MustangForums.com

MustangForums.com (https://mustangforums.com/forum/index.php)
-   4.6L (1996-2004 Modular) Mustang (https://mustangforums.com/forum/4-6l-1996-2004-modular-mustang-7/)
-   -   Manually shifting an auto (https://mustangforums.com/forum/4-6l-1996-2004-modular-mustang/164865-manually-shifting-an-auto.html)

02DKBLUE 08-11-2006 02:08 AM

Manually shifting an auto

i've been seaching all night for this answer and i haven't found much. I was just wondering if it is bad for me to manually shift my automatic trans? I have an 02 GT, when driving in Drive the 1-2 shift is very slow and smooth, yet when i do the 1-2 manually (letting it hit at about 5500RPM) it chirps hard into second and shifts must firmer, for this reason i perfer shifting it manually. My car is all stock and i was wondering if this is going to wear on my trans over time or if it is real bad for it. Sorry if it is a dumb question but i definatlly don't want to fu** up my car. TIA

ackuric 08-11-2006 02:14 AM

RE: Manually shifting an auto

get a shift kit/m,odified valve body and it will shift like that all the time without manually shifting, and you'll love it.

or get a manual valve body (turn your auto to a manual) you'll have to shift it manually.

dont forget a tranny cooler, keep that tranny coooool!

ackuric 08-11-2006 02:15 AM

oh and it is sorda bad, if you do it a lot, and for racing. racing on any car isnt good for it, but we all do it, just dont hit 5,550 rpms 5,550 times in a week.

MustangMan00 08-11-2006 02:15 AM

it wont be bad to upshift, but never downshift, i asked when i was gettin my car tuned about that

GT_Bob 08-11-2006 02:16 AM

I'm not going to give you an answer, just my opinion.

I had a stick so I don't know what the shift point is set at with an auto regarding rpm's. Saying that, I wouldn't think "auto" shifting the automatic at 5.5K is going to hurt it in the short run. Long term though, think about it, that poor auto tranny, (not to mention motor), was never designed to run that hard frequently.

Just my .02

ackuric 08-11-2006 02:17 AM

you can downshift into 2nd gear in our autos (99-04) if going under 45, you can also manually downshift to 1st, if going 2-3 mph, lol. and going in and out of overdrive, is obviously acceptable, just dont go out of overdrive if you're flying at 150 mph somehow. oh and dont try to go 150 mph. in an auto, its probably goverened anyway =p

02DKBLUE 08-11-2006 02:19 AM

i've been looking into these different valve bodies... are they something i can install myself or do i have to take it to the shop. i'm still not exactly sure what they do or even where they go. BTW, thanks for the crazy fast responces...

02DKBLUE 08-11-2006 02:22 AM

dont try to go 150 mph. in an auto, its probably goverened anyway =p
i've got 142mph and it was still creepin up... only once though, too dangerous for me, not to mention i just got a speeding ticket [:@]

ackuric 08-11-2006 02:27 AM

if you buy an aftermarket valve body, you can darn well do it. IF you have a half decent set of tools. and a half of a brain =)

you'd be draining the tq conv, dropping the valve body, replacing a filter, maybe replace 2 springs, some say its better to leave the stock ones in, and wallah, refill with 12-15 qts of tranny fluid.

wish i did that, i spent 500$ and had a transgo kit professionally installed

MustangMan00 08-11-2006 02:27 AM

ah i went 135 thats the highest ive been........IMO get the car tuned when u get something done to it that requires a tune....like i got a dyno tune after i got gears installed, cuz the computer is off cuz of the diff. ratio of the rear gears so i got it tuned, they changed the shifts points, firmness, i got like 20 more horses, etc. itll feel like a brand new car......and even with my 315's out back i can bark 2nd with me and another person in the car