mods, appearance mods, or both?
3. Are you going to build your motor or keep the stock bottom end/internals?
4. Determine what mods will work well with your stock motor if you're not going to build it up.
5. Prioritize your mods based on need and your budget.
6. Be sure you consider any and all supporting mods. You want a balance package vs. something just thrown together.
7. Take the time to talk to one or more good shops about your project. They can help answer questions and do any of the work that you can't do.
8. TAKE YOUR TIME! You'll be less apt to make a mistake that will end up costing you $$$.
9. Oh, and be careful you don't spend more on a project than you should. Establish at the beginning the maximum amount you want to spend. What you don't want is a money pit. LOL!
10. Lastly, ask a lot of questions!
Old 08-10-2006, 03:03 PM
kontroldkhaos
2nd Gear Member

i noticed its an automatic..i recommend a shift kit..
Old 08-10-2006, 03:09 PM
sstang
5th Gear Member

+1, or a tuner to firm up shifts, or a PA valve body...
Old 08-10-2006, 03:14 PM
Tellowman24
2nd Gear Member

ORIGINAL: sstang

+1, or a tuner to firm up shifts, or a PA valve body...
+1, thow in a 40$ tranny cooler too for tranny life