4.6L (1996-2004 Modular) Mustang Technical discussions on 1996-2004 4.6 Liter Modular Motors (2V and 4V) within.

low coolant light

Search this Thread

Old 08-10-2006, 08:02 PM
Emann0007
5th Gear Member

Default low coolant light

I got my raiadtor flushe dyesterday and all was good. I started the car up this morning on my way to work and got a low coolant light (the one on the right hand side with the fan in the water...). I pop the hood check out the resivoir and sure enough it's belwo the fill line. It's not way below just a bit under. It was always full to the brim before, even when cold. I drive to work with no problem, it's only 5 miles away. I get the light again when I leave work. Again it was cold. Stop by Midas on the way home tell them whats up. of course now the car is warm and the coolant is above the fill line. They suggest a pressure test and suspect a blown head gasket. I wanna slap those two jackasses (they were like 20 and 21 at the oldest). They couldn't top it off as it was because it was full.

My question is, since I can't get the car to them when it's cold shoudl I just wait until the morning when it's cold and add coolant or what? The car is still running warm. Not over heating, but running warm. Theone guy with a decent brain suggested a new thermostat, but I have an SLP 180* thermo in there and it's no more than 2 years old.
Old 08-10-2006, 08:07 PM
NightmareStang22
2nd Gear Member

Default RE: low coolant light

Are you leaking water from anywhere? You MAY have an air block. Meaning that air has gotten into the block and not allowing all the water into the block if you flushed it. Had it happen on a Formula before I switched to mustang. There should be some kind of air release valve somewhere....
Old 08-10-2006, 08:09 PM
NightmareStang22
2nd Gear Member

On a side note my Cobra runs warm sometimes by the gage, but its not running warm at all. I even have a 4 core radiator. Are you running a 180 Thermo? Try something cooler if so.
Old 08-10-2006, 08:13 PM
lizzyfan
Underboss

Something similar happened to me. Light came on so I topped it off and the light went out for a day or so. It came back on again for a day then went out again and has not been on for over a month. BTW did you take it to a car wash. Sometimes getting water around were the switch is for the light will cause it come on. Give it another day or so and see what happens.
Old 08-10-2006, 08:15 PM
redass02gt
EXTREME Moderation

add coolant/water mix when cold
Old 08-10-2006, 08:15 PM
lizzyfan
Underboss

Also, I wouldn't let Midas OR Pep Boys for that matter put air in my tires.
Old 08-10-2006, 11:53 PM
Emann0007
5th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: lizzyfan

Something similar happened to me. Light came on so I topped it off and the light went out for a day or so. It came back on again for a day then went out again and has not been on for over a month. BTW did you take it to a car wash. Sometimes getting water around were the switch is for the light will cause it come on. Give it another day or so and see what happens.
I did wash my car last night.... I'm going out of town in the morning. Flying out. So the car will sit idle for the next 4 or 5 days. I'll top it off and see what happens when I get back. Thanks guys.
Old 08-10-2006, 11:55 PM
99gtstang
5th Gear Member

i had the same problem when i flushed mine last week... unplug your sensor dry everything out and plug in if needed disco battery for 15 min... mine went away
Old 08-11-2006, 12:32 AM
tripsevn7
Moderating with Angels

i would fill when cold, drive it to get it up to temp and then look for leaks. is your intake manifold the original or is it the decent one with the metal crossover tube. i had a similiar problem with my 98, turned out to be a crack below the t stat housing that was leaking coolant out slowly at first. then it literally blew chunks. for about a month though it was seeping just enough to leak without being noticable under the car.
Old 08-11-2006, 12:33 AM
quarterhorse
2nd Gear Member

i just changed mine from water to coolant. and u just gotta keep topping it off until it gets full. it will suck some down everyday til it gets full

Quick Reply: low coolant light